Archive for Thursday, November 14, 2013

Editorial: Disrespectful fans

Allen Fieldhouse fans’ choice to alter the ending of the national anthem is both disrespectful and stupid.

November 14, 2013

So what’s next? “Our Father, who art in K.C.”?

Repugnant fan behavior in Allen Fieldhouse needs to come to a halt with all the emphasis of a Jeff Withey block.

At issue is the revival of the shameful and tasteless practice by boorish, immature student fans who shout “home of the CHIEFS” as the concluding line of our national anthem.

It was particularly offensive on the Friday prior to Veterans Day, but has no place at any time.

The Chiefs certainly deserve accolades. This is no way to recognize their accomplishments. No self-respecting fan of the Kansas City professional football team should tolerate the denigrating of our nation in this manner, and neither should anyone connected with Kansas University and its basketball program.

This insulting behavior is even more embarrassing than the f-bomb yell that echoed on kickoffs in Memorial Stadium a few seasons back. Fortunately, that dreadful situation faded.

So, it seemed, had the “Chiefs” chant in the fieldhouse, but stupidity must not have been completely eradicated on Mount Oread, because it’s back.

Any blockhead who utters that moronic line deserves to be confronted, if not booted. Students should police themselves and not tolerate it. The athletic department leadership also should address it publicly and work aggressively behind the scenes to stamp it out.

Surely it’s obvious that it’s more damaging to the university’s image than any tweet by any professor.

Allen Fieldhouse is widely regarded as one of the nation’s top venues for college basketball. Deservedly so.

KU fans also generally are as highly thought of as the coaching staff and the team. It’s time for the vocal idiots in the crowd to demonstrate some maturity so that all the fans in the fieldhouse retain their reputation for class, rather than finding themselves lumped with Missouri’s Antlers at the bottom of the spectator barrel.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go KU!

Comments

Daniel Kennamore 5 months ago

"Any blockhead who utters that moronic line deserves to be confronted, if not booted."

Yes, because enforcing patriotism doesn't go against what the country is supposed to stand for or anything.

Jean Robart 5 months, 1 week ago

It happens at Chiefs' games, and I don't hear any complaining.

Robert Kiefer 5 months, 1 week ago

Thanks Keith, first ammendment grants the right to speak freely. although I agree with the author it is in bad taste, I dissagree that the university or administrators should waste 1 second of time regulating these actions or worse yet ejecting people from the venue. Don't let the actions of some idiots ruin an evening at the greatest basketball arena on this planet!

Larry Bauerle 5 months, 1 week ago

I guess I just don't get it. Why yell this at a KU basketball game?

Keith Richards 5 months, 1 week ago

First Amendment advocates now have the floor. And go.......

Keith Richards 5 months, 1 week ago

This was written about last year. Good luck trying to change what 18-20 year old immature students chant when they grew up learning how to do it from their drunk parents at a Chiefs football game.

"Kansas coach Bill Self was also confused, but as Bedore writes, he asked his wife what the students were saying. Once she told him, he didn't much like the idea: “I said, ‘I didn’t know they were saying that. I couldn’t tell.’ I don’t think that’s good. I don’t think it’s anything we should be proud about as students to carry that on, because I don’t see the place for it when you are honoring your country,” Self added.

“That’s one tradition that in my opinion certainly we could do without,” Self said. “I think it’d be more respectful toward the anthem and what that stands for to go ahead and use the actual words to it than putting in their own. I think they should stick to Francis Scott Key’s words. I think that would be more appropriate.”"