Agency: SHICK Medicare Counselors
Contact: Criss Tomlin at 842-0543
Douglas County Senior Services Inc., in cooperation with Senior Health Insurance Counseling for Kansas, or SHICK, is recruiting volunteers to become trained SHICK counselors who provide guidance to seniors about Medicare-related issues. Training will be in Lawrence on Aug. 5-6. After completion of training, volunteers may choose to offer guidance as a comprehensive Medicare counselor assisting beneficiaries in all areas of Medicare, or they may choose to help with open enrollment for Medicare managed care and prescription drug plans. For more information, please contact Criss Tomlin, SHICK coordinator at Douglas County Senior Services, 842-0543.
• Independence Inc. strives to maximize independence for people with disabilities through advocacy, training and transportation. It is looking for energetic and creative committee members to help plan some upcoming events for the agency. If you like to plan parties/events, Independence Inc. wants to hear from you. To volunteer, please contact email@example.com or at 841-0333.
• Visiting Nurses is a nonprofit providing home health care and hospice services for our community. Visiting Nurses is looking for patient companion volunteers. Work directly with hospice patients and families by providing needed companionship for patients and/or respite for primary caregivers in home settings or care facilities. Volunteers must commit to one year of service and be available for regular weekly assignments, preferably having some morning and/or early afternoon availability on weekdays. Volunteers need to be caring, flexible and good listeners. Mandatory hospice training will be provided. No medical knowledge required. Please contact Sarah Rooney at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 843-3738, to volunteer.
• StopGap Inc. provides support, education and assistance to youth aging out of foster care in Douglas County. StopGap is looking for a volunteer to assist with website design and updating. For more information, please contact Justine Burton at email@example.com or at 856-7833.
• Tenants to Homeowners Inc. strives to empower tenants to become homeowners through managing an inventory of affordable housing options and providing programs for education, construction and creative financing. Tenants to Homeowners is looking for volunteers with good interpersonal skills who would like to help solicit donations or in-kind contributions or help plan for the Every Home Can Be a Castle fall fundraiser. For more information, please contact Robert Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 785-842-5495.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Douglas County provides one-to-one relationships for children facing adversity. Are you looking to make a difference in the life of a young boy in our community? For a few hours a couple times a month, you can give a “Little” the invaluable gift of your friendship.
Do you have a lot of energy and love sports? Big Brothers Big Sisters has a 7-year-old boy who is excited to have a Big Brother. This little guy is talkative, outgoing and enjoys spending time outdoors. If you have always wanted to be a mentor and you are a male, couple or family, this might be your opportunity. To make a difference in the life of this young man, please contact Stacie Salverson-Schroeder at 843-7359, ext 112, or at email@example.com.
— For more volunteer opportunities, please contact Shelly Hornbaker at the United Way Roger Hill Volunteer Center at 785-865-5030 or at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.volunteerdouglascounty.org.