A 75-year-old man was sentenced to one year of probation Friday after he pleaded no contest to charges of aggravated child endangerment earlier this year in a plea agreement.
District Judge Peggy Kittel sentenced William Kilgore, who was arrested in 2012 and originally charged with two counts of aggravated indecent liberties with a child stemming from events alleged to have occurred in 2011.
Kilgore’s defense claimed that William “Billy” Kilgore III, Kilgore’s grandson, who has a 2003 molestation conviction, had been living in Kilgore’s basement. But in a September 2013 decision Kittel found that the defense did not provide enough evidence to connect Billy Kilgore to the crime William Kilgore had been charged with.
In January, William Kilgore agreed to plead guilty to putting the victim in a dangerous situation.
Stacey Schlimmer, Kilgore’s attorney, said he wanted to avoid trial so the victim wouldn’t need to testify.
The courtroom was packed with Kilgore’s supporters. Kittel said the plea and sentencing did not resolve the original allegations. As part of his probation, Kilgore is prohibited from contacting anyone under the age of 18. Assistant District Attorney Mark Simpson, who led the prosecution, said Kilgore’s actions “continue to play out in very negative ways” for the victim.