Archive for Friday, June 13, 2014

LPD issues more than 500 seat belt violations during a recent enforcement campaign

June 13, 2014

Lawrence Police officers issued more than 500 seat belt tickets during a two-week campaign last month aimed at vigorously enforcing seat belt laws.

Between May 19 and June 1, officers issued 503 seat belt violations to adult vehicle occupants, six to occupants ages 14 to 17 and three citations to drivers with unrestrained young children.

Lawrence Police Department spokesman Sgt. Trent McKinley said the statistics prove that many motorists continue traveling without proper restraints and, in some cases, with unprotected children in the vehicle.

The Kansas Department of Transportation funded the enforcement campaign.

Comments

Brett McCabe 4 months, 1 week ago

A complete and total waste of time. A great way to raise money, though.

Tom Thomson 4 months, 1 week ago

Yes, it's definitely a waste of time to pull somebody over for not wearing a seat belt. I'm sure the many people killed in traffic accidents over the years would have been happy to get pulled over and had their belt on, potentially saving their lives, vs. the alternative..

Scott Morgan 4 months, 1 week ago

Total waste, when this new law was test ballooned of course the folks in charge endlessly promised nobody would ever be pulled over simply because they were not using the neck breaking belt.

Actually it was promised there would be no fine. Next, the fines will go up, and insurance companies will begin to reap the rewards by increasing insurance.

Ron Holzwarth 4 months, 1 week ago

The rewards that will be reaped by the insurance companies will be collected by the greatly reduced injury and death claims that they will have to pay for. And, if a statistically significant number of people start to wear their seat belts, insurance premiums will be reduced. They are based on claims history.

I am sorry that you don't understand basic Newtonian physics, and how claims history is the basis of the cost of insurance.

Clark Coan 4 months, 1 week ago

If I recall correctly, it's only a $10 fine and court costs. Not much of a deterrent.

Clark Coan 4 months, 1 week ago

If I recall correctly, it's only a $10 fine and no court costs. Not much of a deterrent.

Ron Holzwarth 4 months, 1 week ago

Death is a rather high deterrent, and least tens of thousands of people have paid that penalty over the years.

But on the bright side, it is the less educated and less well read people that don't wear their seat belts. What that means is that the general level of intelligence and education of the population is evolving to a higher level at the most rapid rate that the world has ever seen.

Rick Johnson 4 months, 1 week ago

Ron, it is called the natural selection process! It usually involves those with a low IQ and you are right, less educated!

Leslie Swearingen 4 months, 1 week ago

Oh, well, who is being a snob? Less education and not well read people tend to not value their own lives? Really?

Their is an excellent place downtown that has quite a few books that you can read for free. You don't have to have a college education to check out a book from the library. There are many people who are curious and who love to read and who learn new things every day simply because they choose to.

Ron Holzwarth 4 months, 1 week ago

Leslie, your comment does not follow a logical thread. You asked: "Less education and not well read people tend to not value their own lives?"

It is very possible that someone who does not read much is not aware that tens of thousands of people have been crushed to death after being thrown out of a car window. That is a very common way to die. Not being able or willing to read makes a person unaware of that method of death.

A "college education" has very little to do with an education, in my opinion. I know many people with a college degree that I, well, I won't say that, but I think you know what I mean.

What is required for an education is the desire to learn new things. And yes, it is necessary to choose to do so before that is possible.

I don't think you understood my comment very well. And, for the record, I do not have a college degree.

"Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge."
- Mark Twain

Scott Morgan 4 months, 1 week ago

Perhaps I read too much check out the anti-seatbelt studies out there. Oh, do you folks only read what your prior beliefs allow you.