Archive for Thursday, August 28, 2014

No students hurt when Lawrence school bus, car collide

August 28, 2014, 5:15 p.m. Updated August 28, 2014, 5:52 p.m.

A school bus sits in the intersection of 14th and Massachusetts streets after a car accident, Thursday, Aug. 28, 2014. The children on the bus were not injured.

A woman was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for minor injuries after a Lawrence school bus struck her Toyota Corolla at 14th and Massachusetts streets just before 4:30 p.m. Thursday. No one on the bus was hurt.

The bus was taking students home from Cordley Elementary at the time, Lawrence Public Schools Director of Communications Julie Boyle said.

Sgt. Laurie Powell with the Lawrence Police Department said the woman in the Toyota was driving northbound when she ran a red light at the intersection. The school bus was traveling west and had a green light when it struck the vehicle.

The driver’s side of the Toyota appeared damaged. The school bus appeared to suffer minimal damage and was driven from the scene following the incident.

Cordley Elementary notified parents of the crash and of the delay in students returning home, Boyle said.

The Lawrence Police Department and Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical are investigating the crash.

Comments

Rae Smith Evans 1 year ago

That is a horrible intersection. People are always running red lights right there.

Mike Edson 1 year ago

I bet the woman in the Corolla was texting.

Susan Mangan 1 year ago

With all of the stupid knee-jerk comments about cell phones, you'd think there were NO accidents before about 1995. Yes, texting and driving is extremely dangerous, but, believe it or not, there were still THOUSANDS (if not more) of crashes every year, before they existed. Some people are just crappy drivers...period. Blaming idiotic driving, or speeding, or racing through red lights because someone needs to get home "quickly", shifts the blame from the driver toa stupid gadget. Some of you act like you think crashes just wouldn't happen without cell phones. They do...very often.

James Garvey 1 year ago

Doesn't take much thought (or intelligence) to blame texting!!

Mike Edson 1 year ago

So.... I take it that you know the driver who drove in front of a school bus full of children? I am guessing the both of you think you can text and drive. Go ahead. I see it happen everyday in this town. It is kinda hard to miss a large yellow school bus if you are even somewhat paying attention.

Susan Mangan 1 year ago

You, clearly, didn't read my previous post before replying. I SAID texting while driving is extremely dangerous. But it amazes me how many ignorant people out there assume that, without texting, or cell phones, accidents wouldn't happen. You obviously weren't alive before 1995. Cell phones are a relatively new phenomenon. Crashes are not. And...brace yourself...some people are just bad drivers...period.

Mike Edson 1 year ago

Oh, it is still the driver's fault.

Jeff Rice 1 year ago

How would the bus hit the Driver's side of a northbound car if it was traveling west. I saw the aftermath as I passed through the intersection and the car was obviously pointed south. Not that this is a huge issue, but I believe the article is wrong...

Brian Yeager 1 year ago

I drove by the accident, too. I guess it looked much worse than it was. There was definitely a part of the bus sticking out of the driver's side of the car.

EJ Mulligan 1 year ago

LJW, when might we have an update on the accident investigation and what caused the driver to hit the bus? Also, any update on the driver's medical status at LMH?