Patrols by the Kansas Alcoholic and Beverage Control in Lawrence early this month resulted in more than 100 criminal charges to individuals and several citations to local bars and liquor stores, most of them related to minors in possession of alcohol.
The patrols on May 2, 4, 9 and 11 cited 59 minors for illegally possessing alcohol, while four bars and one liquor store were cited for providing it, according to a report from DCCCA, a Lawrence-based drug and alcohol treatment provider that helped organize four patrols by the state regulatory agency.
The ABC regulators conducted surveillance at liquor stores and house parties, and focused on certain bars that reportedly were admitting patrons aged 18 and older on those nights.
DCCCA reported the following individual citations and charges:
• Furnishing alcohol to a minor: 12
• Unlawful social hosting, allowing underage drinking: 2
• Minor in possession of alcohol: 59
• Transporting an open container: 13
• Possession of marijuana: 3
• Possession of drug paraphernalia: 3
• Possession of false ID: 11
• Shots, 1008 Massachusetts St.: three minors in possession of alcohol.
• Granada Theater, 1020 Massachusetts St.: two minors in possession of alcohol.
• Kangaroo, 1200 Oread Ave.: one minor in possession of alcohol.
• University Liquor, 3300 Bob Billings Parkway: one minor in possession of alcohol.
• Bullwinkles, 1344 Tennessee St.: Operating on a suspended license.