• Will Katz announced that he earned his Certified Valuation Analyst credential from the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts. Katz is the director of Kansas University's Small Business Development Center.
• The Metabolic Research Center announced the addition of Lauren Lane, weight loss consultant and registered dietitian, to its staff.
Lane, a graduate of the University of Dayton, became a certified dietitian in 2011.
• The Golf Course Superintendents Association of American has added Daniel Jansen-Conkey and Amanda Miller to its staff. Jansen-Conkey will be facilities coordinator and Miller will be a conference education events manager.
• The Visiting Nurses Association will celebrate its 45th year with an open house from 4-6 p.m. Feb. 12 at its offices, 200 Main St. The VNA provides health and hospice care in the Lawrence and Topeka areas.
• The Veterans of Foreign Wars, Post 852, recently honored three area first-responders for their service. They are: Lt. Miguel Armenta, a Lawrence EMT; Brady Simmons, a Haysville police officer; and Mark Nietzke, a Leavenworth firefighter.
• The Kansas Board of Accountancy announced that four people from Lawrence successfully passed their CPA examinations: Caleb Bucher, Amanda Boehmler, Matthew Prescott and Shannon Miller.
• Lawrence businesses supported a Boys & Girls Club of Lawrence shopping trip Saturday for Youth of the Year candidates. The youth were shopping for outfits for the Youth of the Year event in February. Businesses participating included Weaver’s Department Store, Envy, Fortuity, TCBY/Mrs. Fields and Fuzzy’s Tacos.