Archive for Thursday, May 23, 2013

Local Board of Realtors collecting items today for tornado survivors in Oklahoma City area

May 23, 2013

The Lawrence Board of Realtors today is accepting donations of needed items for tornado victims in the Oklahoma City area.

The Realtors have a trailer at their offices at 3838 W. Sixth St. until 4 p.m. today. The group is seeking donations of the following items:

• Water bottles and gallon jugs of water

• Gatorade

• Wipes

• Individual wrapped snacks

• Hand sanitizer

• Diapers

• Baby formula

• Hand towels

• Work gloves

• Tarps

• Batteries

The Lawrence group will be delivering the trailer of goods to Oklahoma on Friday morning.

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 7 months ago

Thank you. I know that the Red Cross and others are not accepting goods because they can't get them to Moore. I think it is wonderful that you not only are collecting things but have a way to get them there. I hope the trailer is packed to the roof when it leaves for Moore.

This doesn't give people much time though if the items have to be there today.

Catalano 1 year, 7 months ago

Yeah, the Red Cross always asks for cash because it can go further than donated items. I don't get this.

1julie1 1 year, 7 months ago

Cash is undoubtedly welcome, but these are the items that have been requested by those in charge assisting those in need in Moore. The list of items needed has been fairly well publicized on TV and in social media.

Sarah St. John 1 year, 7 months ago

Most of the items on this list would be immediately useful for recovery efforts, so I don't see a problem with it. The problem with people just sending stuff (without following a specific list of requests) is that the agencies end up with a lot of unusable junk that they then have to go to the trouble of disposing. I was shocked at the sort of stuff that ended up being sent to Joplin and other places -- a lot of it just looked like things that people simply wanted to get rid of, or in some cases like the donors had very strange notions of what people would actually need at a time like this.

gatekeeper 1 year, 7 months ago

Wish they could have posted this earlier. I would have brought a bunch of stuff, but stuck at work until at least 6:00. They should at least accept donations until sunset so people can get off work and deliver supplies. HINT HINT

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 1 year, 7 months ago

You can still donate money through the Red Cross.

gatekeeper 1 year, 7 months ago

I just went to the Lawrence Board of Realtors Facebook page and saw that they've been requesting supplies since Tuesday. Great job LJW on getting the word out.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 1 year, 7 months ago

I'd think it would be up to the LBOR to get the word out.

patkindle 1 year, 7 months ago

excuses, excuses, most of the losers always have them