Archive for Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Bicylist injured after colliding with vehicle on East 23rd Street

September 24, 2013

A 29-year-old Lawrence man riding a bicycle down the 900 block of East 23rd Street was sent to Lawrence Memorial Hospital Tuesday night with a nonlife-threatening injury after colliding with a vehicle.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Ted Bordman, both the vehicle, driven by a 49-year-old Baldwin City man, and the bicycle were traveling east down the road, with the driver in the center lane and the bicyclist on the far right, near the curb. The bicyclist attempted to change lanes to the inside when the two hit each other, Bordman said.

Lawrence Memorial Hospital was unable to provide an update on the bicyclist's condition. The driver was not injured.

Comments

Hoots 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I ride and I try to find the least traveled streets I can to get from A to B. No way I;m going to risk Iowa, 23rd, Kasold, 6th, Mass or any other super busy street. I've done this since I was a kid. Sometimes I drive down the road in this town and wonder if anyone is watching the road. Usually they're looking at their crotch to see or respond to the latest breaking news on their phone. The breaking news is you're about to crash into something if you don't look up soon. Due to my job I drive many hours on the streets of this town every day. I can't tell you how many fixed object crashes I've seen over the past few years. People talking and texting on their phones often have no idea where there car is in relation to the world as they are in cyber space texting. I've seen people hit poles, curds, medians, traffic calming devices, and other cars because they were looking at a smart phone screen. More than once I've seen the whole front wheel and suspension torn from under a car because the driver hit a curb or a high median. I saw these first hand and could see the driver texting. I saw two in one day. You know what? I didn't feel one bit sorry for any of them. I just drove on while looking at these idiots. These idiots with the dumb look on their faces. They were so confused as to why the car they were driving was now a wreck. The only thing I was thankful for is that they did't kill someone or crash into me.

purplesage 6 months, 3 weeks ago

It doesn't sound like the driver is the problem.

Bicyclists do not belong in traffic. They sure don't belong in the middle of a traffic lane, legal or not. They should ride on the curb and cross at corners.

Before you jump all over me, I am a cyclist. I ride to the right of the line markng the trafic lane and do not sit in an intersection with automobiles, trucks and buses.

kernal 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Given that many tenants and most KU students don't get water bills, it would be nice if landlords and KU shared that info with tenants and students since they comprise at least half of the bike riders in Lawrence.

jafs 6 months, 3 weeks ago

In our most recent city water bill, there was an insert that gave a lot of good information about how to ride correctly and safely on bicycles in the city.

I can only hope that people read, digest, and follow the information given there.

FarleyM 6 months, 3 weeks ago

To save lives, bikes should be banned from busy streets like Iowa or 23rd. If we can save just one life, it is worth it.

smileydog 6 months, 3 weeks ago

What's up with the right hand lane of Lawrence Avenue north of 6th Street converted to a large bicycle lane? I never see anyone riding on there, and can a car drive onto one if they're turning right? That goes for Princeton as well. What is the cost/benefit analysis of all the huge and nice concrete bicycle sidewalks down Clinton Parkway that some refuse to use for their bicycle and prefer the cheap asphalt and dangerous street instead? It seems Lawrence spends an extraordinary amount of money for bicyclists that hardly any bicyclist use.

Hoots 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Would anyone here want to ride down 23rd street on a bicycle? You couldn't pay me enough. People are way too busy on their phones today. Even prior to mobile phones this would have been dangerous. When I ride anywhere I take side streets and avoid busy roads. I'm usually on my way to the levy and trails where it's safe. I'll take dodging trees over dealing with traffic anytime.

kernal 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I suspect part of the problem is that local bicyclists don't know they can legally ride on uncongested sidewalks in Lawrence, with the exception of downtown Lawrence. I grew up in a town where it was illegal to ride a bike on sidewalks except in residential neighborhoods, so when I moved here I assumed the same rule applied and didn't learn the truth of the matter until just a few years ago.

jack22 6 months, 3 weeks ago

There are bad drivers everywhere who speed, don't use signals, don't stop at stop signs, talk on the phone, text, etc. and of all those bad drivers the ones on bikes scare me the least. I hope the bike rider is ok, too, they're the ones who usually get hurt in this type of accident regardless of who the bad driver was.

myop 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I saw this accident happen. It was approx. 7:15pm. I'm praying the cyclist recovers fully, it didn't look good at all. Everyone needs to exercise extreme caution driving, riding, running, walking, whatever and wherever. We should all look out for ourselves and one another. Be safe!

HutchSaltHawk 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Bicyclists and motorists should exercise caution and take responsibility while driving. The article does not say when the accident occurred, other than the bicyclist was sent to the hospital Tuesday night. However, I have observed on 23rd street several bicyclist riding at night without any lights on their bikes. While I am an avid bicyclist, I found this extremely dangerous as I could not see these individuals despite driving with my car headlights on. I have also observed at night several individuals riding in a group and turning in front of cars without providing any type of visible signal to the motorist. Regardless of the time of day and whether the bicyclist is "right," it does not matter if the bicyclist is injured or killed during an encounter with a car.

Carrie Coffey 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I totally agree with you KUGreenMachine, I was on 31st and Haskell and bike rider going east ran through the stop sign when I had to make a complete stop and the biker almost got creamed by a smaller car that could not be seen over my car. The bicylist flips the car owner off and I rolled my window down and told him "hey moron, slow down and make a complete stop...........your nine lives is about up" and drove off. Of course I got the finger too but I hope he got what I was saying??? Unless this article is about the same bicyclist???

KUGreenMachine 6 months, 3 weeks ago

First off, I hope this person is ok, which from this story seems like they will be. Now, it's amazing that this city gives bicycle riders their own lanes and their own freeways of giant sidewalks, but they continue to ride down the middle of the road. More often than not, I see bikes zip through red lights, stop signs and through street crossings without slowing down to give drivers a chance to see them. I see them pass stopped traffic and weave through lanes with total disregard for others. The sad thing is that there will be an immediate uproar defending the bikes and motorcycles saying that it is a car drivers responsibility to not hit them. No, actually it is not, it is the bike riders job to make sure they don't get hit. No, I'm not in any way saying that you shouldn't watch for bike riders, or that they deserve to get hit, I'm saying it's easier for a rider to avoid getting hit than it is for a driver to avoid hitting one. Bikes are obviously smaller and from what I've seen are more likely to make abrupt turns and come out of nowhere. My whole point in this is that I believe it is time for bicycle riders to take more responsibility for their actions, to educate bike riders on the rules of the road, and its time for someone to actually enforce traffic laws to bike riders the same way they are enforced on drivers.