Archive for Thursday, March 21, 2013

More snow on the way this weekend

March 21, 2013, 10:04 a.m. Updated March 21, 2013, 5:21 p.m.

It may be spring, but Lawrence could still experience some significant winter weather, according to forecasts from the National Weather Service.

A "light to moderate snow" fell across the region Thursday, starting around 9:30 a.m., before tapering off in the afternoon.

The most recent forecast from the National Weather Service calls for two winter weather storm systems to hit the area in the next few days.

A more substantial second round of winter weather, which could bring four to six inches of snow, is expected to hit the region Saturday morning and continue into Sunday. Winter weather watches have already been issued for areas of central Kansas and will likely extend into northeast Kansas as the storm approaches.

"Again the track the storm takes is going to be key," National Weather Service meteorologist Scott Whitmore said. "The main thing to stress is everybody needs to be up on their travel plans this weekend. It’s a sizable system. If you are going to be traveling anywhere you need to check the forecast. "

Whitmore added, for those frustrated by yet another round of snow, that the snow is not likely to sit on the ground very long.

Megan Gilliland, city of Lawrence spokeswoman, said city crews came in early Thursday morning in preparation for possible snowfall, and will remain on-call as storms develop.

Comments

riverdrifter 2 years, 1 month ago

Looks like we're just going to skip spring this year. Just watch it go from freezing temps to 85 in less than a week and that will make for severe weather.

George_Braziller 2 years, 1 month ago

It's already done that except the other way around. Last Friday it was 85 and I was re-seeding my lawn.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 1 month ago

Seasons are so yesterday. I say we just forget the whole concept. I know some don't take global warming seriously, and yes, there are dramatic changes in the weather now and then, but when you hear KU kids on the bus anxiously discussing the weather and saying things like, "Man, when I was young it wasn't like this, I remember when spring was like---" Then you know something is indeed wonky.

Phoghorn 2 years, 1 month ago

Makes me think of my childhood in northeast Kansas. Every Spring, Dad and I would hitch the horses to the plow, only to have those damb glaciers come right back.

gsxr600 2 years, 1 month ago

4-8 inches Saturday through Sunday. $&#%

Ken Lassman 2 years, 1 month ago

Not so fast, folks--it might not be so bad. Looks like they're backing off this some in the latest map:

bearded_gnome 2 years, 1 month ago

FOUR INCHES ... MAYBE MORE?!? uick! cancel everything, run for the hills! buy up the spam.

more snow than I first came here to kansas in the 80's.

p.s. the actual science connecting man's activities to supposed change in the climate (which is* always in flux) is dubious, and the earth has been quite warm before, growing wine grapes in the UK for example.