Archive for Friday, March 22, 2013

Storm expected to dump 5 to 7 inches of snow over the weekend

March 22, 2013, 5:26 p.m. Updated March 23, 2013, 11:03 p.m.

The National Weather Service predicts that 5 to 7 inches of snow will fall in the Lawrence area Saturday night and Sunday morning.

It looks like Lawrence is in for a late-season weekend snowstorm.

The National Weather service is predicting a snowstorm will move into the Lawrence area Saturday evening, bringing with it 5 to 7 inches of snow.

Light snowfall mixed with rain should begin around 3 p.m. before changing over to moderate and sometimes heavy snowfall in the early evening. Winds of 10 to 20 miles per hour out of the north with gusts of 28 mph are expected. The storm will continue through the night and into Sunday morning.

The weather service has issued a severe winter storm warning for Douglas County, running from Saturday afternoon until 1 p.m Sunday.

Lawrence road crews are pretreating and preparing roads for the storm and will remain on call to clear the precipitation when it falls, Lawrence spokeswoman Megan Gilliland said in a press release.

Comments

riverdrifter 1 year ago

~2" on the ground in BC and still coming as of this post. We skipped the 'rain' part of this deal.

IKU57 1 year ago

I think we are in store for the Eudora uvula. A cantankerous condition that will have people wishing for the Tonganoxie split.

Steve Jacob 1 year ago

Since it turned to snow quicker then expected, are we looking at a higher snow total? And if anyone does not want to drive to KC tomorrow, I will take those KU-NC tickets off your hands. BTW, is anyone going to stick around the Sprint Center for the La Salle-Ole Miss game afterword?

George_Braziller 1 year ago

At least the grass seed I put down a week ago when it was 85 has stayed well hydrated. Once the snow melts and it warms back up to normal Spring temperatures at the end of the week it should finally sprout and take off.

g_rock 1 year ago

I forgot to stock up on supplies ahead of time...I hope that they haven't cleared all the shelves of bourbon yet...

jimjones 1 year ago

I blame Obama...and Roy Williams. We're being punished for their sins. Someone needs to make a sacrifice. Kool-Aid anyone?

Leslie Swearingen 1 year ago

Past winters there has been snow on the ground for one or even two months. This winter we just had a few days of snow and only a few days where it got really cold. As for me I have no complaints about our weather. It is what it is. To me perfect weather is when I don't have to have either the heat or the AC on.

50YearResident 1 year ago

The Tonganoxie Split is working it's magic again. This snow is moving north, I may have to downgrade it again.

50YearResident 1 year ago

Watching the Weather Bug Radar, I predict the snow to be 1 to 4", not 4 to 7", and it will melt away on Monday.

jhawkinsf 1 year ago

I'd rather have a gentle rain with 60 degree weather. But since that's not what Mother Nature is offering, and given that we still need substantial moisture, I'll take as much as we can get.

bearded_gnome 1 year ago

Four to seven inches of snow will fall on the Lawrence area according to the lastest[sic] predictions by the National Weather Service.

---!!! okay, we've already had a great snow winter ... we're done now. I say, we catch and cook that darned groundhog!