Archive for Friday, June 6, 2014

2 cases of measles confirmed in northeast Kansas

June 6, 2014

State health officials have confirmed two cases of measles in northeast Kansas and say they may be connected to four cases in a nearby Missouri county.

The Kansas Department of Public Health said Friday the two measles cases were confirmed in Johnson County.

KDHE spokeswoman Aimee Rosenow told Kansas Public Radio they involve a child who was not vaccinated for measles, and an adult whose vaccination status is uncertain. She says those two people are connected.

Rosenow also said the Johnson County patients may have had contact with some of the four people in Clay County, Mo., who were confirmed to have measles in mid-May. Those patients included an unvaccinated infant who was diagnosed with the contagious respiratory disease after the family returned from traveling abroad.

There have been no cases of measles reported in Douglas County, according to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

Comments

Shelly Welcher 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Pretty sure had my son's doctor actually taken the time to test for measles, the outcome would be different for Douglas County! However, it's pretty easy to say it's just viral!

Greg DiVilbiss 9 months, 3 weeks ago

About 30,000 cases of adverse reactions to vaccines have been reported annually to the federal government since 1990, with 13% classified as serious, meaning associated with permanent disability, hospitalization, life-threatening illness, or death. According to the CDC, infants (children less than one year old) are at greatest risk for adverse medical events from vaccination including high fevers, seizures, and sudden infant death syndrome.

13% based on the 30,000 cases reported as being serious is 3,900 children with permanent disability, hospitalization, life-threatening illness, or death. I would say that it is worth at least doing some research.

With regard to a vaccine I received that was contaminated with SV40 (Monkey Virus) ....U.S. Public Health Service officials were worried. Tests had found SV40 in both the Sabin and Salk vaccines - it was later estimated that as much as a third of the Salk vaccine was tainted - and that SV40 was causing cancer in lab animals....The first public disclosure that the Salk vaccine was contaminated came in the New York Times on July 26, 1961.....

....But the NCI recently acknowledged that there is evidence to suggest that SV40 "may be associated with human cancer." The NCI statement, released last month, also said that SV40's interaction with "tumor suppressor proteins" indicates "possible mechanisms that could contribute to the development of cancer."

One of my children received a Hepatitis B vaccine that was later recalled. hmmm....Oooops.

The US has currently paid out through the National Vaccine Injury Compensation plan since 1989 when it started 2.7 BILLION Dollars. It has been growing exponentially. Total Outlays last year were $276,424,636.81 for YTD they have paid out...so far to 154 people $96,908,635.33.

Yes vaccines are safe and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Here is a link to the Gov Statistics provided by HRSA. http://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/statisticsreport.pdf

Glenn Reed 9 months, 3 weeks ago

You're misunderstanding and/or misrepresenting the data you find. I really have no polite words, and others have done the research to counter your arguments... so I won't try to go into it here.

What I DO have for you is a simple-yet-ingenious approach to the argument by Penn and Teller.

MerriAnnie Smith 9 months, 3 weeks ago

You're focusing too hard on a few trees and failing to see the forest.

When I was young, I knew nine people who had Polio or had had it at one time. I knew people who were permanently crippled from it. One was my best friend.

When my brother was ten he was thought to have Polio and put into the only Polio ward in Louisiana, which was the Charity Hospital in New Orleans. There we saw wards and wards full of children with Polio. My brother was eventually determined to have Rheumatic Fever and Rheumatoid Arthritis, thank goodness.

When I was a child I had measles three times. Every child I knew had it at least once.

Vaccinations have all but eradicated most of the worst diseases in this country. Many, many thousands of people are alive today because of it.

And yet you focus on a handful of people in an attempt to destroy the confidence people have in vaccinations. Since I have known thousands of people who have been vaccinated in my 70 years, and have never known a single person to get seriously ill or to die from them, I must say, your goal to destroy the vaccination program is disturbing to say the least.

This world need more vaccinations, not less. I doubt there is anything in the world we can do that is totally without any risk. How about if we all just hid in a cave and slowly died there? Would that make you feel better?

James Howlette 9 months, 3 weeks ago

You're familiar with the reports that people have entered into VAERS that vaccines turned them into the Incredible Hulk and Wonder Woman, right? Anyone can enter anything. It's only later that they research the claims and refine them into actual reports.

James Howlette 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Here's the math. Odds of a serious negative reaction to the measles vaccine: one in one million. Odds of a serious negative reaction to an actual case of the measles: one in one thousand. Here's Roald Dahl's account of his daughter's case of measles: http://www.roalddahlfans.com/articles/meas.php

Trying to argue that the odds are higher because of the VAERS system is just an ignorant misunderstanding of how that system works. Even so, I guarantee you that you're not going to find a risk of an adverse reaction higher than the risks of actual measles. I'll take a sore arm any day over brain swelling and death.

It's not just your choice, either. If you don't vaccinate your kids, they can potentially carry those one in a thousand odds of serious reactions to kids too young to be vaccinated and kids with weakened immune systems that can't be vaccinated. What you do for your kids impacts what happens to our kids. So unless you plan on raising your children on some island where they don't ever come in contact with other people, make sure you vaccinate them.

Greg DiVilbiss 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I made no comment whether you should vaccinate or not. What I did suggest is rather than blindly following, you should research for yourself you are not being fed the whole story. I believe that you should think for yourself and make an informed decision.

They did not pay out 276 Million Dollars last year alone because people were not getting hurt...they paid it out because they are...That is why it is called the Vaccine Injury Compensation Fund. The Key being "Vaccine Injury".

If you judge the risk of disease is greater than the risk of a problem with a vaccine, than by all means get vaccinated. But for me before I have someone inject me with something I am not going to do it...Just because they say so....I am going to weigh the risks and benefits.

According to the CDC their high estimate is that .00003% of Children who contract Measles will die from the disease. That may be enough of a risk to warrant vaccination.

Just for perspective, according to the census You have a 1.81% of dying in a car accident. One of the top 20 ways people die.

Why don't we get alarmed about Excessive Antibiotic use. How people who get treated with unneeded antibiotics are endangering us all? The Mayo clinic says this...

If you think antibiotic resistance isn't a problem or doesn't affect you, think again. A prominent example of the dangers of antibiotic resistance is the spread of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). MRSA was once a concern only for people in the hospital, but a newer form of MRSA is causing infections in healthy people in the community.

Antibiotic resistance is a global health problem. Nearly all significant bacterial infections in the world are becoming resistant to commonly used antibiotics. When you misuse antibiotics, you help create resistant microorganisms that can cause new and hard-to-treat infections. That's why the decisions you make about using antibiotics — unlike almost any other medicine you take — have far-reaching consequences. Be responsible in how you use antibiotics to protect your health and that of your family, neighbors and community.

BTW how many drugs have been taken off of the market that were once thought of as safe?

James Howlette 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Sure, Greg. You made no attempt to suggest people not vaccinate. You just attempted to stir up FUD - fear, uncertainty, and doubt, and you used bad statistics and poor arguments to do so. You're following it up with the classic argument that people should do "their own research" on the matter, but I have to say that if they're as bad at researching as you are, we're all in trouble.

For instance, your claim that the CDC estimates only .00003% of children who contract measles will die from it? Well, when I go to the actual CDC website, what I see is this:

"For every 1,000 children who get measles, 1 or 2 will die from it.." That's actually .001 or .002% Quite a bit more of a risk than .00003%! http://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/complications.html

If we all "do our own research," assuming that by that you mean following the advice of epidemiologists and vaccinologists and reputable scientific literature on the subject, we're going to conclude that we should vaccinate our children.

I don't want my kids to die in a car OR from a vaccine-preventable disease. The odds of them dying from being struck by lightening is lower than both of those things, but I'm not going to let them play outside during thunderstorms. The rest of your post is a typical goalpost moving maneuver. Vaccines aren't antibiotics. If anything, we should be more inclined to make sure our kids are vaccinated, since antibiotic resistance would make it even more difficult to treat the complications of vaccine-preventable diseases.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 9 months, 3 weeks ago

It seems to me like those who are against vaccines are very young and do not remember how awful some of these diseases were. They haven't lived through the fear of polio, or children dying of smallpox and measles.

Shelly Welcher 9 months, 3 weeks ago

My son was able to get one MMR vaccine but not his second because he has autim. When he was suppose to get the vaccine it was during the time that all the BS was going on that the MMR was causing autism. Other than that, my children are completely up to date with their vaccines!