Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Lawrence man charged, three juveniles arrested, in robbery of pedestrian at gunpoint

March 8, 2013, 1:33 p.m. Updated March 8, 2013, 4:19 p.m.

A 19-year-old Lawrence man has been charged with aggravated robbery and other offenses in connection with a reported mugging involving a handgun Thursday night.

Douglas County prosecutors charged Caleb Christopher Mar Sheridan on Friday with aggravated robbery, conspiracy to commit aggravated robbery, unlawful defacing of identification on a firearm, possession of marijuana, and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Sheridan was arrested during a traffic stop in the 2700 block of Iowa Street about 1:50 a.m. Friday morning, after a mugging involving a handgun was reported Thursday night, said Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence Police Department spokesman.

A 15-year-old male reported the robbery to police about 8:30 p.m. Thursday, and said he had been held up at gunpoint by two men while walking in the 1600 block of Rhode Island Street, McKinley said.

The victim told police that one of the men pointed a black handgun at him and demanded cash, which he surrendered. Both of the robbers were dressed in dark clothing, the victim reported, including hooded sweatshirts. One of them wore a blue bandana over his face.

When Sheridan was arrested about five hours later, officers seized a loaded handgun they believed was used in the robbery, as well as additional ammunition and marijuana. Three juveniles in the car with Sheridan have also been arrested in the case and booked into the juvenile detention center, McKinley said. Their names were not made public Friday because of their age.

Aggravated robbery can carry a sentence of up to 20 years in prison, depending on a person's criminal history. The conspiracy to commit aggravated robbery carries a maximum sentence of 136 months, and the defacing a firearm charge a sentence of 13 months.

Sheridan remained in Douglas County Jail Friday and appeared in Douglas County Court via video. Douglas County District Pro Tem Judge James George set bond at $75,000 after prosecutors gave evidence that Sheridan had a criminal record, as a juvenile, of three battery charges and an assault charge since 2004. Sheridan next appears in court March 14.

Comments

THATSBULLANDYOUKNOWIT 1 year, 1 month ago

Caleb might have had all the help in the world, but its up to him to accept that help. Sadly in this day and age the pressure of drinking, and doing drugs is alarming, when my kids 18 & 19 tell me that I have no Idea how it is to live in this world today, I correct them and tell them that I do..Afterall, I was a teeneager faced with the same pressures when I was thier age... Its just that I decided the road to take was not the road to prison. Im warned by them that today is way different then when I was a kid...I agree with that... It is! I cant say that its not his parents fault...dont know whether or not they allowed this bad behavior to keep going or did they try to get him help?... I do know that Douglas County just pushes them through the system as fast as they can and they dont always think about the long term life of the kids..how to keep them from failing, how to keep them from going to prison.... Sometimes I just think that its about the money...they more in the system the more money the county gets from the state...shouldnt it be the other way around?... like the lowest crime rate should be awarded money to keep up whatever it is they are doing to keep the crime rate down? education people..education!

like_n_Lawrence 1 year, 1 month ago

The firefighters were at Jason's Deli having dinner. I saw them. They don't usually put that type of thing in the paper. Come on LJWorld! Slacking! :)

neworleans 1 year, 1 month ago

Pics of the subjects? Dont they post that?

neworleans 1 year, 1 month ago

Pics of the subjects? Dont they post that?

teach2live 1 year, 1 month ago

I am afraid Deb Engstrom is right about this young man's likely outcome. jhawkinsf, you are not wrong to suggest he is responsible for the choice he made but unless you know his family and can personally attest to the fact they were negligent in whatever way you believe creates a child who has committed such a crime as this, I find your blaming his family presumptuous and unfounded. As I do know his family ,I must add ignorant and cruel. He is loved and has had all the support any family could provide. As for the services that are in place to help him and his family, that is truly disturbingly tragic

Deb Engstrom 1 year, 1 month ago

For this crime, he will most likely get sentenced to prison. There he will learn everything he needs to know to be a really good criminal when he gets out.

063255 1 year, 1 month ago

Reading through all the comments, it is hard to know where to begin. One person thinks Caleb deserved the death penalty, in an earlier post I read this morning , by suggesting the victim would have done well to have been armed and shot him and the other kids. Deb Engstrom, Any daynow, and tenstring, all have made valid observations. Only those who know the facts of just how he/they arrived to this point can truly speak to the utter failure of the social services, etc. or the damage actually exacerbated by the "system". To thebcman, that "scum" you speak of is someone's child, nephew, grandson and this is a tragedy for everyone. His future as a convicted felon holds little promise and I don't even want to imagine what will happen to this kid in prison. I'm sure it won't heal him. Only Flintrockrifle even considered how his parents might feel. He could be anyones child. There are no guarantees that come with being a parent. And yes, he is 19. He is still a kid making very seriously dangerous and life altering choices that he may never recover from. I just thank God no one, neither he nor the victim were hurt.

Pywacket 1 year, 1 month ago

I will never figure out why the LJW doesn't provide more crime/incident coverage, in keeping with newspapers in similar-sized towns. We get random items like this one, and are left to wonder about everything else going on. As a "for instance," we were driving through the parking lot outside of Bed, Bath, & Beyond, Michaels, World Market, etc., last night at about 7:15 or so, and saw a large fire truck and an ambulance parked in the lot--my son spotted police tape (around an area of the lot, I think--he wasn't sure whether it encompassed a car or what)...

We aren't gawkers, so we continued on our way without circling around or otherwise trying to see anything more for ourselves. There were no flashing lights, and I'm not sure if there were any police cars--we got the impression that something had gone on earlier but that they were wrapping things up.

Naturally, seeing something like this arouses your curiosity, but (of course) there is nothing to be found in the paper today. Maybe it was a training exercise...? This is so typical of Lawrence, though. Very few accidents/crimes actually make it into the paper, and I believe this is something of interest to most readers. Most papers I'm familiar with have a more comprehensive daily crime log.

My home town (which is comparable to Lawrence in size and--to the best of my knowledge--amount of crime/accidents--does this very well, succinctly but with sufficient detail to give you a good idea of what is typically happening in what part of town. It also lets you know, for instance, that everyone was okay in a nasty-looking accident you saw the aftermath of, instead of making you wonder (as the LJW does) if you just imagined the whole thing.

Is it that hard to have a cub reporter compile a list from daily police/emergency reports? Obviously, you can't report every incident of "dog on the loose" or "resident failed to shovel his walk," but if several emergency vehicles are called to a scene and they wrap an area with police tape, it stands to reason that observers are going to be curious. Likewise, if traffic is slowed by police directing drivers around a pair of smashed-up vehicles, it's only reasonable to expect that those drivers will wonder if there were any injuries.

If anyone knows what was going on in that parking lot off Iowa last night, please share.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 1 month ago

Caleb, what do you think mom and dad think of you doing this for a living??????

weeslicket 1 year, 1 month ago

actually, the greatest respect should be given to the 15 year old who maintained his composure during the robbery, and was then able to give such an accurate description of the suspect that the police were able to catch him/them almost immediately.

Ronnie24 1 year, 1 month ago

Sounds kind of like gang activity to me. Proud of the quick job by the LPD!

Doug Harvey 1 year, 1 month ago

Some would say that if the victim had had a gun, he could have "defended himself," in which case there would have been some dead kids. As it is, the perpetrators will go to jail, whether prison or reform school, where they will be "punished" and come out probably worse than they went in. Meanwhile, the real social work and education that needs to happen has been defunded and is not considered valid and so on it goes . . .

Anydaynow 1 year, 1 month ago

I go along with Deb Engstrom's prediction of how things are working.

Deb Engstrom 1 year, 1 month ago

This is a perfect example of how we don't provide intensive services to troubled kids when they are young and we pay for it later in the prison system. Sad case.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 1 month ago

A 19 year old and 3 juveniles rob one 15 year old. Sounds like they've graduated from bullying to full on violent felons. Time the criminal justice system responds in kind, by graduating the offenders to adult prison.

ksjayhawk74 1 year, 1 month ago

This guy is 19 and has charges that go back to 2004?!?

So he was 10 or 11 when he was first charged!?!?

thebcman 1 year, 1 month ago

Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.

Bob Forer 1 year, 1 month ago

Excellent police work. Congratulations to the men and women in blue for a job well done.

consumer1 1 year, 1 month ago

We have some great police officers in this town. Way to go!!

ghusic1 1 year, 1 month ago

Great work on the speedy capture. We in that neighborhood really appreciate it.