Archive for Tuesday, September 3, 2013

New website to inform Kansans about Obamacare

September 3, 2013

A new website meant to inform Kansans about the Affordable Care Act went online Tuesday.

At insureKS.org, Kansans can learn about the health insurance options offered through the new federal health care reform law. The Kansas Insurance Department-run website explains the coverage opportunities available through the online insurance exchange, where people in the state can buy insurance and how to find out about federal subsidies to help with the cost.

The website also features an interactive program showing how the 2014 health insurance changes will effect people, an estimator that will calculate premium costs and tax credits for individuals and families, a link to the health insurance exchange, and information about groups offering advice about what’s in the law.

Comments

Carol Bowen 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I have Medicare and Blue Cross secondary. I am not expecting changes in my premiums, but I'll take them if they happen. Oh, yes.

My sons have outrageously expensive individual policies with high premiums, high deductibles, and low coverages. The Exchange sets three levels of coverage for comparison. Free market. My sons are not in Kansas. They have already received 80/20 refunds and are anticipating lower premiums. They are middle class and self employed. ACA is helping them. According to AARP, many retirees are helping their children with individual health insurance premiums, so seniors will be getting a break because of ACA, too.

Mike Ford 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I did the calculator. We have a $28k a year income for two people with no children. We are non smokers. Our insurance at the silver level calculated out to between $1620 and $1640 a year roughly between $120 and $130 for two people. When my company stopped it's United Healthcare Insurance in Feb. 2011 it was $273 a month for me alone. I've also heard that BCBS and Coventry and one other insurance is in the exchange. Truth trumps nonsense that causes unnecessary fear.

grammaddy 7 months, 2 weeks ago

ACA also stipulates that your insurance company must use 80% of the money paid in premiums be used for health care. If it's not used, you get an annual refund.

William Weissbeck 7 months, 2 weeks ago

"Affordable" employer provided coverage is a bit of a stretch. Your premiums in your employer plan have to exceed a fairly high percentage of you income before you could shop for a plan on an exchange. My concern is that the insurance companies can estimate the premiums they can set before they exceed this threshold and charge the small business owner who doesn't have leverage to "shop around."

akt2 7 months, 2 weeks ago

chootspa - These are individual policies that I pay for. I don't have insurance through my work because I don't work enough hours to qualify. So based on what I pay myself for my own insurance and that of my minor child, The Affordable Care Act is not exactly affordable for the average working person. Even if they are healthy. So far a lot of hot air is all it amounts to. I think people will slowly begin to understand this.

Liberty275 7 months, 2 weeks ago

"f a consumer has access to employer-sponsored coverage that is affordable and provides minimum value, the consumer will not be able to get tax credits and cost-sharing reductions."

So now we are going to have to pay tax on premiums if we have employer-sponsored health insurance? Wonderful.

tomatogrower 7 months, 2 weeks ago

The other day I spent 2 hours trying to get Blue Cross to fix a problem. Everyone says that the government would be inefficient, but believe me, the private sector is doing a great job being inefficient all by themselves. Single payer system would have been nice, then don't hire any of the insurance people to run it. It would probably run smoothly.

akt2 7 months, 2 weeks ago

No help for the healthy, working middle class. A teen and a 51 yr old with no previous diagnoses and on zero medication. Based on income we would pay $420 per month with a $25 tax credit. We currently pay $422 total for these two individual policies to Blue Cross.

nate cleveland 7 months, 2 weeks ago

they are only putting out the information that they want you to see. not all of the information will be available to everyone. Thats how this country works...

tvc 7 months, 2 weeks ago

All I gather from the calculator is that as I get older the cost increases and I never get a tax credit.

Kat Christian 7 months, 2 weeks ago

If you are a single adult you DO NOT qualify for Medicaid in the state of Kansas because Brownback opted out of the exchange. The only ones who qualify for Medicaid are children, pregnant women and diabled individuals. What Brownback is doing is putting it onto the Federal government directly, that way the state is out of it financially. I wonder how some folks will pay for this. It may be cheaper to just pay the $695 at the end of the year instead of paying $1,000 premium.

workinghard 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Just ran the cost calculator for 1 adult, 28yrs old with no income. Monthly cost would be $177 a month. With no income where would they get the money? Granted, I haven't took a serious look at the whole deal so I must be missing something.

Dont_Tread_On_Me 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Will the website tell us how un-American this legislation is?