Archive for Friday, May 17, 2013

KU student killed in crash on U.S. Highway 59

May 17, 2013, 11:04 p.m. Updated May 18, 2013, 11:41 a.m.

One person was killed and another suffered non-life threatening injuries after a two-vehicle accident Friday night about one mile south of Lawrence on U.S. Highway 59.

Kansas Highway Trooper Rodney King said that Kansas University student Brian Addison Boyd, 21, of Leawood, failed to stop at a stop sign crossing U.S. Highway 59 on County Road 458 around 10:40 p.m. Friday night.

The 2001 Ford Explorer Boyd was driving struck a 2010 Ford Edge driven by Deborah Chitwood, of Shawnee, rolling Boyd's vehicle before he was partially ejected.

Boyd was pronounced dead on the scene. Chitwood was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

King said Boyd was not wearing his seatbelt at the time of the accident. Chitwood was wearing a seatbelt. Alcohol was not believed to be a cause of the accident, according to the patrol.

Comments

livefoniks 1 year, 2 months ago

RadarC 1 year, 2 months ago

The new highway does not have cross streets with stop signs. They have exit and on ramps. One mile south of Lawrence would still be the old 59 Highway.

bad_dog 1 year, 2 months ago

Do we really need your axe-grinding on an article dealing with a death? Start a blog.

costello 1 year, 2 months ago

My condolences to the family.

George_Braziller 1 year, 2 months ago

I've never understood why anyone wouldn't wear a seat belt. For me it's such an automatic and unconscious thing to do I put mine on even if I'm just moving my vehicle 50 feet.

I used to work with a woman who refused to wear a seat belt. I asked her once why and her "logic" was that she would rather be thrown from the vehicle than "trapped" inside if she was ever in an accident.

Liberty275 1 year, 2 months ago

"I've never understood why anyone wouldn't wear a seat belt."

First, it's a tragedy when a person dies. My condolences to all that knew the young man.

As for seat belts, I refuse to cede the decision whether to wear it.

gccs14r 1 year, 2 months ago

You refuse to wear your seatbelt simply because wearing it is required by law? Do you do that with every law?

Bob Forer 1 year, 2 months ago

Not everyone thinks like you George. I am sure some folks don't understand certain habits you have. I think it is a little foolish not to wear a seat belt, but I simply chalk up other peoples decision to personal choice.

gccs14r 1 year, 2 months ago

I was in a vehicle just today in which none of the other occupants fastened seatbelts. It was my first time traveling with this group, and most likely my last. I've been ejected from a vehicle before and even though I was a toddler, it was most unpleasant.

I think the engine shouldn't start unless every occupied seat has a latched belt (with a minimum amount of webbing pulled from the retractor based on detected weight, so people can't latch the belt behind them, which is the dumbest effin' thing ever), and if a belt is unfastened when under way, the vehicle gives you a mile or a minute (whichever comes first) to put the belt back on or come to a stop or it goes into "safe" mode and stops the vehicle for you.

Dusty 1 year, 2 months ago

Road 458 is the road going west off of 59 that takes you to Lone Star Lake, right?

I've seen SO many cars fail to stop there or just briefly pause and shoot out to try to avoid waiting on traffic. It's especially scary if you're heading south out Lawrence on 59. I've become accustomed to slowing down as I get close because I've seen people zip out of there so many times.

This is obviously a terrible tragedy that a young man lost his life before it ever really began, but I hope it serves as a reminder to those pulling out on 458 to stop fully and look twice before they pull out.

BringBackMark 1 year, 2 months ago

Absolutely! Much of it is floodplain so there would've been very minimal frontage road needs. I recently commented to a friend that that stretch of road was going to be a death trap. KDOT is making some very poor decisions for the sake of saving a few dollars. The 30 mile "official" detour around the 4 mile stretch of Highway 56 going to Baldwin is another example. It may save KDOT a little money not installing shoefly's around those bridges but its costing the public a TON.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 1 year, 2 months ago

What is a life worth to you buckjennings? In American dollars?

50YearResident 1 year, 2 months ago

I hope neither driver involved was texting like the 16 year old south of KC that pulled out in front of a 18 wheeler..

bad_dog 1 year, 2 months ago

There's some debate as to whether she was texting or had one ready to go but had yet to hit "Send".

bad_dog 1 year, 2 months ago

According to her parents she had prepared the text PRIOR to driving. She had not yet hit "Send". So the answer is NO as to whether she was texting and driving; at least per her parents. IMHO, "texting" is the actual act of inputting/ reading characters or messages, not merely having a text present on your phone's screen.

Sarah St. John 1 year, 2 months ago

I have a son just this age. My heart has been aching for this family ever since I saw this story this morning. Sending my sincere sympathy.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 2 months ago

Apparently you did not read the article. A cable barrier would have made no difference in this particular accident.

purplesage 1 year, 2 months ago

LJW needs to, as a matter of policy, disable comments in cases like this.

Mike Ford 1 year, 2 months ago

My mother was killed the same way as this driver. she came off I-10 and blew the stop sign like this kid in Moss Point, MS and was t boned by a driver whom my mother pulled in front of exiting the interstate on july 24, 2009. I feel for this family.

Bob Forer 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't understand why some bloggers post condolences on stories of tragic deaths. If you know the family, this isn't the appropriate place. And if you don't, I doubt the family gives two hoots about condolences coming from unidentified strangers.

Yes, we all should feel badly when a life is tragically cut short. But what's the purpose of leaving condolences here? Unless, of course, you are trying to demonstrate to other bloggers that you are a "good and caring person."

Save your energy for something more purposeful.

livetocook 1 year, 2 months ago

That is the most ironic post I have ever read.

Bob Forer 1 year, 2 months ago

Well, I gotta give you some credit. At least you didn't leave condolences.

LogicMan 1 year, 2 months ago

Sad, unfortunate loss. For the future would more signage, rumble strips, and flashing red lights on 458 help? That's what they did at Baldwin Junction before 59 was rebuilt.

OonlyBonly 1 year, 2 months ago

Condolences for this family's loss - that being said. 1) The man ran a stop sign 2) The man was not using a seat belt 3) The man was ejected from his vehicle All 3 of these points were correctable by the man. Why must people insist on blaming the highway, the road, KDOT and anything else they can think of because one man made some bad decisions?

LogicMan 1 year, 2 months ago

This isn't the first accident there, nor death. At some point the economics for improvements make sense.

livetocook 1 year, 2 months ago

If I were you, I wouldn't be so quick judge if this young man made some bad decisions. The only info you have is the article posted above.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 2 months ago

You don't think the article is factual?

shorttrees 1 year, 2 months ago

C'mon Ron, you've been around here long enough to know that LJW articles should be taken with a grain of salt...or possibly an antacid.