Archive for Friday, November 22, 2013

Moran: Affordable Care Act beyond repair

November 22, 2013

U.S. Senator Jerry Moran said Friday that the Affordable Care Act, or "Obamacare," is flawed beyond repair and that it's forcing businesses to look for creative ways of avoiding new requirements that they provide their workers with health coverage.

"The Affordable Care Act is a disaster," Moran told the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce during a breakfast meeting. And while the problems with the new program's enrollment website will eventually be fixed, he said, "the underlying problems of the Affordable Care Act remain."

U.S. Sen. Jerry Moran visits with Kansas University Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little before speaking Friday at a Lawrence Chamber of Commerce breakfast.

Moran, a Republican who was elected to the Senate in 2010 after serving 14 years in the U.S. House, acknowledged that many Americans are uninsured and have difficulty affording health care.

"But the plan that was forced through on a straight party-line vote, Christmas Eve (2009), in the Senate is not the approach that is going to work," he said. "This is a mistake."

Under the law, most individuals will be required to have health coverage starting next year. And businesses with 50 or more full-time employees will be required to provide health coverage to their workers. The law defines a full-time employee as one who works 30 or more hours a week.

Moran noted that he had recently toured a warehouse in Lenexa where the owner told him that he'd reached an agreement with another warehouse across the street to swap employees on a part-time basis. "They work here 29 hours a week, and they work there 29 hours a week," Moran quoted the warehouse owner as saying.

"In Parsons, a family tells me they own thee Mexican restaurants. They're closing two of the three restaurants so they get less than 50 employees in their total company," Moran said.

He also spoke of people who are now learning that the policies they had been carrying, typically low-cost, high-deductible plans with limited benefits, are being cancelled because they do not meet the minimum standards for coverage under the law, despite earlier assurances from President Barack Obama that nobody who had a policy that they liked would lose it.

"People come to me today, in emails and conversations, saying: 'Jerry, my wife has breast cancer, our policy is cancelled, I don't know what to do,'" Moran said. "My job is to have an answer and tell them what to do, and I don't have one. It bothers me. It's a terrible circumstance we're in. But you can't just waive the wand and make this work."

Moran acknowledged that many Americans cannot afford the cost of health care, and he faulted his fellow-Republicans for not offering a better solution.

"Many Republicans, including me, decry the terrible consequences of Obamacare," he said. "But we ought not fail to recognize there are serious and significant problems for many Americans related to the access and affordability of healthcare."

Moran said he thinks a better solution would be to invest more in community health clinics that offer low-cost treatment for the poor and uninsured. And he cited the Heartland Community Health Center in Lawrence as an example of one that works.

"Those are great opportunities for us to help people who have no insurance and no ability to pay," he said. "That's a different approach than trying to change, all in one fell swoop, the health care delivery and insurance system. In my view we ought to do incremental and common sense kinds of changes."

Comments

William Weissbeck 1 year, 6 months ago

This is the same GOP line. Maybe the problem is that we should not depend on employers to provide health insurance for their workers if one, they can't afford a full coverage policy, and/or two, their business model is designed around large numbers of part time workers without benefits. And to the resident with breast cancer having her policy cancelled. What policy did she have that was actually covering these treatments for anywhere near a reasonable premium and out of pocket costs? I keep hearing these stories, but the fact is that more people didn't have insurance because they were diagnosed with a serious illness. And as to community clinics - great idea so long as it doesn't end up like Medicaid - bearing the brunt of budget cuts. Set them up like VA's. Pay nurse practitioners to do much of the care. Watch where the objections come from. The difficult part is doing this without creating a two-tiered health care system. One for those who pay, and one that everyone shuns.

Larry Sturm 1 year, 6 months ago

did Moran help the ACA or did he hinder it?

Larry Sturm 1 year, 6 months ago

Did Moran help the ACA or did he hinder it?

Dick Sengpiehl 1 year, 6 months ago

Senator Moran, like other GOP fellow travelers, offers nothing to replace the ACA. All he wants to do is destroy the ability of the 350,000 uninsured citizens in Kansas to have insurance. There is an EXTREMELY small percentage of Americans whose insurance does not have the guidelines necessary to meet the AFA requirements. And if those plans do not meet the guidelines which excludes preconditions, have extremely high deductables, etc, they are really not insurance at all.. You're fine until you get sick. Many of these citizens, may be eligible for subsidies and wind up paying less for insurance than previously. With no plan at all, the Senator should be working to improve the AFA instead of tearing it down. He should be voted OUT next time he comes up for election.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

Glad you marginalize the 5%. I happen to be one of those 5% and I had a quality plan with a large insurance company that because it did not have maternity care will be cancelled. As a single male I don't need maternity care. Let's ignore the whole maternity issue for ease of argument. Under ACA my premium goes up 50% and my deductible goes from $2650 per year to $6300 per year. So tell me again about my bad insurance with "extremely" high deductibles when my insurance deductible is only 42% of what it will be when I have to be on ACA. ACA supporters are simply ignoring the fact that ACA will hurt millions of people with higher premiums and deductibles. And no I don't qualify for subsidies, I get to subsidize others payments. Yes ACA will help some but it will hurt millions as well. But thanks for marginalizing us that are helping pay for those lower premiums and subsidies you are getting. Since we are paying for the subsidies, supporters of ACA could at least acknowledge us and thank us for overpaying for insurance so others could have artificially cheap insurance.

Chris Golledge 1 year, 5 months ago

"As a single male I don't need maternity care. "

Right, because no single male has ever gotten a single female pregnant.

William Weissbeck 1 year, 5 months ago

Ask you insurance company why the increase. You aren't going to get pregnant and the insurance company knows that. Your rates are based the services you are expected to use, and under the ACA, males and females now pay the same rates. Gives you a clue just how much insurance companies charged for pregnancy coverage - which you couldn't even get under most individual plans.

Jared Paslay 1 year, 6 months ago

The ACA will never work and be affordable. When the ACA goes broke like it will since the government is in control , 2 things the government will do to help make up the cost of this program .First they well raise your monthly premiums or just tax you to death.

William Weissbeck 1 year, 6 months ago

Here's a suggestion - then pay to poor more so that they don't have to bother you.

Jared Paslay 1 year, 6 months ago

I ask you if the ACA was truly affordable why do we have to subidize it then??....After all this is called the Affordable Care Act.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

Affordability is equal to overcharging one group to subsidize another group. Simply depends if you are getting artificially low insurance rates or artificially high rates whether you like ACA or not. The money has to come from somewhere. The ACA supporters seem to think the money just falls from the sky, when in reality it comes from the pockets of Americans. So some are helped and others are hurt by ACA. The ACA supporters are trying to find a way to ignore those hurt by ACA. The old system had those that used the most pay the most. This new system has money forcibly taken from one group to give to another. It is interesting that those getting the benefits don't think those having money forcibly taken from them to provide subsidies for others should have any right to complain, just "get on board".

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

I am not asking for free. But the sell job that ACA would provide better insurance at better rates is not true for millions of Americans. Even if it is only5% that translates into millions being negatively impacted. Instead of acknowledging ACA is screwing a percentage of people, Obama and ACA backers say well it is only 5% and they had bad insurance. Not all of us had bad insurance. I worked with insurance daily for over 20 years. I know my insurance is perfectly fine except it doesn't cover maternity. That alone should not result in the dramatic increases in premiums and deductibles. The problem is Obama and the dems lies about cheaper and better insurance and now they act like those of us getting screwed I this deal should be happy about it.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

And you do nothing but find any way you can to justify Obama's position no matter what. The better rates is what Obama and the dems sold. They repeatedly made statements that people would have better and more affordable healthcare. They never said some would be paying a lot more for the same healthcare. If you try to deny what Obama and the dems said your are just trying to fool yourself.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

Your fixation on blaming Brownback for obamacare's problems has nothing to do with millions like me having higher premiums and deductibles. So you use a pro obamacare biased group to support your claim. No problem there. By the way Obama is using 5% as the number of people harmed by his plan. You best notify him of the change you claim because he doesn't seem to know what is going on.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

That's right keep apologizing for the mess that is Obamacare. Seems like daily there is yet another problem that is brought to light in Obamacare. You will be busy apologizing for it for decades to come. You can claim I am uneducated on Obamacare, that may be correct as I doubt anyone could know all about it due to the size of the law. That includes Obama who admitted he didn't know all about it either. Oh and if you are going to be stubborn about using 3% you better tell Obama because he is using 5%. But what does it matter it is just his grand plan.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

I guess you are saying you expected Obama to lie about Obamacare about claims for pricing. That is refreshing, an Obamacare apologist admitting he expected Obama to lie. Look up any statements about cost and coverage for Obamacare that Obama and his supporter made while selling Obamacare. A simple google search will net you plenty of quotes where he repeatedly states people will have better care and it will be more affordable. No where did he ever state millions would be forced to pay more. Apologize all you want for Obamacare but if you are trying to deny how he sold it you are not being honest.

Zach Davis 1 year, 6 months ago

When you cut off resources temporarily of key players just weeks before the big roll out and then they are rushed even more to put something of that scale in deployment what else would you expect.

Jared Paslay 1 year, 6 months ago

The only person changing the ACA law is Obama,

Tom Huyser 1 year, 5 months ago

I guess you would need to rewrite history for that to be true. The roll-out was on 1 October, and the shutdown was AFTER that. I guess that's the best way to blame others for the mistake

Bob Smith 1 year, 6 months ago

The time from the passage of the ACA to the website's go live was shorter than the time from the attack on Pearl Harbor to VE day. Every day more details of the totally horrible project management are coming out.

Jared Paslay 1 year, 6 months ago

The $600 Million plus to create the ACA computer program will end up costing us the tax payers more like a $ Billion plus when all said and done.

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

as someone whose already applied been accepted and benefitted as a full time almost two decade worker locally from the ACA and will see silver level BCBS of Kansas coverage for a fraction of the cost I used to pay for myself alone for my wife and I call total balderdash on the fibbers about the ACA in Kansas. I feel like I'm listening to tent ministers screaming apocalypse to any fact and intelligence deficient people who will listen to such balderdash. You know you lost 46 times and in the US Supreme Court. Maybe the Nuclear Option should be used on the nonsense I hear.

John Graham 1 year, 6 months ago

Just because you benefitted from ACA doesn't mean there are not millions of people worse off because of ACA. My current plan covers everything ACA does except maternity. As a single male I don't need maternity. My premium under ACA will be 50% higher and my deductible goes up $3700. That is not nonsense. There are millions out there just like me. So while you are happy don't for a minute think everyone else is or should be.

John Graham 1 year, 6 months ago

Individual policy. Covers everything just as ACA except maternity, the company providing my current policy has the best price under ACA. It is the same policy plus maternity. I don't doubt some are helped by ACA but there are us out here that are paying significantly more in premiums and deductibles for the same policy. People don't want to believe it but how did you all think some were going to pay less unless others paid more? The money has to come from somewhere.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

It is an individual policy I purchase, high deductible policy. It is the same as a bronze plan except for maternity. The insurance company that I currently have my policy with is the same insurance company that has the best rate ACA bronze policy. If I go to a silver policy my premiums go up even more and while the deductible comes down compared to a bronze, the deductible is still more than my current deductible. I don't qualify for subsidies according to ACA website. You can ignore the maternity issue if you want. The facts remain there are millions of us that had perfectly "good" insurance that are being forced onto similar policies that have coverage we don't need. The premiums are substantially higher and the deductibles are outrageous for the most similar plan available. I You can continue to try to justify ACA all you want, "better insurance" is nothing but a lie. Just like "keep your insurance if you like it"and that "prices would be cheaper". If people actually thought everyone was going to get insurance and it was going to be cheaper for all then those people were just fooling themselves. Now those that are getting a bargain because some of us are subsidizing the bargain question how and why anyone complains about ACA. Obama and the supporters of ACA by saying it is just 5% of the people, they are trying to marginalize the millions of people it affects. So I am happy for you and your cheaper insurance but don't doubt that I am forced to pay much more for essentially the same insurance and I have a right not to like it whether I am a conservative or not.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

What do you not understand? I never said I got insurance through a job because I am retired. I will be forced through the exchange like it or not because of ACA my plan will be discontinued because it does not cover maternity. While you are covered through your work there will be many employed that will be forced through ACA when the companies drop insurance due to cost. There are many companies below the minimum number of employees so the company does not have to provide insurance. Some may do better but some will not. What I am getting at is not everyone is getting cheaper insurance as promised by Obama and the dems. Many will find higher premiums and deductibles. Obama and the dems don't care about people like me being hurt they justify it by saying we had bad insurance so we should thank them for the higher rates. I have good insurance which will be cancelled because of ACA. I will be forced to pay more money for the save coverage. That is my argument in a nutshell. Understand? ACA backers think this is acceptable to them and don't understand why those of us being hurt by ACA are not happy. Obama and the dems should have said in the being some of you are going to get screwed by ACA and we are sorry. Instead they act like they are doing me a favor by making me pay more. If you are going to screw me at least tell me the truth and don't act shocked when I complain about getting screwed. It is that simple. Saying it is an issue for only 5% of the people is nothing more than marginalizing us. Why should we be happy about that?

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes I am among the3% which other have said is more like 5%. Either way that is millions of people with higher rates. Why is it so hard to understand that those of us getting screwed in this deal are not happy? How about Obama and the dems coming out and saying thank you to the 5% like me getting screwed in order to subsidize others. What is wrong with that. If you are going to force me to pay a lot more for the same coverage at least thank me for my donation to the subsidy pool.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

Once again you are wrong in assuming I will be on Medicare and social security soon.

Mike Ford 1 year, 5 months ago

due to many sick fellow employees and a then greedy hmo group insurance company my insurance was dropped in February 2011. I was given back $220 that I paid in to go shop. There was nothing left but the fake insurance without many benefits that all of the crying wolf people are screaming about. I purchased this fake insurance and didn't use except for peace of mind for two years. I recently dropped both plans as I was able to get silver level BCBS insurance for my wife and I. I used my $220 and the $418 credit we received and purchased this silver level insurance. I used to have $73 a week taken out and untaxed for group insurance purposes. I worked two jobs for a while to afford said insurance for just myself. We're not poor nor are we rich. We get by and watch the pennies. The tax credit of $5018.00 a year came from being 180% of poverty for two people. Poverty for two people is $15k a year so week make 3/4ths the level of poverty with two full time jobs ($28K). The BCBS insurance has a $3K deductible per person, $35 co pay for doctor visits, $15/$50/$75/$150 for drug fillings, no charge for female visits. Good insurance. If some of you would look at the plan marketplace then all of this ACA witchcraft nonsense you speak would be pointless since it's being spoken by GOP people who willfully mislead the willing for political purposes.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 6 months ago

Moran speaks like a good ALEC soldier……

Jerry Moran wants to take the nation a few steps backwards to the lassiez faire approach to medical insurance where clients are victims and subject to daily abuse.

You know back to the point that the insurance industry makes all of the healthcare decisions based on how much victims can pay. Not real smart.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 6 months ago

What Obamacare has done is outlaw junk insurance which has been a big profit item for the medical insurance industry. Junk insurance won't be there when a consumer needs it…. can we say bankruptcy?

When the ACA was passed one city in the USA got the best medical insurance on the planet.

Tucked in the ACA legislation was IMPROVED Medicare Single Insurance for All to which Libby,Montana is privileged. Max Baucus would NOT allow Improved Medicare Single Payer Insurance representatives to the table…. in fact had them thrown out. Yes Libby has a lot of sick people thanks to WR Grace BUT the nation has millions of people with big problems such as cancer. This entire community is covered sick or not at zero cost.

I envy Libby,Montana and I do not want them to be without IMPROVED Medicare Single Insurance. I want the entire nation to be privileged to IMPROVED Medicare Single Insurance. Absolutely. Bring it on. All taxpayers deserve this.

Who is Max Baucus? Ask Bill Moyers.

“The people in favor of a public alternative can’t scrape up the millions of dollars Baucus has received from the health sector during his political career. In fact, over the last two decades, the current members of the entire finance committee have collected nearly $50 million from the health sector, a long-term investment that’s now paying off like a busted slot machine.” http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/blog/2009/10/bill_moyers_michael_winship_in.html#more

Richard Heckler 1 year, 6 months ago

What about Medicare Single Payer Insurance? let's be honest it won't be free. http://www.pnhp.org/facts/single-payer-resources Physicians for a National Health Program

more very important facts. http://www.healthcare-now.org/docs/spreport.pdf ( very interesting findings)

Mike Ford 1 year, 5 months ago

real clear politics.....now there's an unbiased source.....not.

Beator 1 year, 6 months ago

If Obamacare is so wonderful, why is Obama moving two-year sign ups after 2014 elections? Why is he being so mean to the American people? Doesn't he like us? Even a foreign country like Britain see the game he is playing on us.....

'How nakedly political can you get?': Obamacare year-two signups delayed until after 2014 election Voters in the insurance exchanges won't know until 11 days after the 2014 election just how much they'll pay for coverage in 2015 The Treasury department has already delayed implementation of the employer mandate, and its fines, until Election Day has come and gone Millions of Americans are receiving private-insurance cancellation letters, with many experiencing sticker-shock when they learn their options One poll released Wednesday shows that 48 per cent of taxpayers now want the Obamacare law repealed

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2511635/How-nakedly-political--Obamacare-year-signups-delayed-2014-election.html#ixzz2lTVQn44o Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Bob Smith 1 year, 6 months ago

"…Interviews with current and former Obama administration officials and specialists involved in the project, as well as a review of hundreds of pages of government and contractor documents, offer new details into how tensions between the government and its contractors, questionable decisions and weak leadership within the Medicare agency turned the rollout of the president’s signature program into a major humiliation.

The online exchange was crippled, people involved with building it said in recent interviews, because of a huge gap between the administration’s grand hopes and the practicalities of building a website that could function on opening day.

Vital components were never secured, including sufficient access to a data center to prevent the website from crashing. A backup system that could go live if it did crash was not created, a weakness the administration has never disclosed. And the architecture of the system that interacts with the data center where information is stored is so poorly configured that it must be redesigned, a process that experts said typically takes months. An initial assessment identified more than 600 hardware and software defects — “the longest list anybody had ever seen,” one person involved with the project said…."

Read the rest at http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/23/us/politics/tension-and-woes-before-health-website-crash.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all&

Mike Ford 1 year, 6 months ago

the delay is so that superstitious doomsday imaginers can't use anymore nonsense like they have for a term and a half of Mr. Obama presidency to play politics with their often repeated half if any bit truisms that only people in the bubble believe anyway. please don't like facts that contradict repeated paranoia get in the way.

Chuck Wehner 1 year, 6 months ago

Jerry Moron as I like to call him is just making up lies as he goes. My partner just signed up with no problems at all, she got a better policy for $500 less than she was spending.

These business men that are trying to work around the law are just opposed to having less money for themselves they could care less about there employees being healthy because in there view they have no worth.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 6 months ago

Sen Moran Guidelines:

Knowing more about the enemies to public education, the working class and our communities is important.

United States of ALEC – Bill Moyers http://www.democracynow.org/2012/9/27/the_united_states_of_alec_bill

ALEC – The Voice of Corporate Special Interests in State Legislatures http://www.pfaw.org/rww-in-focus/alec-the-voice-of-corporate-special-interests-state-legislatures

ALEX EXPOSED – The Koch Connection http://www.thenation.com/article/161973/alec-exposed-koch-connection

Fred Koch was one of the founding members of the John Birch Society http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_C._...

Tom Huyser 1 year, 5 months ago

Zach...No fair rewriting history. The shutdown happened the day that the roll-out occurred, 1 October. So, the shutdown happened AFTER the site should have been ready to go.

Bob Smith 1 year, 5 months ago

"...So, if you want to understand the blindness and arrogance of the Obama White House in failing to appreciate the wave of rage and disappointment and disgusted wonderment that would hit them in the wake of the ObamaCare rollout, you need only consider these factors. He has always had the protection of his liberal base. He has always had the protection of Senate Democrats, who have not acted in any way to trouble him regarding these scandals and who have impeded aggressive investigations into them. And he has always had the protection of the mainstream media. As a result, Barack Obama and his administration have said what they felt they needed to say and done what they felt they needed to do for immediate political gain. They did so this time. But this time was different, because this time he was mishandling and discrediting the great liberal desideratum of our time — a national health-care system. This time he hasn’t gotten away with it. Yet…." http://nypost.com/2013/11/23/why-obama-cant-wave-away-this-scandal/

Bob Smith 1 year, 5 months ago

The true believers will never give up the ACA.

Chris Golledge 1 year, 5 months ago

"... to invest more in community health clinics that offer low-cost treatment for the poor and uninsured"

That isn't that bad an idea, but it would mean that the general public pays for low-severity, high-incidence health care, with subsidies handed out by the government, and I'm not sure that jives with the party line of less government.

Bottom line is still that you can have a system where services are mandatory and payment is mandatory, or a system where services are voluntary and payment is voluntary, but the old system where services are mandatory and payment is voluntary is not viable.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

But ACA has not made it mandatory for everyone to have insurance. There are exemptions to ACA and the penalties for not buying insurance are not high enough to force people to buy. So you still have a system of mandated care but voluntary payment.

Chris Golledge 1 year, 5 months ago

So, you agree with the need to require people to pay for some portion of their health care?

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes everyone should have to pay some portion of their healthcare. Since the system requires care be provided (at the least emergency care is required to be provided) everyone must pay. You simply can not have people demanding and getting care yet not paying. That is what breaks the system.

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 5 months ago

So the ACA is "beyond repair", huh?
That's interesting, considering that health care costs have pretty much flat lined since 2010 (the year the bill was initially passed).
Jerry Teabilly Moron is making statements worthy of Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

ACA can't claim full victory on healthcare costs since 2010 considering ACA hasn't been functional since 2010. Businesses will not even be required to be under ACA in 2014. Individuals are not required to be under ACA until at least April 2014. If you read your reference the costs of healthcare have not "flatlined". The costs have continued to go up but just not quite as much as estimated. The article notes that the economic slow down helped this as well as slower growth of entitlement programs Medicare and Medicaid. The reference source information was completely mischaracterized.

Bob Smith 1 year, 5 months ago

Very clever name-calling there, Cait. Was that in today's talking point memo?

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 5 months ago

Nah, it's been around for awhile, along with "Bat**** Bachmann" and "Sarah Failin'". I have a few more if you're curious.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 5 months ago

Sen Jerry Moran is what is beyond repair. Obamacare is improved over the terrible status quo which Jerry Moran supports. GOP offer up nothing just get in the way.

What beats Obamacare? Medicare Single Payer Insurance for All.

I am for IMPROVED Medicare Single Payer Insurance for ALL absolutely!!! -- http://www.pnhp.org/facts/single-payer-resources --- Very Interesting facts : http://www.healthcare-now.org/docs/spreport.pdf

Make IMPROVED Medicare Single Payer Insurance for ALL available to all taxpayers as one of our choices.

I want my health care tax dollars spent on a useful endeavor not on:

1. insurance over charges

2. or obscene CEO salaries

3. or CEO golden parachutes

4. or shareholders

5. or special interest campaign funding!!!

--- 21 Ways the Canadian Health Care System is better than ObamaCare http://www.healthcare-now.org/21-ways-the-canadian-health-care-system-is-better-than-obamacare

Richard Heckler 1 year, 5 months ago

Wall Street profiteers/stockholders will be the loudest voices against challenging the most expensive medical insurance in the world. Some of those profiteers/stockholders are elected officials according to the Washington Post.

If the country finally has Medicare Single Payer Insurance as a result of right wing nonsense the economy of the country will improve by leaps and bounds. Employment will pick up dramatically, cost of education will drop and government will cost wayyyyy less to operate NOT TO MENTION the USA business world will be money ahead.

Grégoire Guillaume 1 year, 5 months ago

If we lived in a sane rational world the headline would read "Moran is beyond repair".

Bob Smith 1 year, 5 months ago

In other news: "…Remember Bill Elliott, the cancer patient who said he'd be more likely to "let nature take its course," rather than pay his 900 percent premium increase under ObamaCare? The crestfallen Obama voter who said he voted to re-elect the President entirely because he believed the Big Lie about keeping your insurance and doctors if you liked them?
The funniest darn thing just happened: he's getting audited by the IRS. Apparently his insurance broker is getting audited, too.
What a remarkable coincidence! I'm sure that's all it is, because President Obama constantly assures us he's not a dictator, and we don't live in a banana republic. And we all know that Barack Obama's word is gold, right?…" http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/11/30/Banana-republic-update-cancer-patient-who-complained-about-ObamaCare-gets-an-IRS-audit

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

Not really. The guy, despite notifying the media of his audit, is still being audited. The next guy may now think twice. So if the goal is to target (which I really doubt it is) getting it out in the media is effective. If no one knows about people being targeted then others are not worried about being potential targets themselves. The person doing the targeting can deny targeting of course (like the IRS has done with tea party groups) while getting their message out to not mess with us.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

While a few liberal groups were reviewed the vast majority of those affected were conservative groups.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

There may have been more conservative groups applying than liberal groups. That does not explain why a higher percentage of conservative groups were flagged compared to liberal groups. It also does not explain why conservative groups were asked 3x as many questions as the liberal groups. That info you can find in the IRS report.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

Nice try but your theory doesn't hold up to the laws of probability. 100% of conservative terms on BOLO list were flagged. Only 30% of liberal BOLO list were flagged. The odds of pulling out all 350 white marbles and less than two black marbles is not realistic.

The new groups on the conservative side had as good a chance of having experienced people starting group (so would know how to file paperwork) as did liberal groups yet conservatives had to answer 3x more questions.

I am sure you will have some way to try to further justify what happened.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

The fact the paperwork was optional or not does nothing to address the actions of the IRS and you know that.

Bob Smith 1 year, 5 months ago

Cleared by the Department of Selective Justice.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

Your use of an incident where several innocent Americans were killed as an attempt to ridicule a post is nothing short of offensive.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

No the republicans at least want to have some answers whether political or not. That is better than Clinton making her who cares statement.

Joshua Cain 1 year, 5 months ago

"What difference at this point does it make? It is our job to figure out what happened and do everything we can to prevent it from ever happening again, Senator." - H.Clinton

It makes a difference Secretary, because to know the reason will help you find out what happened, who to look for, and how to prevent it from happening again.

If it wasn't their intention to misguide the public it was just another inexcusable mistake on the administrations part.

To be clear.....the prior administration had it's significant and inexcusable deceptions, but we're in the present and its not much different than the prior administration in so many ways.

Joshua Cain 1 year, 5 months ago

Help me out Barbara. Give me the remedial version....gently.

Will motive not tell you who attacked you? In my mind it's the number one critical component of trying to accomplish what the State Department was trying to achieve.

Ex. We were attacked on 911 because of our foreign presence in the Mid-east and support of Israeli apartheid. The motive will tell you who did it.

Bob Smith 1 year, 5 months ago

I've never said that the current regime and the IRS wasn't chock full of people who were willing to do pretty stupid things if they thought it would serve their purpose.

Beator 1 year, 5 months ago

Does anyone know why it is harder for people to get a photo ID to vote, than it is to sign up for Obama's mandatory health insurance? Is it because of the penalty fine if you don't sign up for his health insurance that makes it easier?

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

It doesn't make any sense. The liberals state it would be an undo hardship to require poor and low income to obtain a photo ID. Yet the liberals are forcing these same groups to purchase health insurance. Apparently the liberals don't feel signing up on a computer that the poor may not have is an undo burden. They can sign up by phone that they may not have either, but that's not a burden. Since the poor and low income in general have lower education levels they may have difficulty understanding all the options and the sign up process so they can use a Obamacare counselor that they go to, but apparently that is not a burden for them to travel to the navigators site. The people signing up may have to provide documents to determine if they qualify for subsidies but that apparently is not a burden.

The same liberals make the poor and low income travel to govt offices to fill out forms for Medicaid, unemployment, and all kinds of subsidy programs but that apparently is not a burden. The poor and low income have to provide documents in some cases to determine if they qualify for aid, that apparently is not a burden.

Yet the same liberals argue that forcing poor and low income to travel to a govt office (likely next door to the aid office) and produce documents in order to get a govt issued photo ID is an undo burden for those same poor and low income. It makes no reasonable sense. If the liberals feel the poor and low income can travel and produce documents to obtain health insurance and govt aid, it is not unreasonable to have the same poor and low income do the same to get a govt photo ID.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

Fine explain where the argument is so outlandish. If the poor (the group most likely not to have a photo ID) can travel and produce documents to get entitlements initiated why can't they travel and produce documents to get a photo ID? Travel hardship and producing paperwork seem to be the favorite reasons the liberals state it is an undo burden to get a photo ID.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

I did not list any requirements to register for Medicaid. If you insist on criticizing at least get your info correct before doing so otherwise your critique is of no value.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

You prove my point by admitting they do have to travel, produce documents (even if only some of the time) as well as the liberals admitting it is a hardship. So if they can do that for entitlement benefits they want, then they can do that for an ID to vote.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

It was you being sloppy in your critique of my statement when you attributed a claim to me that I never made. You are so happy to point out errors others may have made (which I did not do in this case as you claimed) but you won't admit you ever make any mistakes.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

Barbara, How nice of you to try to ridicule a posting by making fun of a situation where several innocent Americans were killed. That attempt at humor was nothing but offensive.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

You are using the deaths of innocent people to try to ridicule someone's conservative statement. It is uncalled for and tasteless. No amount of your so called justification will change that.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

The fact the republicans may have wanted to rub Obama's and Clinton's nose in it is no different than what the democrats have done to Bush on Iraq. But your mocking statements are not appropriate. Any fake controversy was solely caused by statements of Obama's White House and Clinton trying to blame what happened on some movie.

John Graham 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes any death is as important as any other.