Archive for Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Roberts, Jenkins remain opposed to military strike against Syria

September 10, 2013

After meetings on Tuesday with the White House, U.S. Sen. Pat Roberts and U.S. Rep. Lynn Jenkins, both Republicans from Kansas, reiterated their opposition to using the military in response to a chemical weapons attack in Syria.

After President Barack Obama met with the Senate, Roberts said, "This past month at home, not a single Kansan told me they supported military action in Syria."

And Roberts said he didn't believe a diplomatic proposal involving Russia and the United Nations to have Syrian President Bashar Assad give up chemical weapons was credible.

Roberts also criticized Obama, saying Kansans "are discouraged, concerned and disgusted with the lack of leadership within the administration. I share all of these sentiments. The actions displayed by the president and the secretary of state do not inspire confidence."

He said Obama was seeking a pause in a congressional vote on possible military action because the president knows it wouldn't pass. In a national TV address, Obama said a pause was needed to give diplomacy a chance.

But Obama said it was in the U.S. national interest to make sure tyrants aren't emboldened to use chemical weapons, such as poison gas.

"When with modest effort and risk we can stop children from being gassed to death and thereby make our own children safer over the long run, I believe we should act," he said.

Jenkins, whose district includes Lawrence, said after meeting with Vice President Biden at the White House that she remained against military action and hoped a diplomatic option would work.

"I remain unconvinced that military action against Syria is in our nation's best interest," Jenkins said.

In earlier statements, all of Kansas' congressional delegation opposed U.S. military intervention in Syria, except U.S. Rep. Mike Pompeo, R-Wichita.

Comments

Mike Ford 1 year, 9 months ago

man what a decade means when it comes to hypocracy and war mongering. these people couldn't say go fast enough for the wmds and yet their worst nightmare has occurred. A Democratic president using force. This president is going to the US Congress and this congress is acting like the children they are. Is there anything this congress won't throw a tantrum over? I remember Father Bush telling the Kurds to stand up to Saddam and the US would help them. The Kurds were gassed and the US and Bush #1 did nothing. If anyone wants to profess amnesia as a policy I'm glad to reminisce.

tomatogrower 1 year, 9 months ago

I think tuschkahouma would like to see our representatives just stop opposing things only because Obama supports them. It's starting to get old and not even funny anymore. McCain, who has been calling for us to get involved for a long time even has backed off, because he doesn't want to look like he is supporting Obama.

And they can't even give diplomacy support. Russia has a lot of reasons to make sure that this works, so they are putting a lot of pressure on Syria. And without Russia's support, the rebels could overrun. There is a very good chance that this could work.

globehead 1 year, 9 months ago

We also did nada after the Beirut bombing in 1983 after over 250 Marines were killed in their barracks. That was Ronald Reagan's response...nada! Now, those who worship Reagan as a modern day founding father want to impeach Obama after four people were killed serving their county in Benghazi. The hypocrisy of these people is maddening. If Obama should be impeached for this horrible event as they wish, then Reagan needs to be dug up and executed. Hypocrisy is a long standing tradition with these folks.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 9 months ago

Roberts and Jenkins are opposing action simply for political reasons.

Brock Masters 1 year, 9 months ago

So you want the Us to attack Syria? Who cares what the motivation as long as it is the right decision.

And how do you know what their motivation is- are you a mind reader?

I am against starting another war, but I guess you want to kill Syrians and risk American lives just to support Obama?

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 9 months ago

fred_mertz: Did you support the war in Iraq?

Liberty275 1 year, 9 months ago

I always did. Iraq invaded Kuwait and then violated the cease fire.

Brock Masters 1 year, 9 months ago

Nope and didn't support Bush either. My views are consistent regardless of who is president.

Brock Masters 1 year, 9 months ago

I was thinking nightmare. Lets say I did support the war in Iraq - so what? I could view them differently or maybe in time my views changed as I grew wiser. Again I ask so what if one supported the Iraq war bit not engaging in a war with Syria.

But it is moot because I haven't supported any of our unofficial wars.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 9 months ago

The GOP leadership in Congress is on the record as saying that they their main strategy is to oppose Obama at every turn, originally to make him a one-term president and now to weaken and undermine any action he takes.

You can understand then why I think Jenkins's and Roberts' positions are based on anti-Obama politics rather than true opposition to military action.

otto 1 year, 9 months ago

Or it could be because constituents have contacted them and let them know their views, have you?

chootspa 1 year, 9 months ago

I suspect there are very few politicians who don't have selective hearing when it comes to constituents, but I'm ok with them doing the right thing for the wrong reasons in this case. Obama should tell them he demands that they not raise the debt ceiling, too.

Trumbull 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm with you except for the debt ceiling. Not raising it will at worst put the US treasury in default (this will take our struggling economy to a screeching halt). At best it will lower our credit rating and increase the interest we pay on our debt. We must not confuse the debt ceiling with debt and budget deficits. Two different things.

jafs 1 year, 9 months ago

No, you misunderstand. If Obama demands they not raise the debt ceiling, they'll reflexively oppose that, and so the ceiling will be raised.

Brock Masters 1 year, 9 months ago

I've contacted mine and voiced my opposition to it.

chootspa 1 year, 9 months ago

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 9 months ago

How many time has Roberts supported war in Iraq,Afghanistan,Pakistan,Yemen and drones everywhere .

Jenkins goes with the pack

The GOP is playing election year politics and are comfortable that Obama will move ahead without their votes.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 9 months ago

Hey Sen Roberts and Lynn jenkins.

Shall we talk GOP leadership?

Republican DEFICIT EXPANDING FLATFORM Written In Stone:

--- This GOP ENTITLEMENT - TABOR is Coming by Grover Norquist = Grab Your Wallets! http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2005/0705rebne.html

--- This GOP ENTITLEMENT - Bailing out The Reagan/Bush Savings and Loan Heist aka home loan scandal sent the economy out the window costing taxpayers many many billions and millions of jobs, loss of retirement plans and loss of medical insurance. http://rationalrevolution0.tripod.com/war/bush_family_and_the_s.htm

--- This GOP ENTITLEMENT Bailing out the Bush/Cheney Home Loan Wall Street Bank Fraud cost consumers $ trillions, millions of jobs, loss of retirement plans and loss of medical insurance. Exactly like the Reagan/Bush home loan scam. Déjà vu can we say. Yep seems to be a pattern. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2009/0709macewan.html

--- This GOP ENTITLEMENT - Bush/Cheney implied many financial institutions were at risk instead of only 3? One of the biggest lies perpetrated to American citizens. Where did this money go? Why were some banks forced to take bail out money? http://www.democracynow.org/2009/9/10/good_billions_after_bad_one_year

--- RECKLESS GOP Tax cuts = THE GOP ENTITLEMENT program for the wealthy which do nothing to make an economy strong or produce jobs. Tax cuts are a tax increase to others in order to make up the loss in revenue = duped again. Bush Tax Cuts aka http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2001/0301miller.html

Richard Heckler 1 year, 9 months ago

Oh yes .... leadership.

Watergate and Iran Contra? This is leadership?

kanzen2424 1 year, 9 months ago

Never in my 60 years have I ever seen Republicans pass on a chance to start a war like they are in Syria. Looks like their dislike for the current "decider" outweighs even their inborn bloodlust.

getreal 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm sure if they could tie it to a repeal of Obamacare they would be all for it.

oldexbeat 1 year, 9 months ago

Reminder -- the owners of Kansas, of Roberts and of jenkins -- Koch Brothers Ltd LLC -- don't want the oil pipeline that runs from Iraq through Syria to the sea disrupted. Therefore, Roberts will be against doing anything to his friends in Syria.

That it is also against the President is a bonus. Roberts has never done anything I've asked him to do -- so it is not all the phone calls -- I don't think so. Say, Marriage Equality -- hey, Pat, I want that. Hear me loud. Oh, your god says no. I guess I'll write to your god in Wichita. Which Brother ?

globehead 1 year, 9 months ago

Sen. Roberts said: "“There is nothing I trust about the U.N., Russia or the Assad regime," Roberts said. "By offering this diplomatic path, we are simply providing a delayed mechanism for the president to pursue his goal of a military strike when the regime does not comply. At that time, I believe Kansans, and all Americans, will feel the same as they do today: opposed to military strikes in Syria.”

Let's get this straight! Sen. Roberts is against us attacking Syria. So, the U.N and Russia get involved to try to prevent us from attacking Syria. Rather than trying to work with them, he condemns them for trying to achieve what he says he wants to achieve. He hates Obama and the Russians and the U.N. so badly, that when they take opposite views from each other he cannot take either side. So, in essence, I must assume he is for the strike at exactly the same time he is against the strike. Otherwise, he can only be against the strike at exactly the same time he is for the strike.

Now that Obama has screwed this deal up, it's refreshing to know we have the kind of leadership in Sen. Roberts to....well, screw it up. It continues to make more of the same kind of sense that it still doesn't.

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 9 months ago

I guess I am a little cynical about the politics regarding Syria.

Somehow, I think this is about oil or the lack of it in Syria and the fact that new oil extraction technology has changed the industry. It is not about your definition of a "red line".

Money is not flowing into the war propaganda machine and the President is left to argue about morality and ethics and international law. Those are a hard sell these days. Someone somewhere is saying, "show me the money" and the President does not have the simplistic answer that these people like to hear, uncomplicated and with all the grey areas filtered out.

So I guess I am cynical in that I do not believe most Americans are independently acting according to their conscience on this issue and they are still in recovery mode from the "Great Recession".

I think I am cynical in that I know that no matter what happens, Goldman Sachs will probably make money off it.

If there was oil in Syria, many Americans might have a different opinion simply because propaganda can be very effective in influencing how we think.

globehead 1 year, 9 months ago

Just now, Sen. Pat Roberts was on am radio in Kansas City explaining that we cannot strike now because the president should have struck three years ago. That's, just great because the Syrian civil war is considered to have started on March 11, 2011 which is like 2 1/2 years ago. So, apparently, Sen. Roberts would have supported bombing Syria BEFORE the killing started. Just brilliant. I actually know a couple who spent three weeks in Syria in January & February 2011 on vacation and left five weeks before the civil war broke out. They loved the place...probably wouldn't have felt the same if they had been bombed.

You just gotta love these guys. If they were making hamburgers, the meat would be on the outside. Hey Roberts! Can I get some fries with this stuff?

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 9 months ago

It's called having your cake and eating it, too.

Roberts must oppose Obama at every turn, so he is opposed to military action. On the other hand, he must show that he is a pro-war hawk, so of course we should have struck Syria three years ago.

Joe Blackford II 1 year, 9 months ago

IF only Assad had waited until 2018 & used agro-terrorism against his own people.

Actually Pat Roberts Hall (KSU's Biosecurity Research Institute) could no doubt now rush vaccine to Syria & inoculate all livestock & civilians while lining the pockets of his AgroPharma friends.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 9 months ago

I oppose military intervention in Syria, and I think Obama did the right thing in consulting Congress. It showed great leadership, courage, and honor to do this. The easy route would have been to quickly strike Syria with no input from Congress.

Obama's actions respect the Constitution and our system of democracy, and take back a little power from the presidency, which has seen its powers expand in the last 30 years, especially with regard to military action.

Jenkins and Roberts, on the other hand, clearly based their decision to oppose military action on their dislike and opposition to Obama, not on any principled, rational basis.

At best, maybe Bush's trumped up war of choice in Iraq, which they vehemently supported and ran interference for, has made them gun shy this time. But I doubt it. It smells like anti-Obama politics pure and simple.

Trumbull 1 year, 9 months ago

I think President Obama was concerned (outraged) by the chemical attacks and wanted to show that this is not tolerated and consequences will occur.

He then opened it up for a debate in congress (as several key Republicans asked him to do).

This action seemed to put pressure on Syria, and Russia came thru with a diplomatic option. And this is where we are now. We are trying diplomacy, with the help of Russia. I always think diplomacy should be tried and given a chance.

I am proud to have President Obama as a President. He is not too proud to back off of his "red line" statement, and give diplomacy a chance. I applaud this great man, our President.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 9 months ago

We in the USA cannot run from radioactive waste. Considering we cannot see it or smell it which way to run?

Americans use chemical warfare on ourselves aka toxic yards and farms. The slow painful expensive death from cancer and such is preferable to what?

Exposing people in Iraq and Afghanistan to Depleted Uranium poisoning is clever. Too bad USA soldiers also are part of the experiment or was this premeditated? It's a damn shame across the board.

BTW the USA military is the largest toxic polluter in the USA if not the world so I read. Do you live close to a military facility?

Joe Blackford II 1 year, 9 months ago

"Do you live close to a military facility?"

merrill, I'm more concerned that I'll soon live 1.6 miles (as the germs fly) from the NBAF . . . . (>70% probability of "accidental" release over the 50=year operating period).

The NSA's & Army's recent Top Secret leakers provide little comfort in knowing just the knowledge of the NBAF & BRI researchers is referred to as "dual use research of concern>"

"The National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity (NSABB) has defined dual use research of concern as research that, based on current understanding, can be reasonably anticipated to provide knowledge, products, or technologies that could be directly misapplied by others to pose a threat to public health and safety, agricultural crops and other plants, animals, the environment or materiel."

Orwell 1 year, 9 months ago

Well, if nothing else it's refreshing to see Lynn Jenkins doing something this term besides (1) standing there as John Boehner's stage prop and (2) bothering people in her district with those annoying evening phone calls.