Archive for Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Anti-abortion activists urge passage of fetal heartbeat bill in Kansas

March 26, 2013

— Anti-abortion activists on Tuesday urged passage of a bill that would prohibit an abortion if a fetal heartbeat is detectable, saying the measure would lead to a challenge of the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Roe v. Wade, which struck down many state laws restricting abortion.

“This is an opportunity unlike any we’ve ever had,” said Janet Porter, president of the anti-abortion group Faith2Action. “And this bill before you is the very best vehicle in the country to bring ‘Roe’ crashing to the ground."

Porter also told the House Federal and State Affairs Committee that Kansas should act quickly before the retirements of U.S. Supreme Court justices Antonin Scalia, who has built a conservative record, and Anthony Kennedy, who has been the swing vote on social issues.

“This bill must reach them before an administration hostile to life has an opportunity to replace them,” Porter said. “After 40 years and 55 million dead babies, if this is not the time, there is never a time.”

But opponents of House Bill 2324 argued that the bill was unconstitutional and would cost a lot to defend in court.

“The bill would multiply the over $700,000 in legal expenses Kansas taxpayers have already spent defending unconstitutional abortion restrictions over the past two years,” said Elise Higgins, lobbyist and state co-coordinator for Kansas NOW. “Using the state’s resources to pick a fight with the Supreme Court is a waste of constituents’ money."

Opponents called the bill “dangerous” and said that it could increase instances of unsafe, illegal abortions. Sometimes a fetal heartbeat is detectable by six weeks of pregnancy.

They also said the proposal does not contain exceptions for pregnancies resulting from rape or incest. “Ultimately, women are moral actors equipped to make their own decisions about pregnancy,” Higgins concluded. “The Legislature has no place in this private decision-making.”

Committee Chairman Rep. Arlen Siegfreid, R-Olathe, said that members of the committee would vote on the bill. However, because the bill has been introduced near the end of the 2013 session, he did not think there was enough time to move it through the House and Senate.

Later on Tuesday, North Dakota Gov. Jack Dalrymple signed a similar piece of legislation. The law would take effect Aug. 1, making it the state with the most restrictive abortion rights.

Comments

JohnnyRaven 1 year ago

6th commandment says," though shall not kill" if you believe in Gods commandments. If you don't believe his commandments-Well his commandment is still though shall not kill. Do you really want to sign your name on the dotted line against the will of God?

Sister don't read She'll never know What about love? Living a Christian soul

What do we get? She runs away What about love? What about all I pray?

Go through the words She knows the What about life? Living is all I see

What will you get? Things she will say What about love? That's all I pray

Those abortion papers Signing your name Against the word of God

Those abortion papers Think about life I'd like to have my child

Sister confused She went along What about love? What about all I saw?

Biding her time Reading the words Singing a song Citing the Bible verse

Father's confused Mother despair Brother's in curse What about all I've seen?

You know the lie You keep it low What about heart? That's all I've thought

Those abortion papers Signing your name Against the word of God

Those abortion papers Think about life I'd like to have my child

Those abortion papers (ooh!) Signing your name Against the word of God

Those abortion papers Think about life I'd like to have my child

Look at my words What do they say? Look at my heart Burning is all heartbreak

What do you get? What do you say? What about love? Feel my...

Those abortion papers Signing your name Against the word of God

Those abortion papers Think about life I'd like to have my child

Those abortion papers (ooh!) Think about life I'd like to have my child Ooh!

Who have the grateful? Where will she go? What will she do? Don't read the word

Sister don't know Where will she go? What about love? What about all I saw?

What will you get? People confused Double deceit It's just the things I do

Those abortion papers Signing your name Against the word of God

Those abortion papers Think about life I'd like to have my child

Those abortion papers (abortion paper, hee-hee) Those abortion papers I'd like to have my child (hee-hee) Those abortion papers (hee-hee) Those abortion papers (hee-hee) I'd like to have my child (hee-hee) Those abortion papers (hee-hee)

Yours truly Michael Jackson previously unreleased recording

KUGreenMachine 1 year ago

The same people that want government to stay out of their lives, are the ones that want government to get involved in the lives of others as long as it doesn't effect them. Total hypocrisy.

gatekeeper 1 year ago

Always love how some posters ^^^^^^^ feel the need to insult anyone they don't agree with and thinks everyone with a different view point is a lib that wants everything for free. Just because someone has a differening opinion than you doesn't mean you must be nasty and insulting.

Insulting others is what people do when they don't have a valid argument to make.

Michael LoBurgio 1 year ago

The Biblical God is NOT pro-life, he advocates child murder, infanticide, child abuse and abortion:

Abortion:

Hosea 9:11-16 Hosea prays for God’s intervention.  “Ephraim shall bring forth his children to the murderer.  Give them, 0 Lord: what wilt thou give?  Give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts. . .Ephraim is smitten, their root is dried up, they shall bear no fruit: yea though they bring forth, yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb.”  Clearly Hosea desires that the people of Ephraim can no longer have children.  God of course obeys by making all their unborn children miscarry.  Is not terminating a pregnancy unnaturally “abortion”?

Numbers 5:11-21 The description of a bizarre, brutal and abusive ritual to be performed on a wife SUSPECTED of adultery.  This is considered to be an induced abortion to rid a woman of another man’s child.

Numbers 31:17 (Moses) “Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every women that hath known man by lying with him.” In other words: women that might be pregnant, which clearly is abortion for the fetus.

Hosea 13:16 God promises to dash to pieces the infants of Samaria and the “their women with child shall be ripped up”. Once again this god kills the unborn, including their pregnant mothers.

2 Kings 15:16 God allows the pregnant women of Tappuah (aka Tiphsah) to be “ripped open”. And the Christians have the audacity to say god is pro-life. How and the hell is it that Christians can read passages where God allows pregnant women to be murdered, yet still claim abortion is wrong?

UfoPilot 1 year ago

Notice how no one here wants to comment on what abortion "IS". They dodge the topic by stating, "what about guns" or "What about the death penalty" or "All republicans are bad". Abortion is the death of a human being.

msezdsit 1 year ago

The Nannies are at it again.

Patriot2 1 year ago

I do not consider my self a conservative nor a liberal. I am an individual that considers all issues and form my own decisions as an American, born under the laws of the land, the United States of America. These laws were decided long before my conception with fewer legislatures and far less expense. An issue does not appear before the Supreme Court overnight through some unknown route. It is discussed and recussed for YEARS before reaching that bench. Millions of tax payers money is spend just so a liberal can blame a conservative or a conservative blame a liberal over the outcome of an issue that neither really cares about. Its winning the battle no matter the battle, just win it! If the law was decided years ago, so be it. Don't be so hell bent on rewriting history, but pay more heed to preserving the future. The United States is near financial ruin, we do not need to tie up more money we don't have just to say I was involved, I was a participant. One hundred years from now no one, but law students studying perpetural motion and the rapid decline of America will really give a damn.

Dawn_Askrak 1 year ago

Just please don't allow fetuses with heartbeats to have access to automatic weapons. That would be chaos!

JayhawkFan1985 1 year ago

I don't appreciate it when people like Janet porter use inflammatory words to provoke an emotional reaction. Who wouldn't support a culture of life? Why is it that conservatives who support a culture of life refuse to support universal background checks on gun purchases? Why is it conservatives support the death penalty? Answer, they are not really for a culture of life any more than liberals. They just place different focus on protecting life. They want a big government to prevent abortions. They want a big government to execute some criminals. They want small government in terms of gun rights issues. Some anti abortion zealots even resort to murder as happened a few years ago in Wichita.

As for me, I believe life begins on your actual birthday...that's why we celebrate the anniversary of people's birth, not their conceptions.

Jonathan Fox 1 year ago

"Opponents called the bill “dangerous” and said that it could increase instances of unsafe, illegal abortions."

This is the worst argument against abortion I've ever heard. This basically says that abortion shouldn't be illegal because people will do it anyway. I guess we should legalize murder, robbery, fraud, and just about every law we have because people do them anyway.

Cait McKnelly 1 year ago

Awww Kansas got beat to the punch.
I'm so sorry that their drive to out crazy other states is failing.
How quickly do they think they can get it through the lower courts? (People DO know it will be enjoined until it gets there, right?)
What guarantee do they have that SCOTUS will even hear it once it gets there?
What guarantee do they have that SCOTUS will overturn Roe? (Troy Newman called SCOTUS, "a ghoulish oligarchy of men called the Supreme Court". Last I knew, two of the nine members were women.)
They really ARE willing to risk hundreds of thousands of state dollars on this? Hey, at least North Dakota has oil money swelling it's coffers to back up it's swagger. What's Kansas got? A drying up aquifer turning half the state into a desert.

Agnostick 1 year ago

Yep... Miss Porter certainly knows how to raise a ruckus...

Thomas Bryce 1 year ago

Women across this State and America should be asking this Woman, Janet Porter why she supports Less rights for women! Why are so many Women Law makers OK with less rights for Women? Do they speak for you or don't they? I encourage you to let them know how you feel.

MasterShake 1 year ago

What's more interesting, to me, is that a group (conservatives) who vociferously demands that government stay out of our lives, is now demanding that government intervene.

KansasLiberal 1 year ago

People like Janet Porter are certifiably insane. If you don't like abortions, don't have one. It's that simple.

Hooligan_016 1 year ago

So when conservatives go on about "STATES RIGHTS" etc., we let a activist/lobbyist group out of Ohio dictate our OWN internal policy. Seems legit.