Archive for Thursday, November 21, 2013

100 years ago: ‘Jayhawkers’ begin traveling to Missouri for season’s final football game

November 21, 2013


From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Nov. 21, 1913:

  • "One more day and the football season of 1913 will be closed. Shortly after 8 o'clock this evening several hundred fans from Lawrence leave the University town bound for the stronghold of the rivals, bound for the scene of the closing act of the Kansas football drama. At Columbia, Missouri, tomorrow, the mighty Tiger and the fighting Jayhawk meet once again in mortal combat.... Enroute to Missouri the Kansas rooters will be joined by the team that has been in training at Moberly the past two days and the entire Kansas army will take up the march toward the Tiger's lair. The special will arrive in Columbia tomorrow morning.... Confidence prevails in the Kansas camp, confidence that the Kansas team will come back strong and finish well against the ancient rival. Last year was a poor one for Kansas in the football way but the team came back in the final game and trounced the invaders from Missouri in one of the grandest games of football ever seen on McCook Field. This year has not been entirely successful for the Jayhawkers but there is still that one chance to beat Missouri and that is a great share of the season."
  • "Tomorrow the Journal-World will receive a detailed report of the Kansas-Missouri football game. A wire runs into the office and connects directly with the field. The plays will be given as made and the public is invited to use either phone or come to the office. If the day is nice you can find most of your neighbors in front of the office."
  • "Nightwatchman Jim Monroe early this morning arrested a young stranger whom he accuses of having attempted to burglarize the Pine lunch stand at the corner of Massachusetts and Henry streets. The stranger gave the name of Jim Horrigan, and stated that he was 21 years old. He denied that he attempted to enter the place. Monroe says that the young man tried the door and later returned with a big rock in each hand. Before he put the boulders into operation the big watchman took him in town and escorted him to the police station. The case was turned over to the county authorities this morning."
  • "Washington. -- The White House today issued this statement: 'The usual New Year's reception will not be held January 1, 1914. The departure from this custom is due to the fact that the president will not be in Washington. Owing to the long session of congress the president has had no vacation since his inauguration. The only opportunity for the president to secure a rest will be during the usual holiday recess.' It is known that the president is opposed also to the physical ordeal of shaking hands with the thousands."


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.