Archive for Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Lawrence police investigating Tuesday robbery of pizza delivery driver

September 25, 2013

Lawrence police are searching for a suspect in a Tuesday evening robbery of a pizza delivery driver.

A 21-year-old Pizza Hut driver arrived at an unoccupied building under renovation in the 2200 block of West 26th St. just before 9 p.m. After the driver took a few steps down a staircase, the suspect emerged with a handgun and demanded the driver’s cash, said Kim Murphree, a Lawrence Police Department spokeswoman.

The suspect fled the scene with the victim’s cash and the pizza.

Police say the driver described the suspect as a light-skinned black male in his late 20s or early 30s, between 6 feet 4 inches and 6 feet 5 inches tall, with an average build and a mustache He was last seen wearing a light gray hooded sweatshirt and baggy, bleached blue jeans. The driver was not injured during the robbery and police are still investigating the incident.

Comments

Bob Forer 1 year, 3 months ago

Too bad they don't have exploding dye packs for pizzas delivery guys like they do at banks.

50YearResident 1 year, 3 months ago

I would think a vacant building would raise a red flag for a pizza delivery man, Gee, I wonder where all the people are..........and no lights on?

patkindle 1 year, 3 months ago

could be a young man just trying to put food on his familys table or just another doper looking for some easy money,

Topple 1 year, 3 months ago

Do we need to distinguish the criminal's motivation?

I don't rob people when I get hungry.

blindrabbit 1 year, 3 months ago

Tear down that entire area from Alabama west to Iowa between 23rd an 27th. Too much no good going on over there!

Zype 1 year, 3 months ago

You do realize that the address in the article is not in your little demolition area, right?

lucyjj 1 year, 3 months ago

I was robbed on a pizza delivery at a house on New Jersey St. in the 70s. It was a vacant house and the porch was dark. I knolcked on the door and then was pulled into the house and knocked around before they took my delivery wallet and my personal wallet. I had delivered pizzas for a couple of years with no incidents - with some of the places being pretty dark (curtains can be closed making a house look dark - many people forget to turn on a porch light). After my experience, I told my boss that I would not deliver if I could not tell immediately from the street that the address was occupied. Today with cell phones, that should be standard practice.

Bob Forer 1 year, 3 months ago

One of these days, a thug will make the mistake of going after a delivery driver with a conceal and carry permit.

Lathrup 1 year, 3 months ago

You would kill over a pizza and a few bucks?

John Hamm 1 year, 3 months ago

Yep. Because you don't know what they would do the next time.

Jason Johnson 1 year, 3 months ago

I would, yes. Someone pulls a gun on me, they get shot. If someone is willing to threaten with a gun, who says they won't carry out that threat?

patkindle 1 year, 3 months ago

it sounds like some dirt bag in a hoodie was ready to do just that

Richard Ballard 1 year, 3 months ago

'You would kill over a pizza and a few bucks?'

You betcha!

If a thug confronted me with a handgun to rob me?

Only one of us is walking away!

And hopefully, it will be me and not him.

rc

parrothead8 1 year, 3 months ago

Why isn't it okay for both of you to walk away? That's what happened in this instance. Whipping out a gun to kill someone who just wants money and a pizza doesn't make you any better of a person.

BitterClinger 1 year, 3 months ago

I get threatened with a gun, I will defend myself. If that involves shooting the bad guy, it's the decsion the bad guy made when he pulled a firearm and pointed it at me.

patkindle 1 year, 3 months ago

since the hoodie guy had a gun, I suspect he was not supportive of the efforts of the crowds like the NRA that endorse people owning guns to protect themselves from robbers

stevieboy 1 year, 3 months ago

Where is George Zimmerman when you need him...

gatekeeper 1 year, 3 months ago

Threatening his soon-to-be ex-wife and in-laws and waiting to see if he'll face prosecution. Also trying to dodge the cops in the town he now lives in that want him gone because they know he's really a threat (look it up, it's true).