Archive for Monday, May 6, 2013

Woman killed after falling out of party bus

May 6, 2013

— A 26-year-old Kansas City, Kan., woman died Saturday after falling out of a party bus on Interstate 35 and being struck by three other vehicles.

The Kansas City Star reported that the victim was identified as Jamie N. Frecks. The Kansas Highway Patrol says she fell out of the emergency door of the party bus around 9:50 p.m. Saturday as it was northbound near the Southwest Boulevard exit in Kansas City, Kan.

Frecks was one of 16 passengers on the bus. The Highway Patrol says two of the vehicles that struck her after she fell out did not stop.

Nobody else on the bus was injured.

The crash report didn’t identify the company that operates the bus, which was driven by a 49-year-old Basehor woman.

Comments

consumer1 1 year, 5 months ago

This is aweful, I am so sorry all those who were involved, especially the cars that hit her. So sad.

foxli 1 year, 5 months ago

Why would you feel bad for the cars? Why not feel bad for the drivers? And for that matter, why feel bad for the two that didn't stop? There's no way they didn't notice. I can't hit a two-inch deep pothole in my parking lot without noticing.

Mark English 1 year, 5 months ago

Must not be a very good reader... I'm pretty sure that she is not sorry for the cars but the people in them. Maybe it wasn't worded easy enough for you. I do agree however that they definitely should have stopped. Maybe shock of actually hitting a human body had something to do with it. Just speculation of course.

foxli 1 year, 5 months ago

People have the strangest perception on the road--that cars aren't machines with human operators, but they are personalities and beings of their own. This dehumanization of driving probably leads to at least some cases of road rage. Think about it--people who would never throw a fit about someone cutting in line or not obeying some other social rule have an eppy when somebody does in a car.

(Hey, look, I can counter your point without throwing shade on your perceived education level. Huh.)

I hope they find the people that hit her and drove off, but that doesn't seem likely. It was dark, but hopefully people are driving on the highway with working headlights. Either way, there's some kind of negligence happening there.

ksjayhawk74 1 year, 5 months ago

I can only guess that the victim was hit by 3 cars because it happened so fast, before anyone could stop. I don't think the other drivers hit the girl and just kept going.

verity 1 year, 5 months ago

It doesn't say they ran over her, just that they hit her. It would have been dark and they may not have known what they hit or been able to slow down and pull off the freeway quickly and safely. There's obviously a lot more to this story than we know now---just a really terrible thing to have happened for everybody involved.

tomatogrower 1 year, 5 months ago

One time I was driving along a road in broad daylight and I heard a thump. I started to pull over, but my friend in the passenger seat just gave me a weird look and said "A rabbit just committed suicide on the side of your car." I didn't see anything, just heard a funny thump. I know a human is bigger, but in the dark, maybe the people just thought they had hit one of those big pieces of rubber, the big rigs throw off.

That being said, what a horrible accident. I hope her family and friends will be ok.

Jeremiah Jefferson 1 year, 5 months ago

I heard this on Johnny Dare this morning. This lady just had a child about a month or so ago and was engaged to get married soon. It sucks because they were all trying to have a good time and doing it the safe way by hiring someone to drive. Have to wonder if the door was not faulty or not.

miniflavors 1 year, 5 months ago

The door was not faulty..... But I can say, when you add alcohol and intoxication together Things happen. It happens all the time..... Even on school busses when a fight breaks out on a bus the first thing that comes open is the back door. Maybe they need to put some safety measures on the back door to prevent this from happening. Just a thought.... But our prayers are with the ladies family and friends that was with her.

Christine Anderson 1 year, 5 months ago

Senseless and tragic. I guess the only safe way to drink and/or party is to stay put in one's home.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

what a dreadful way to die. the terror she must've felt

death certainly comes suddenly without our expectation or invitation. and now she has a child and family left to mourn.