Archive for Friday, March 8, 2013

Pedestrian reports robbery at gunpoint

March 8, 2013

Lawrence Police responded to a report of an armed robbery Thursday night in the 1600 block of Rhode Island Street.

Sgt. Randy Roberts said that at 8:59 p.m. a man called in to report that he was robbed of an undisclosed amount of cash at gunpoint.

The man said he was walking along Rhode Island Street when two men approached him. One of the men, described as Hispanic, reportedly pointed a small handgun at the victim and demanded that he hand over his money.

The victim complied and the two men fled, heading north.

Roberts said the information was vague and no further description was available.

No injuries were reported.

Comments

Paul Silkiner 2 years ago

Lawrence has become like Kansas City: Kansas City Kansas or Kansas City Missouri. Lawrence Topeka West or Lawrence KC.K. East.......................Thank your local ___!

Pepe 2 years ago

You must not leave Lawrence much, if you think Lawrence crime is bad or anywhere near as bad as Topeka or KC.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years ago

Obviously, as the city grows larger you are bound to get more of these type of people, but when you actually cater to those who can't pay their bills, you might as well invite them by screaming "Welcome" from the highest hill.

jhawkinsf 2 years ago

Is this a fact driven forum? I thought opinions were equally welcome.

elliottaw 2 years ago

you have to be able to back up you opinions with something, he likes to make these giant claims of Lawrence being made of losers, drug addicts. I would like to know what statistics he is looking at that gives him such information

jhawkinsf 2 years ago

"you have to be able to back up your opinions with something" - Like articles in the local paper about pedestrians being robbed at gunpoint?

elliottaw 2 years ago

I didn't know it was solved already, so what was the person's name and how many bills had they missed. What drugs were they on? Was it a real gun? Where they employed? How is the city "catering" to these people or "promoting" them here? Has the rate of these people risen, if so by how much?

jhawkinsf 2 years ago

We're going in circles, now. You keep asking for facts, when opinions are equally welcome here. If you demand facts, go out and get them.

elliottaw 2 years ago

I'm not the one trying to pass my opinions off as facts

elliottaw 2 years ago

Vanilla ice cream is the best -- This is an example of an opinion, here is the definition: A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof

By asking for facts I was trying to see what exactly he is basing his opinion off of, I am guessing he is not basing it off of anything, that what he is saying is just purely out of hate.

Topeka is the capital of Kansas, this is a fact. It can be proven to be true. here is the definition of fact since you don't seem to really know what it means: Knowledge or information based on real occurrences

And since you think only the Left Wing uses facts you better watch your back because I think I saw a magic leprechaun following you, I heard they were in lawrence on Fox News

tomatogrower 2 years ago

How do you know these guys couldn't pay their bills? They probably are looking for drug money. And I think most people in Lawrence can pay their bills.

webmocker 2 years ago

"Too bad the man wasn't a CCW." This would help if the victim were such a fast draw that he could have shot both of them without getting injured himself. Or perhaps he could have just shot them in the back while they were running away, which isn't necessarily a bad idea if his aim is perfect.

elliottaw 2 years ago

you can get in trouble for shooting people in the back, it shows that they were "fleeing" and no longer a threat to you

Sam Crow 2 years ago

That is an incorrect statement. You obviously know nothing about the concealed carry laws in the state

elliottaw 2 years ago

Shoot someone running from you in the back let me know how that turns out for you. I worked law enforcement, you will be screwed

Sam Crow 2 years ago

I went to law school. Read the law.

You have changed your comment from shooting someone in the back to shooting someone running from you. Not the same thing.

elliottaw 2 years ago

no I replied to the person above mine who said that he should have shot them while they were running away, you shoot someone while they are running away from you and you are going to pay a price, I guarantee you learned that in law school if not you didn't go to a very good law school.

Sam Crow 2 years ago

Another broad, general statement that is incorrect. Regarding CCH, Kansas law states that deadly force can be used to defend a third party that is in imminent danger of bodily harm. For example, someone running from me while shooting at others can be dropped by me. KSA 2011. 21-5220 through 21-5231.

bad_dog 2 years ago

Just tell the police they "backed" you into a corner...

BitterClinger 2 years ago

"Too bad the man wasn't a CCW."

And had more situational awareness.

foxli 2 years ago

How, precisely, would "situational awareness" help out in this case? I pass other people while walking all the time. Any one of them could be a mugger; should I either develop psychic powers to figure out which are or just cross the street every time I meet someone on the sidewalk? That would make walking down Mass a pain.

Way to blame the victim, guys.

Lathrup 2 years ago

See......We should never have come down out of the trees.

2 years ago

So nobody else saw them, and the money is "gone". I wonder if he made up the story so that whoever he owed the money to doesn't push him to pay up immediately. Blame it on a race that some people already feel prejudiced against--that's easy. Say they had a gun--there's plenty of guns in the news lately. People will believe this story in a heartbeat! Say! The next time my wife or employer send me someplace with cash I might just have a party or go to the boats and come home with a real sob story. ...Of course...I could also get held up by this same guy looking for a way to get his money back.

parrothead8 2 years ago

Where in the story does it say that he owed money to someone? I have some money in my wallet right now. Do I owe it to someone by the mere fact of it being in my pocket, or is it okay that I have it there just in case I want to buy a sandwich later?

totealongshaker1 2 years ago

i live on Rhode Island. can we find out which block it was on?

bad_dog 2 years ago

You need look no farther than the opening sentence of the article. SMH

FlintlockRifle 2 years ago

I am betting 1600 block of R.I, --------------Yep I have my Matlock suit on

bad_dog 2 years ago

Thanks for the clarification, Flint. From a distance, I mistook you for The Great Carnak, Mystic from the East...

Richard Heckler 2 years ago

Anyone who believes as Lawrence grows more crime will not be one result is not paying attention. Crime and growth come together. 30 years ago Lawrence crime rate was way down.

Crime is tough to circumvent. Crime must take place before a crime can be called a crime.

When Bush/Cheney sent the economy down the tubes with millions of jobs going down the tubes as well............ crime is going to increase. The bottom line.