From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for May 27, 1973:
- The 1973 Senior Class of Lawrence High School put their school up for sale this week. Students had pulled the pre-graduation prank early Friday morning, borrowing about 30 "For Sale" signs from houses throughout Lawrence and putting them up on the front lawn of the school. A blanket with "Seniors '73' also was reported to have been flown from the school flagpole.
- Two 13-year-olds were engrossed in making and exploding bombs at home when one of them had a harsh lesson that only experience could teach. Alan Catlett had suffered severe injuries to his right hand when the device he was constructing had exploded, sending him to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for a few hours.
- A fire which had started in a hallway outside the office of Long's Used Furniture Store, 1020 New Hampshire, had caused an estimated $48,000 in damages over the weekend, according to Fire Chief F. C. Sanders. The entire interior of the building, formerly home of the Warren Mortuary, had sustained heavy smoke and fire damage, Sanders said.