Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Police cite 27 motorists in Monday night seat-belt enforcement

May 2, 2013

Lawrence police cited 26 adult motorists for not wearing their seat belts Monday night in a special enforcement effort, said Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence Police Department spokesman. One juvenile was also cited.

Kansas law mandates a minimum ticket of $60 for drivers and passengers ages 14 to 17 who are cited for not wearing a seat belt. The ticket is $10 for those 18 and older.

The seat-belt enforcement efforts are paid for with a grant from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and often lead police officers to discover other offenses. Officers also cited a driver with a suspended license, and made arrests on outstanding warrants and drug offenses. Five police officers were involved in the enforcement, from 8:30 p.m. Monday to 12:30 a.m.

Sixty-three percent of Kansas fatal-accident victims in 2012 were not wearing seat belts, according to the Kansas Department of Transportation. Douglas County had one of the highest rates of seat-belt usage in Kansas, with 90 percent of drivers and passengers wearing seat belts, while the average elsewhere in the state is 88 percent.

Comments

James Minor 11 months, 2 weeks ago

We can debate the pros and cons of seatbelt safety but I would rather wear one while driving than to find out later about the benefits. It is good that the police took time out of their schedule to remind drivers of the importance of seatbelt safety. It is them that arrive on the scene and have to deal with the medical issues related to not wearing one. Most businesses go through daily safety awareness and exercises to remind employees to be safe. If they don't they could lose their job. Employees usually take their job seriously and their safety. Why not do the same when you are behind the wheel???? "Buckle up for Safety before you drive---- or Walk"!!!!

hitme 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I've always been a fan of natural selection as well. In fact, that would be an appropriate check box on death certificates.

skinny 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Let the natural selection process takes it course! It'll catch up to those that aren't smart enough to wear their seatbelts!!

Clare Galloway 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I was one that was pulled over Monday the police were nice and mainly explained it was for safety they weren't treating me like a criminal or being suspicious of anything I am thankful they were concerned for my safety- but I still don't like to wear seatbelts. But glad it was just a 10 dollar ticket and no court cost...

weiser 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I can go 70 mph on K-10. Two wheels and no helmet.

Steven Gaudreau 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't understand, I thought seatbelt laws would stop everyone from not wearing seatbelts.

snook3200 11 months, 2 weeks ago

blah blah blah, one night ticketing people, we was run off the road by someone on the phone , bent down trying to pick up something and almost killed us. where was the police for that. we always want this and that. and everyone wants to cry and say what they think is wrong or right. but seriously if we want to wear a freaking seat belt we will. it is ten freaking dollars, who cares. where is the ticket for all those texting and on their phones. get your minds right. or is it that everyone thinks that is ok as long as you have a seatbelt on. will a seatbelt save you when someone plows through you while they are on the phone. what a joke.

sunny 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Way to save us from ourselves!

blindrabbit 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I wear a seatbelt all the time. but cannot figure out how somebody would be caught not wearing one, even if the did not routinely do so. If you were not doing so and the cops stopped you, don't think you would quickly buckle up and avoid the ticket. Not like dumping a 6-pack or trying to explain away a moving traffic violation.

Jean Robart 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I read an article this morning about a woman who was in a minor fender bender with her three kids in the car. Restraints were in place. The kids are fine. She died when her airbag exploded and sent shrapnel into her neck and cut a jugular vein. I know this isn't about airbags, but maybe if she had not been restrained, she could have moved and thus avoided death.

Meatwad 11 months, 2 weeks ago

If they had to clean up after an accident I'll bet they would start wearing them and not complain

mom_of_three 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I had a friend killed in an auto accident. The driver of the 2nd car survived because they were wearing a seatbelt but my friend wasn't.
from that point on, I had no problems with wearing seatbelts.

Liberty275 11 months, 2 weeks ago

This is an indication we have too many policemen in this city.

Bursting 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Something about our government spending extra money to flex their muscle AND take money from us doesn't sit well with me.

somebodynew 11 months, 2 weeks ago

pizzapete - they aren't getting extra money from a grant to go out and enforce that. That is the only reason so many were out at one time for this. Money to pay for the overtime.

pizzapete 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I'd feel a lot safer if the police would write tickets for people using cell phones while driving. It's not going to do me any good if I get hit or run over by a distracted but belted driver talking on their phone.

greenworm 11 months, 2 weeks ago

It just gives the police a better chance to pull u over, now that they have probable cause. how many of those accidents without a seatbelt on were while scooting around town doing 20-30-40 mph. But I completely agree with wearing one on the highway. where u doing 50 plus and your reaction time is not as quick. but in town give me a break, profiling, an excuse to check u out, all it is.

amac 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I just don't get it...why do people NOT wear seatbelts?

Karl_Hungus 11 months, 2 weeks ago

"Officers also cited a driver with a suspended license, and made arrests on outstanding warrants and drug offenses"

Bingo....that is the money shot they want, using seat belts as a way to "check your papers" and nab ya for something other than not wearing a seat belt