Archive for Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Ottawa woman sentenced in federal prescription drug case tied to death

May 28, 2013

A 37-year-old Ottawa woman was sentenced Tuesday to 18 years in federal prison for her role in a prescription drug case that was tied to a man's 2009 overdose death.

Tamara Ledom had previously pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute oxycodone, hydrocodone, methadone, morphine and methamphetamine resulting in the death of a user.

Prosecutors say Ledom, along with co-defendant Connie Edwards, 60, of Ottawa, sold drugs in Franklin County between 2007 and 2012. In May 2009, a man died after taking drugs purchased from Ledom at Edwards' Ottawa home.

The case includes eight other co-defendants who have either pleaded guilty or are awaiting trial.

Comments

catfishturkeyhunter 10 months, 4 weeks ago

It must be a Lawrence thing. All drugs should be legal according to the people of Lawrence. No wonder half the town is walking around shoeless with stolen shopping carts looking like the Vikings off the capital one comercials

mlsmith41010 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Before you speak on things you should be aware of the FACTS!!! What you read in the paper isn't the full story. The man who died was my husbands best friend. He was un aware of what he was taking. This lady gave him this mixture of pills and did not disclose to him what it was. Therefore causing his death!!! This lady got exactly what she deserved!! And I hope no one ever has to deal with the pain of losing a loved one who struggles with addiction. It's a disease!

ottawaway 10 months, 4 weeks ago

These people were selling a deadly drug cocktail mix of morphine, oxycodone & hydrocodone, passing it off as just meth. When in fact it wasn't meth at all. Yes meth can be deadly by itself but the combination of these 3 opiates is extremely dangerous because each one of them by themselves slow down a persons breathing. Bad, bad idea. I believe these people were just out to make money off of whatever they could get ahold of at the time. Even if it meant lying to the buyer. I have known of this lady for several years because I have an aunt that is now in her 70's that used to play bingo & cards with her & actually became very good friends with her. My aunt broke off the friendship several years ago because this woman was constantly finding ways to con people out of money. She is very money hungry & seriously addicted to gambling & has been for several years. I'm 54 yrs old & have never known this woman to work a day in her life but she could afford to drive a new Chrysler 300 & her live in boyfriend that I've never known to work a day in his life drove a new pimped out Cadillac Escalade.

catfishturkeyhunter 11 months ago

Those of you saying she got too much time would feel differently if it had been your father, son or brother who died. Yes the guy made a choice, but that doesn't absolve her from wrong doing.

NotImpressed 11 months ago

By this logic, If I sell someone a gun and they commit suicide with it, I would be held responsible for murder. That ain't right.

patkindle 11 months ago

since some of you feel so badly for her, perhaps you would like to offer to serve some of her time???

akt2 11 months ago

That's the point. The drug dealers obtained the drugs illegally. They then chose to sell them. Again, illegal. Someone died because of it. The sentence is not harsh enough. They directly contributed to the death.

Bob Forer 11 months ago

I am no fan of drug dealers, but the sentence seems a little harsh, especially when the drugs purchased would have been legal if obtained by a doctors prescription. The drug user that died would still be dead if he had conned his doctor out of a script and purchased the drugs legally at a pharmacy. I understand the severity is based, in part, on the the end result, but in this case the drug addict is my no means an truly innocent victim.

ottawaway 11 months ago

Here's some more of em that don't give a crap about anything.