The Pawsible Dream Auction continues to be a popular Lawrence tradition and the premier fundraising event for the Lawrence Humane Society. This year’s theme, “Viva Paws Vegas” sets the tone for a lively evening of silent and live auction bidding, gaming tables, adoptable animals, refreshments, and entertainment. Volunteers are needed to assist with the auction on Friday, Sept. 20. A variety of shifts and assignments are available. This is a good group volunteer project. For more information, please contact Brandy Radke at email@example.com or at 404-510-5034.
• Small World is a non-profit program that is operated entirely by volunteers. This program of cultural and educational exchange provides a fun, comfortable environment in which International women and their children can adapt to living in Lawrence. Small World is in need of volunteers to work as preschool classroom assistants and as adult ESL class assistants. To volunteer, please contact Kathy Mulinazzi at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 785-841-3645.
• Hidden Valley Camp is a 40-acre semi-primitive urban wilderness camp located in the heart of Lawrence. On Sept. 15, from 1-3 p.m., Friends of Hidden Valley will sponsor a workday at the camp. Scouts, friends, members and the public are invited to join together to spruce up the cabin, outbuildings, butterfly garden and grounds in the center of the camp. There will be tasks for all ages, and families and groups are welcome. Instruction, tools, and gloves will be provided. Refreshments will also be available. Volunteers are asked to bring water bottles or cups, and to wear appropriate clothing for outdoor work. Durable, enclosed shoes are a must. All volunteers must check in at the cabin and sign a waiver. Minors must be accompanied by an adult; however, teens 15 and over may make prior arrangements and bring a signed waiver. For more information, please contact Durand Reiber at 785-865-4657 or at email@example.com.
• Douglas County CASA provides comprehensive advocacy for abused and neglected children who are in need of care and are under the protection of the court system. CASA has several spots open in its upcoming training class for child advocates beginning on September 24th. After completing training, volunteers will serve as a mentor and an advocate for an abused and neglected child while the child transitions to a safe, permanent home. For more information, contact Diana Frederick at 785-832-5172 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• KVC Behavioral Health Care enriches and enhances the lives of children and families by providing medical and behavioral health care, social services, and education. Possible volunteer opportunities include providing child care and activities during foster parent trainings, office tasks, assisting with special events and organizing clothing donations. KVC Behavioral HealthCare will be hosting Volunteer Orientation on September 26 from 6:00-7:00 p.m. at 1202 East 23rd Street, Suite C, Lawrence, KS 66046. Please contact email@example.com or 913-956-5320 for more information.
• Lawrence Habitat for Humanity works with low income families to give them the opportunity to own their own home. The Women Build Home is a home built primarily by women. The annual Women Build fundraising luncheon is scheduled for Friday, October 11, at Abe & Jake’s Landing. Volunteers are needed to assist with a variety of shifts and tasks with the auction. This is a good group volunteer project. Please contact Stephanie Rasys at 785-838-1894 or at 785-760-3790 or StephanieR@centralnational.com, to volunteer.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Douglas County provides one-to-one relationships for children facing adversity. A “Big” is needed for a sweet eleven year old boy who enjoys camping, fishing and outdoorsy activities. He isn’t much into organized sports, but has a great time skateboarding. He is interested in art and drawing and would be well matched with an adult male who has lots of energy and excitement for trying new things. To become a “Big” for this 11-year-old boy, please contact Stacie Salverson-Schroeder at 785-843-7359, ext. 112, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
— For more volunteer opportunities, contact Shelly Hornbaker at the United Way’s Roger Hill Volunteer Center, at 785-865-5030 or email@example.com, or go to www.volunteerdouglascounty.org.