Archive for Thursday, May 2, 2013

State officials working overtime to keep up with concealed-carry permits

May 2, 2013

Kansans are still applying for concealed-carry permits in large numbers, and state officials are just managing to keep up with them, the Kansas Attorney General's office reported Thursday.

The attorney general's office received 3,462 applications for concealed-carry permits in April, which was down from the previous month after three consecutive record-breaking months in Kansas. The state received 4,072 applications in March, the most in any one month since the state started issuing permits six years ago. That was more than the 3,573 counted in February and the 3,167 applications that set a record in January.

A year before, the state processed 1,442 applications in the month of April. In the last four months, 14,274 Kansans filed new concealed-carry applications. There are now 55,988 active concealed-carry licensees in Kansas.

The attorney general's office reported Thursday that, since last fall, it has hired and reassigned staff to effectively double the number of people working on concealed-carry applications. So far, Thursday's report said, all of the completed applications are being processed within the 90 days required by law. The attorney general has said a request for authority to hire three more licensing personnel is still being considered by the Legislature.

Comments

KansasLiberal 1 year, 7 months ago

"Thursday's report said, all of the completed applications are being processed within the 90 days required by law."

Is that true? Because there was an editorial in the LJW a week or two ago whining that the applications weren't being processed within 90 days. Is the AG's office not telling the truth or was the editorial not telling the truth?

KansasLiberal 1 year, 7 months ago

"Kansas statutes provide that applications are to be processed within 90 days — not whenever you get around to it. Ninety days! That’s not happening."

Which statement isn't true? The AG's statement or the editorial?

jackpot 1 year, 7 months ago

Maybe We think 90 Calendar days, the AG thinks 90 working days?

friendlyjhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Too bad the State wasn't working OT to get the through all the mess earlier this year when the pricey new system wasn't working correctly. Should have been a back up plan (by hand) then.

elliottaw 1 year, 7 months ago

I believe that the sale of tin foil is going up too, can't be to safe to protect yourself from ALL the dangers out there

Fred Mertz 1 year, 7 months ago

Really, you don't think there is any danger out there? No murderers, no rapist, no car jackers, no murderous bombers in the backyard?

50YearResident 1 year, 7 months ago

What are you afraid of? You seem to be overly worried that your friends and neighbors are getting permits. That is if you have any friends.

elliottaw 1 year, 7 months ago

I am worried about all the spineless people who can no longer face life and are so paranoid and weak that they feel they must have a gun on them at all times. We need a lot less spineless people in the US it would be a lot better place then what it is turning into now.

Charles L Bloss Jr 1 year, 7 months ago

Perhaps if we deported the millions of illegal aliens in the U.S. it would improve the situation.

Greg Cooper 1 year, 7 months ago

Non-sequitor deluxe. Care to try the race card next?

Jason Johnson 1 year, 7 months ago

Until that happens (less spineless people), I will carry for my own protection.

chootspa 1 year, 7 months ago

Maybe the 29% of people who think an armed rebellion may soon be necessary? http://publicmind.fdu.edu/2013/guncontrol/

Enlightenment 1 year, 7 months ago

So its ok to pay overtime so the gun nuts can get their CC permit, while the sequestration has resulted in organizations and companies laying off workers, while many more have decided not to staff vacant positions. Schools on military bases are contemplating four-day weekly schedules. Food pantries have closed, as have centers that provide health services. Farmers have been forced to go without milk production information, causing alarm in the dairy industry and the potential of higher milk prices. Workers at missile-testing fields are facing job losses. Federal courts have closed on Fridays. Public Broadcasting transmitters have been shut down. Where are the priorities in our state and federal government?

50YearResident 1 year, 7 months ago

Do you know that the fees collected pay for all the services required to process a permit? There is even a profit made from the permits. They are not free to the applicants.

Charles L Bloss Jr 1 year, 7 months ago

Though I do not have a KS concealed carry permit, I think it is important that the Attorney General transfer enough people temporarily to comply with the 90 day period. As the recent article shows, permit applications are slowing down. Soon they may be back to normal levels, and the extra people can return to their jobs.

BigAl 1 year, 7 months ago

I am a gun owner (and a veteran, for whatever that's worth). My guns are in the basement locked away. That said, I definitely do not feel safer knowing that there are almost 56,000 Kansans now carrying a gun. Not only that, these 56,000 folks were approved by some government agency. I don't have the answer and I am for gun ownership but this whole concept of concealed-carry concerns me.

Charles L Bloss Jr 1 year, 7 months ago

Being a veteran is worth a lot to me. My Dad and my Father in law were veterans of WWII. I have the greatest respect for veterans. I do not know why you would feel less safe with the number of concealed carry permit holders. They were required to have a background check ( a friend of mine work's for the AG and I know he does his job right ). They were required to take a safety class, though not long enough for my liking, and qualify on the range. Open carry concerns me a lot more. They have none of the above, they just strap on a firearm and walk around. I am a strong supporter of the second amendment, life member of NRA & GOA. With the situation in this country, and the world today, I support a background check and other requirements for concealed carry permit holders. I do not have a KS concealed carry permit myself.

William Weissbeck 1 year, 7 months ago

How about devoting overtime and staff to shutting down meth labs? Or investigating medical provider Medicaid fraud? Or dozens of other far more pressing things. Again, they aren't taking your guns away. They're just giving you the right to be a bigger yahoo than you already are.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 7 months ago

actually they are prosecuting meth and medicaid fraud. I had to defend a meth case and a medicaid fraud case in the last year that was prosecuted by the AG. I have a concealed carry, didn't think I was a yahoo but I am a fifth generation Kansan. Maybe that qualifies as a Yahoo.

William Weissbeck 1 year, 7 months ago

Mine go back to the Abolitionists, farmed, worked the WPA (and still didn't vote for FDR), and don't feel a need for concealed carry. You miss the point - it's hardly a priority to devote any over time to this task. Any over time and staff should be assigned elsewhere. People can wait.

optimist 1 year, 7 months ago

What about the law. Is that not reason enough? The law specifically states that the process shall be completed within 90 days of application.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 7 months ago

i don't have a need for concealed carry. i took the class because i was curious and i got a discount. mine too, farmed, WPA, did vote for Roosevelt and Truman.

James Minor 1 year, 7 months ago

The Horror, The Horror!!!! More people carrying guns waiting for the chance to shoot someone. In the future, there will be a time when it will be like the Wild West. People lined up in the street at high noon settling their differences by shooting each other in the foot. Kansas has Education, Health, Government, Environment, and Gun Control problems, and our solution is to have more people carrying concealed weapons??? Is that the focus of Kansas to ignore the big issues but make sure there is a pistol in their pants? We are better than the NRA radicals with zero solutions for solving the gun problem in America!! It is time Kansas starts showing them why we are better and emphasis on CC is not the answer!!!

Jason Johnson 1 year, 7 months ago

I pray I never have to draw. But if I have to, I'm glad I have it at my side.

Charlie Bannister 1 year, 7 months ago

Don't Tread On Me we are most definitely kindred spirits. The legislature passed Conceal Carry and over rode Sebelius' veto for one over riding simple reason--the people that they represent demanded it! Crime always goes down when conceal carry passes and Kansas has been no exception. I remember right after the legislature over rode Sebelius' veto and all these leftists were on here whining about how there was going to be blood in the streets and the Wild West was back again! Well guess what. It didn't happen! I carry all the time. Usually one on my person and one in whatever vehicle I happen to be in. I am in my 50's and most would never guess when you look at me that I make it my business to be highly trained and proficient with it. I have never had to pull it and God forbid that I should ever have to. But I carry it because it is my right to do so, and it is a right that is here to stay!! GUNS--WHEN SECONDS COUNT AND THE POLICE ARE ONLY MINUTES AWAY!!

Jeremiah Jefferson 1 year, 7 months ago

You know, I love hunting and shooting but have no desire to pack a heater every where I go. I don't need to because I don't put myself in a position to need one. Having 55K+ concealed carry permit holders on the streets of Kansas does nothing more than make me more afraid of this sickening society we live in. Of all the people I have met that have a concealed carry permit, one, maybe two should even be allowed to touch a gun.