Archive for Saturday, March 23, 2013

Woman has life-threatening injuries after accident on K-10

March 23, 2013

A woman suffered life-threatening injuries after her vehicle left the roadway and crashed near the Johnson County line on Kansas Highway 10 on Saturday around 4:15 p.m.

Douglas County Dispatch said the accident involved a single vehicle. A passenger in the vehicle also suffered serious, but not life-threatening, injuries.

An air ambulance was unavailable because of the heavy snow falling in the area. The patient was transported by ground ambulance to an unnamed hospital.

No further details were immediately available.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 9 months ago

We often have visitors from the south that are not accustomed to driving in snow. It appears to me that you are assuming that the driver is a local person, which may not be the case. It is rather late in the season for snow, and they may have felt safe from the dangers of winter driving.

One of the greatest tragedies that can occur is a car accident far from home.

elliottaw 1 year, 9 months ago

at 4 yesterday the roads were only wet, the snow didn't start sticking until later in the day

John Hamm 1 year, 9 months ago

Oh, do you know more accident details than presented. "Vehicle left the roadway" there's many possible causes for that to happen - only one of them is "forgot how to drive."

geoismeo 1 year, 9 months ago

I hope these people survive also. From the comfort of your heated car to wounded on the side of the road is awful, but praying to an imaginary thing in the sky is a waste of time.

Jean Robart 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, it is. But praying to God is not. And, by the way, He isn't in the sky, He's in Heaven.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 9 months ago

Today's Bible Lecture:

There are passages in the Old Testament where Enoch and Noah of old were said to have "walked with G-d." (I believe in an allegorical way.) See Genesis Chapter 5, verses 22 and 24, and Chapter 6, verse 9. There are other passages that did not use that exact phrasing.

And in the New Testament, we have Matthew Chapter 18, verse 20, where the Son is quoted as saying "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

So no, clearly not in the sky or heaven, but beyond space, and I believe also beyond time.

Bob Forer 1 year, 9 months ago

I always wonder whether the people who claim to pray for victims of accidents actually do so. Or are they just saying it to prove to folks that they are "Good Christians."

Not to mention the fact that there is not one iota of evidence that prayer changes anything.

I wish the accident victim well.

Bob Forer 1 year, 9 months ago

UneasyRider 1 year, 9 months ago

There is no such thing as "god". It's a belief or myth that makes many feel good.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 9 months ago

Got any proof? Or how about just a definition of G-d that is all encompassing that everyone would agree upon.

Here's a very good definition: The sum totality of all that exists. So if there is no G-d, none of us exists at all.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 9 months ago

Geez, Sycho, lecturing someone about social niceties in a post so lacking in said niceties is, what? Not nice!

elliottaw 1 year, 9 months ago

actually that is debatable, she could have hit a barrier and been forced back onto the road causing other drivers to hit her as well, making the problem worse.

elliottaw 1 year, 9 months ago

foam barriers can still push cars back into the road

50YearResident 1 year, 9 months ago

You must not travel K-10, the cable barriers are all built and finished by 2 to 3 Mo. ago.

ae 1 year, 9 months ago

We were about 8 cars after this accident. It was in an area where there were cable barriers. The car was still on it's side of the road.. The roads were covered with a wet snow and the accident occurred over one of the small bridges just east of Eudora in the west bound lanes. The roads were slick! We pulled off on to the shoulder and as we watched cars come flying up on the accident they all had trouble trying to stop. Visibility was low. This accident could have been much worse. People assume if there is not much snow, the roads are fine...

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 9 months ago

Thank you! Best comment on this situation.

drummajor032003 1 year, 9 months ago

AE your comment is accurate. All theses people make assumptions. I was a first responder on this scene but I will not go into any details.

JJC 1 year, 9 months ago

We were also first responders on the scene. I was wondering if you have any updated information on how the mother was doing currently? I had followed up with LMH Saturday night but was not sure on her current status. I have not been able to get the family off my mind. Thanks for the response.

Kendra Stevenson 1 year, 9 months ago

I was driving that stretch of K-10 Saturday and while it had not been snowing for very long, the roads were becoming slick quickly. Between KC and Lawrence I saw at a number of vehicles who had run off the road. None were at locations of the cable median barriers and all were able to safely reenter the roadway without any damage (Just imagine if they had hit the barrier and how much damage it would have caused!). Now for the vehicle with injuries, I hope everyone was okay! The crash was located on a bridge (first part of roadway to become slick) and while I cannot say if the driver was speeding, I know there were many different speeds among the drivers on K-10. This crash would not have been prevented if the bypass was created nor was it the roadway's fault. People need to quit blaming everyone else and start taking responsibility for their own actions.