Archive for Wednesday, September 4, 2013

City seeking volunteers for snow shoveling program

September 4, 2013

Lawrence officials are urging residents to begin thinking about snow shoveling.

The city is seeking volunteers for its Safe Winter Walkways program, which pairs able-bodied individuals with residents who have trouble shoveling their own sidewalks.

The city has created a web page — lawrenceks.org/safe_winter_walkways — where both volunteer snow shovelers and people in need of assistance can sign up for the program. The city is asking people to sign up by Nov. 29.

Last year, 91 people sought assistance but only 24 people volunteered to shovel sidewalks, city officials said.

The program is run in partnership with Douglas County Senior Services. People who can't register online can call 832-3338 for assistance.

Comments

Hooligan_016 1 year, 6 months ago

Neat idea, didn't even know this existed. It seems like something I would volunteer for, but I would want it certainly within walking distance to help out. Given how some of the snow events were last year, it was impossible to drive for a couple of days.

elliottaw 1 year, 6 months ago

I wonder if they are going to take volunteers for the roads too, the city has proven year after year they can't clear them on their own

elliottaw 1 year, 6 months ago

I have lived here for about 5-6 years, they have more than enough equipment to handle the snow that we get, what they lack is the intelligence on how to do it in a timely manner. They need to plop down some money bring a consultant from either the north or east and have them work out a better plan for the city. At some point the city will be sued because they failed to keep the roads clear or clear them in a timely manner, not the 3 days it takes at this point to clear the roads.

Currahee 1 year, 6 months ago

I went to college in Iowa where it tends to snow every 3 days. Lawrence isn't too far off from their performance. Generally the first day the roads will have hard, packed gray snow and by the 2nd day most of it will have melted. Live with it or get a performance snow tire and not worry about it.

Armored_One 1 year, 6 months ago

sounds like a good use for a snow blower, if you ask me...

mdlund0 1 year, 6 months ago

What they don't say in the article is that they won't accept you as a volunteer unless you can guarantee your availability every day of the month for every month of winter. Going out of town for Christmas? Nope, we don't want you. Planning a ski trip to Colorado in February? Nope, can't use you either. It's a wonder they can't find any volunteers. I could do it in January, but not December, so I guess I'm out. Then there's the question of what we're trying to do... is it to help the elderly and disabled get access out of their house after a snow storm? Nope. It's merely to clear the sidewalk so the elderly and disabled don't get a fine... FROM THE CITY. These people may be home bound by 20" of snow, but thank heaven they won't be getting a fine for failing to clear their sidewalk.

Topple 1 year, 6 months ago

This was exactly my reaction to the article. They're looking for ways to not have to fine the elderly and disabled for being elderly and disabled. How about the city officials who passed the ordinance go shovel all the sidewalks for them instead of guilt-tripping citizens to clean up their mess?

BorderRat 1 year, 6 months ago

Really, where I come from this is called "being a neighbor."

elliottaw 1 year, 6 months ago

Thank you, I don't see why there is any need for this program. You should know the people around you and clear their sidewalks for them if they are elderly. When did this become an optional thing? I was always sent outside to clear my neighbors walks and the only thing I got for it was my parents letting us back in the house when we finished, and my kids get the same treatment now, respect your elders and help them if you can.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 6 months ago

bingo, that is what we do in my neighbor hood in Baldwin City.