Advertisement

Archive for Tuesday, May 7, 2013

40 years ago: Child killed in Tonganoxie house fire

May 7, 2013

Advertisement

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for May 7, 1973:

  • A tragic fatality had occurred during an overnight house fire in Tonganoxie. Eight-year-old Shelly Umbenhower had died in the blaze which had also injured her parents and three brothers. No cause had yet been determined in the fire, which had destroyed the home at 904 E. Sixth Street, about five blocks southeast of downtown Tonganoxie.
  • Spirits were high at the McElhaney home today as young Jere McElhaney had been released from the hospital after a life-threatening accident. The ninth-grader reportedly "had a big grin on his face all day Saturday," according to his mother, after his homecoming. Jere had been struck in the heart on April 18 by a piece of wire flung from a lawn mower when he was on a field trip with his science class in Broken Arrow Park.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.