Archive for Thursday, April 3, 2014

Kansas lawmakers avoiding big abortion debate

April 3, 2014

— Top Republican legislators are blocking a debate in Kansas on banning most abortions early in pregnancy while engineering passage of a bill to make technical changes in anti-abortion laws.

The Legislature has strong GOP and anti-abortion majorities in each chamber. The handling of abortion issue this year reflects a split among abortion opponents over tactics for further limiting the termination of pregnancies.

Some anti-abortion lawmakers favor banning most abortions when a fetal heartbeat can be detected, sometimes as early as the sixth week of pregnancy.

But other abortion foes fear enacting such a law would lead to court rulings not only striking down such a ban but eliminating restrictions already in place.

Yet abortion opponents also want to make technical changes in existing restrictions to address legal issues.

Comments

Bob Forer 8 months, 3 weeks ago

When will the dense right wing finally learn basic constitutional law principles, mainly, that a state law that restricts personal liberties beyond what is permissible as set forth in U.S. Supreme Court decsions is simply violative of our Constititon and not enforceable. It's a plain and simple concept that 12 year olds should be able to grasp.

James Howlette 8 months, 3 weeks ago

But if they get their laws thrown out as unconstitutional, it's a double win. They can campaign that they passed the law and then campaign that they need to pass even more laws and yet not have to deal with the consequences of actually having done anything.

Don Frey 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Thank you for restating the obvious. When will they ever learn? Of course their reasons are political and want only to make headlines e.g. "see, we tried."

Andrew Stahmer 8 months, 3 weeks ago

As I've said many times before...

I'm glad that YOU (dear reader) were not aborted, and I would hope you'd extend that same courtesy to the next generation.

Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day!

James Howlette 8 months, 3 weeks ago

I'd prefer everyone extend the courtesy of only populating the world with wanted children.

Shawn House 8 months, 3 weeks ago

There is this new thing called birth control. Don't they teach that in high school?

James Howlette 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Not if the KS legislature gets their way. Even so, there's a chance birth control will fail - not to mention your faulty assumption that all acts of sex occur between willing partners.

Shawn House 8 months, 3 weeks ago

People should use birth control if they do not want children. You can also put the baby up for adoption if birth control does not work. There are plenty of people who would be willing to adopt unwanted children as well. Wouldn't you agree It's much better than waiting until a child is conceived and then murder them? If you were an unwanted child, wouldn't you want the chance to live? Would you really rather be murdered, than to be abused or mistreated. Do you know a woman who had an abortion, and she did not live to regret it? I have Muscular Dystrophy and thank God every day that my mother chose life. I feel sorry for you, that you cannot put a face on an unborn child.

James Howlette 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Are you going to volunteer to use your body to incubate all these unwanted pregnancies? It's awfully generous of you. I hope you also remember to take plenty of time off of work for routine health exams from the magical unlimited time off from work tree, eat right, avoid alcohol even if you would otherwise have enjoyed it, and get a lot more rest than you'd normally need, I also hope you didn't plan on doing anything too strenuous or interviewing for a new job during this time, because that's right out. Oh, and there's a greater chance that something will happen to your health while you're doing all this generous incubating, like needing major surgery in order to extract this child you didn't want or plan to have and a greater chance of death.

But yes, back to your argument. I believe it went blah blah blah "murder." I'm afraid that argument only flies with someone who believes a zygote is a person. I'm not one of those people.

James Howlette 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Oh, and to answer your other question. Do I know women who had abortions and didn't live to regret it? Yes. I know several. All the women I know who got abortions, in fact. Contrary to what you've been told, most women who get abortions don't regret the decision.

Matt Needham 8 months, 3 weeks ago

If you list their accomplishments it would appear that they have successfully avoided working on many of the problems that affect Kansans every day.

Don Frey 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Notice it's most only the men who pontificate on right to life issues.