Archive for Monday, May 6, 2013

Residents upset at theft of American flags from retirement community

May 6, 2013

Ten American flags were stolen from the Meadowlark Estates retirement community April 29. Residents are calling on the thief or thieves to return the flags.

Since Meadowlark Estates opened its doors a couple years ago, 15 seven-foot tall American flags have adorned the entrance way to the retirement community at 4430 Bauer Farm Drive.

Until last week, when a thief or thieves snatched up 10 of the flags overnight.

"I absolutely love the flags out there," said Dorothy Lay, a disappointed resident.

Lay is among numerous residents at the home upset at the loss of the $40 flags — symbols of American patriotism — taken under the cover of darkness April 29.

"Why?" she said. "You just wonder why."

Police were called, but several residents Monday said they don't expect the bandits to be apprehended. Still, that doesn't mean the residents have lost hope.

Several Meadowlark Estates residents, including Roberta Lewis, sent the Journal-World a letter to the editor, asking for the flags to be returned.

"We miss our flags," Lewis said.

Lay, meanwhile, said someone out there knows what happened, and she asked area citizens to keep an eye out for them.

"Somebody's going to see a whole bunch of flags," she said.

Anyone with information can call the Crime Stoppers Hotline at 843-TIPS.

Comments

nouseforaname 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't know if it's related, but I did see a guy walking down the 1500 block of Tennessee St. yesterday carrying an American flag on a short pole. However, I don't think it was a 7-foot tall flag since it did not appear to be larger than the guy carrying it. That's so sad, though, that someone would steal American flags. Good ol' Lawrence, can't leave anything outside not locked down for fear of it being stolen.

Gary Anderson 1 year, 2 months ago

Flag poles were 7 feet high...flags were much smaller...2x4 or 3x6

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 2 months ago

KRichards, that is my question also. You know that if someone turns up with ten new flags someone around them is going to notice. That is weird.

The flag in the picture appears to be simply stuck in the ground. If they decide the replace the flags, which will be $400.00, I hope they sink them in concrete, which will cost a whole lot more. Might be better just to go with one flag waving from the roof.

Abdu Omar 1 year, 2 months ago

Although I hate thieves and stealing American Flags is about as low as you can go. But, why were the flags out at night? American Flag etiquette says that flags should never be rained or snowed on, never should see darkness of night, and should be taken care of like one takes care of the country it represents.

Irenaku 1 year, 2 months ago

That was my understanding as well, that if a flag is flown at night, it must have a spotlight shining on it.

Rae Hudspeth 1 year, 2 months ago

Flags may be flown at night provided there is a full spotlight on them.

I'm so sorry for the disappointment felt by those residents. Some people can be mean and thoughtless.

jayhawks911 1 year, 2 months ago

The spotlight exception is a huge loophole allowing many to avoid proper flag etiquette.

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 2 months ago

I would suggest that you put out something that states if the flags are returned, all is forgiven.

Maybe it was just some teenagers who got a little too carried away. An apology and don't let it happen again would be good enough for me.

patkindle 1 year, 2 months ago

probably just more of the usa haters that some Lawrence folk think are so cool

Deb Engstrom 1 year, 2 months ago

We used to do things like this as senior pranks and then make the freshmen return them. If this is the case, they'll show up soon.

PhilChiles 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe it was some of those communists that conservatives are always talking about? You know, the ones we thought all but vanished in this country decades ago?

bearded_gnome 1 year, 2 months ago

far from the first flag incident here in Lawrence.

in this community, I'm not optimistic, while I love lawrence, we have many strange and very antiamerican and anarchist folk. I suspect these are already destroyed or burned or insulted in other ways.
I flew a flag, and after a time it got quite torn, was quite possibly vandalized.

I am quite saddened for these residents' loss. and for the low estate in which we hold our flag.

yes, fly a flag at night, you must put a light on it!

Richard Heckler 1 year, 2 months ago

I was taught that flags go up at sunrise and down at sunset. Then folded properly until sunrise the following morning. Participated in quite a number of these daily events. http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

Ultimately the 24/7 exposure to the elements eats the flags.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 2 months ago

The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose...... hmmmmmmmmm

15 flags might be in violation of flag etiquette.