Archive for Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Father of slain toddler grieves in Missouri jail

May 15, 2013

Shawn Bailey jail interview

Shawn Bailey, whose daughter and wife were killed in Ottawa recently, speaks May 15 from a Missouri jail about the case. Bailey is awaiting a prison sentence on burglary charges. Enlarge video

Kaylie Bailey and her daughter, Lana-Leigh. Photo courtesy of AP.

Kaylie Bailey and her daughter, Lana-Leigh. Photo courtesy of AP.

— It's only about 200 miles along curvy highways and country roads from Lebanon, Mo., to Ottawa, Kan., where in a few hours, visitation services would begin for Shawn Patrick Bailey's 18-month-old daughter and estranged wife, victims of a quadruple homicide discovered last week in Ottawa.

For Bailey, though, the services might as well be in another world.

Shackled to a table, Bailey — in an orange jumpsuit and awaiting transfer to a Missouri prison— sits in small room at the Laclede County Jail in Lebanon and talks about the case that's gripped the Ottawa community and garnered national attention. On May 6, the bodies of Bailey's wife Kaylie, as well as Ottawa men Andrew Stout and Steve White, were discovered at a farmstead in rural Ottawa. Bailey's daughter, Lana-Leigh, was discovered Saturday in Osage County, also a homicide victim in the case.

Bailey readily concedes his role in missing Wednesday's funeral services. He's a drug addict, thief, and career criminal, he'll tell you, rattling off the list of correctional institutions he's been in during the past 15 years.

But Bailey, about to start a multi-year prison sentence for a January burglary in Lebanon, is also a grieving father.

"I loved that little girl more than life itself," says Bailey, smiling dryly when it's pointed out he shares the same set of deep blue eyes that gazed out from family photos and missing persons fliers last week as police combed the Ottawa area, looking for his daughter's body. "She was the perfect baby. Never cried. Smart as a whip."

Bailey's story as a family member of the Ottawa homicide victims is far more complicated than some of the stories told this past week by the grieving relatives of the other victims in the case. The 25-year-old former Kansas inmate with a criminal record a mile long even goes as far as placing the blame on himself for the killings of his daughter and wife.

'Within the first week'

In 2010, fresh out of prison and on parole for a 2008 burglary conviction in Franklin County, Shawn first met Kaylie when a mutual friend asked her to give him a ride to Ottawa from Fort Scott. Shawn says Kaylie, just 18 when they met, was innocent and trusting.

He took advantage of that.

"When I looked at somebody, I looked at how I could use them," Shawn says. But he fell in love with Kaylie.

"I knew within the first week of meeting Kaylie, I was going to marry her," he says.

The couple would marry, in 2011, and Lana-Leigh was born the same year. But Shawn says he could never quite shake his criminal past and methamphetamine use and addiction.

He started using meth again heavily after Lana-Leigh was born and following the murder of Shawn's 21-year-old brother Ryan, in Pittsburg, in October 2011.

Shawn never straightened his life back out, and Kaylie left him in order to protect the baby, he says.

"She thought I was putting the drugs before her, and she was right. I was," Shawn says. The couple lived together at various points and places the past couple years, but the relationship ended in fall 2012. Shawn says he began committing crime to support his habit, and continued to do so until his January arrest. Kaylie, at some point, refused to allow Shawn to be in their lives, he says.

Shawn says he last saw Lana-Leigh, for a few minutes in a parking lot, on Christmas Eve.

Here's where his guilt comes in: Shawn says he introduced Kaylie to Stout, who was friends with Shawn and lived at the property where the killings occurred. During the past several years, Shawn says he and Kaylie spent time out at the Georgia Road home.

He could've been off drugs, working and supporting his wife and child. But, he wasn't, instead sitting in jail when the killings happened.

"I feel that if I would've just stood up and been a man, took care my responsibilities, then my wife would've never had to be where she was at," Shawn says.

The news

The day police discovered Kaylie's body, Shawn had just received a nine-year prison sentence for his role in the January burglary. Shawn's mother, Rachel Helms-Bailey, came to see her son and told him Lana-Leigh and Kaylie were missing. The next day, Helms-Bailey told Shawn that Kaylie was dead. And though his daughter was still missing, Shawn says he knew at that point that his daughter was probably dead as well.

He says he's thankful he was behind bars, unable to use drugs or attempt to retaliate against Kyle Flack, who had by May 7 been identified as a person of interest in the case. Flack has since been charged with four counts of murder in the case.

Shawn knew police suspicions regarding the crime would fall on him, even though he had been in the Laclede County Jail since January. Kaylie was in the process of divorcing him, and Kaylie was found killed along with her new boyfriend, Stout.

Investigators "laid the big question to me. 'Did you have anything to do with it?'" Shawn says. "I think being asked that question hurt more than the whole situation."

Since the arrest of Flack, information has trickled into Shawn about the case. Behind bars, he says he's had to focus on forgiveness, faith, and coming to grips with the killing of his daughter.

"I have a year's worth of memories (with Lana-Leigh), and it's not enough," he said.

Comments

SweetTruffleBoy 10 months, 1 week ago

When my grandson died of SIDS, I would not allow myself to cry. Every time I felt tears welling up, I would fight until they passed. I was afraid that if I let so much grief and pain get a foothold, I would never be able to stop. Losing a child is even worse. My son turned to methamphetamine. It was a stupid choice but he wanted to kill himself because of so much grief and pain. He is hooked to this day. He did not set out to become a drug addict. He set out to make himself feel nothing. Today, I believe he has achieved that goal. It was sad for me to watch but I understand how someone can lose themselves in grief and pain and sadness and go away. I believe everyone deserves empathy for the burdens they bear in life. Some have not had such horrible burdens as this young man but others have had far worse. It is difficult to say what one would do if one were in their shoes. But I do believe that compassion for the poor, lost souls in this world is what Jesus would have done. He did tell us, "Judge not lest ye be judged and "Look at the beam in your own eye before examining the straw in your brothers eye." Only the Lord God has the right and responsibility to judge. No one else.

Christine Anderson 11 months ago

aEnough of coddling and feeling sorry for persons who choose drugs over their children. Enough !! And yes, there is drug and alcohol addiction in my family. This does not change my mind.

verity 11 months ago

My question is, if a person is a sociopath then what is their responsibility for what they do? I wouldn't make a decision on Mr Bailey because we certainly don't have all the information, but it does appear that Kyle Flack is a sociopath, as in a remorseless killer.

mikekt 11 months ago

Some part of me would like to believe that Mr Baileys statements were truthful, honest, ...and reflective of, a truly remorseful person,..... because that is in line with the world that i would like to live in, where people are capable of remorse, as opposed to sociopaths, who can mimic remorse, when it suits their purposes .

Which is the truth.......a remorseful soul......or a sociopath,..... at center stage ?

I assume that God knows which and will deal with it, as It wishes to, in It's own time , .....and that I can get used to being uncertain about something, that is not life and death important ( immediately ) to anybody that I know .

Meth sounds like a misery drug, I.e., such a great high, that the rest off your life will be sheer misery hell, by comparison, to being high on Meth......... and for practical purposes, devoid of all other daily pleasures, that sane people normally experience .

Tell your children and friends not to be fooled by the dealers who sell that stuff.

There is nothing cool going on there.... but an opening into the gates of a life, that is hell on earth for everyone that it touches .

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 11 months ago

"The day police discovered Kaylie's body, Shawn had just received a nine-year prison sentence for his role in the January burglary." Yet Kyle Flack only served 4 years for attempted murder. There are more people to blame than these two.

Roland Gunslinger 11 months ago

LOL @ the hypocrits who claim to follow Jesus... yet ignore his wisdom in practice.

Matthew 7:1-6

drafted_rough 11 months ago

Shawn Bailey has it all backwards: Horror does not create monsters. Monsters create horror.

The LJW needs to disable comments. Better yet, destroy this whole piece.

lawslady 11 months ago

A horrible tragedy, but all too common. Especially where these drugs are concerned. So addictive that any bit of common sense or survival instinct goes out the window. The recovery rate for meth is very low. And while the normal humane response is to pity a grieving father, even though his own choices and actions created the problems he is having and arguably led to to the tragic deaths of his wife and child, I was stopped short at this part of the story.

What???? If this is accurate, and he said it, he is saying that he cares more that someone suspected him of doing this awful thing, as opposed to caring most that his wife and child are dead because someone he brought into their lives killed them. If so, he is extremely self-centered & may even be someone who has the mental issue labeled narcissism. And drugs or no drugs, there's no cure for that kind of self-centered disregard for others. It's all about image and how does this (anything) impact me me me me.

ottawaway 11 months ago

I know neighbors to this mobile home & was told by them that there were cars & people coming & going to this home quite frequently. In a May 3rd text from Kyle Flack to Andrew Helm, Flack texted " I talk to him yesterday, he finally got everybody out his house. He's probably just laying low. Can't blame him". Creepy text. I have a feeling, considering hearing others names that hung out at this home, that we will hear of illegal activities going on at the home as well. With some of the people that were hanging out there & reported to have lived there something bad was about to happen sooner or later. Some of these people are very well known to the law in Franklin Co. It's just extremely sad that baby Lana was put in the middle of all this.

mom_of_three 11 months ago

very good article, and I do feel for the guy in that he realizes that the choices he made determined the life of others. While this is always true (our actions affect others), his choices led to a tragic turn. Yes, he made the choices that put him there, but he lost his daughter, and his ex-wife.
drugs and addictions make people do things that we can never understand. I hope he makes better choices when he gets the chance to do so.

akt2 11 months ago

My thoughts exactly NavyVet.

NavyVet 11 months ago

Sad, indeed. But he's no vicitm. The only person who deserves sympathy is the little girl. She had no choice in anything. All of the others did. All of the others chose to be involved in the 'friendships', life, and lifestyle that led to their death. Including doing something they knew could lead to addicition. Including to rob with the intent to deprive someone else of something and enrich themselves. Just because they are an addict and that's the reason they stole does not make them any better. And it certainly does not mean they deserve symapthy. He could have cleaned himself up. Earlier. That's a choice, too. There are programs that do that. For those who choose to take advantage of them. But he chose not to. Bailey rightfully places the blame where it belongs. On himself. This loser in life put his little baby, the one he claims to have loved more than life itself, in a position to meet the gruesome fate she did. Cry me a river inmate. While the others may not have deserved to die the way they did, they made their choices. I have no sympathy for any of them. Only Lana.

StirrrThePot 11 months ago

God be with him, this is such a heartbreaking story. The power of drug addiction is so tragic. I hope he is able to turn things around for the better.

arylwren 11 months ago

I had been wondering all along about Lana's father, as I had not read anything that even mentioned who he was. Thank you for the article.

His story is sad and his decisions have been poor, but I'm glad he appears to have accepted responsibility and the consequences for his actions. I hope these tragedies motivate him to be a better person.

toe 11 months ago

One of the worst parts of this story is this guy got out of prison the first time. Keep these goofs behind bars for years and years. Society would be better off.

Doug Harvey 11 months ago

There but for the grace of God, as they say . . .

Kat Christian 11 months ago

This is very sad, but he is right that he does hold some responsibility in the death of his daughter as well as Kaylie, as much as Kaylie holds responsibility in the death of her daughter and herself. It doesn’t make much sense that she left her husband because of the way he was living his life to jump right back into the same situation with another guy. How smart was that move on her part? I think the one person who really lost in this tragedy is Lana-Leigh at being born to irresponsible and immature parents. What really ticks me off is where was the rest of the family in this? Why didn’t her parents or his get involved in making certain Lana-Leigh was safe and in a structured home? There is more to this then meets the eye. I don’t feel sorry for this man being in jail grieving for his daughter, not that I wish this sort of tragedy on anybody, but he made his bed now he has to lie in it. Having a career criminal in the family is too close to home for me so unless you live with it you have no idea how frustrating it is to try and help these people. At some point and time in life they just have to figure it out for themselves. Perhaps by the time he gets out of prison he’ll make better choices in his life and meet someone else, have more children and want to work toward a stable life and stay away from the drugs and criminal activity. One can only hope.

Amy Heeter 11 months ago

Just because people make poor choices doesn't mean they do not feel. Especially after five months of detoxing. He may not of been thinking when on drigs, bit he has been off them for a few months now. It's called moment of clarity. There is information in the story if we look beyond the sorrow. Mr Bailey states that he lived with Mr Stout and introduced Kaylie and stout. He also stated he( Mr Bailey) was using drugs at the time. You do the math. Mr Bailey also pointed out his brother was murdered during that time. Grief can cause a extreme mental break. Add a violent murder to the mix it could and has led to alcohol and drug abuse. It seems there were slit of poor choices made, but not just be Bailey. In time I believe much will come to light about all the.players I'm this saga. Lana was the true victim in this horrible situation. While I can understand the pain of Bailey and other survivors the only sadness I can justify is for Lana.

friendlyjhawk 11 months ago

This poor man made all those horrible choices and contributed to the death of his wife and daughter because of those life choices he made. His time in prison will probably not be well spent in developing life skills that will make him a better person. Just another piece of flotsam on the sea of life.

notaubermime 11 months ago

I have to say that I came here after reading the headline and having little in the way of sympathy for the position in which this man finds himself. Reading the article, I was surprised to see that this man does not have much sympathy for himself either.

To me, that makes him a very tragic figure. He realizes that he deserves to be in jail and that he would probably go back to crime if released at this point. He also realizes that the errors he made cost him precious time with his wife and child. I hope that he finds the realization that he needs to choose the path of atonement from here and develops the strength to walk it.

Excellent job by the reporter of bringing this human story to us. Thanks!

MacHeath 11 months ago

Why didn't he just quit? Hell, I can't quit chewing tobacco or over-eating. Crystal meth is probably as addicting as crack or heroin. Changes the way you think too. One of my best friends had a hell of a crack addiction. Lost everything he had plus whatever he could borrow. He would stay up for days, just so he could take that next hit. He became paranoid too. Pretty hard just to stop that kind of addiction. He didn't until he had to take periodic testing. If he failed, he was going to prison. That was enough to get him to stop finally. When a person gets to the point that they decide that are just going to take that ride, they are lost maybe forever.

KEITHMILES05 11 months ago

What a mess to have to live with.

OonlyBonly 11 months ago

Sorry but if the child meant that much to him why did he continue his life of drugs and crime?

Lisa Hallberg 11 months ago

This is so very sad. And kudos to LJWorld for this interview - I appreciate the humanizing you bring to these people, particularly individuals so often vilified in comments on stories like this. As a non-violent criminal, I hope that Mr. Bailey has the opportunity to break his addition, to continue to reflect on his life choices, and to find a different, less self-destructive, path in life.