Archive for Friday, March 8, 2013

Editorial: Gun stampede

Legislators and concealed-carry advocates need to stop and take a breath before pushing forward on any new gun legislation in the state.

March 8, 2013

The Kansas Board of Regents has set a policy for the institutions it governs, disallowing concealed carry of handguns on campuses.

Now comes the Kansas House of Representatives to debate a measure that would put that decision in the hands of local university administrators. Those, of course, are the folks who recommended the statewide policy to the regents, and who would have to buck their overseers to implement it on any specific campus. So that’s going to happen!

Regardless, Rep. Steve Brunk, R-Wichita, says he didn’t want to leave that decision to the regents. “It disallows the freedom of any particular university,” he said.

Under a measure approved by the Federal and State Affairs Committee, the full House of Representatives now will consider letting public schools and state universities designate employees who are authorized to carry concealed weapons to have them on campus and in buildings — even though state law prohibits other licensed individuals from legally bringing their weapons into those same school buildings.

The legislation also would require the state, cities, counties and townships to allow concealed guns in their buildings unless they have electronic equipment and officers to check for weapons at public entrances.

The bill would allow state institutions of higher education, government-owned hospitals and nursing homes to continue to ban guns for the next four years without meeting the security check requirement; school boards and university presidents, as noted, could designate employees who would be allowed to carry concealed weapons.

Supporters contend the legislation will make schools and universities safer by giving control to local officials. Others call it very risky, and still others, such as the lobbyist for the Unified Government of Kansas City and Wyandotte County, note it gives local governments an unpalatable choice: Either spend considerable money for security monitoring staff and equipment or make their public buildings wide open for concealed carry.

The thinking behind this legislation is indicative of the same stampede mentality that has led to record numbers of applications for Kansas concealed-carry permits, and to sellouts of weapons and ammunition at stores across the state. It’s unhealthy. Everyone needs to stop and take a breath before proceeding on gun legislation this session.

Comments

Charles L Bloss Jr 1 year, 9 months ago

If a particular building has a no gun sign, prohibiting me from protecting myself, then the building owners are responsible for my safety. Most building owners that place these signs have no means of protecting me or anyone else in that building.. As a retired peace officer, having served for 30 years, I arrested a lot of people. I am not being paranoid about it, just practical. I have had occasion to come in contact with several of these persons in public since my retirement. Fortunately none of the contacts have been negative, but they certainly could have been. If my arrest resulted in a long prison sentence, it is not uncommon for criminals to blame the criminal justice system rather than accept that their behavior was the cause. This does not affect just me, or other retired people who worked in the criminal justice system. With all of the shootings happening nationwide, criminals see no gun signs, or "gun free zones" as targets of opportunity. They think there is a high probability they will face no armed resistance, and they are mostly right. That is why they choose these targets. Any citizen has the right to protect themselves if the persons putting the no gun signs, or "gun free zone" signs do not provide that protection. I favor this bill for that reason. I recognize that liberals do not support the bill, that is their right. They should think about the reason for the bill, however.

mom_of_three 1 year, 9 months ago

Generalizations about liberals again. I would have no problem with a retired peace officer, such as yourself, carrying a gun on campus. I do, however, have problems with people who think like cowboys and believe they have to protect everyone because they have a gun and are not equipped to do so. I don't think a required gun safety class makes anyone prepared to handle a hostage situation or even a gunman on campus. AND how do the police who respond to the gunman on campus know who is the good guy and who is the bad guy.... that hasn't been addressed.

Charles L Bloss Jr 1 year, 9 months ago

I have my badge on a neck chain, I would always wear that in a situation such as you describe, I would also holster my firearm, or lay it on the ground, unless it was necessary, such as holding a criminal at gunpoint until help arrives. As for the liberals reference, I have found that most liberals do not share my opinions or values in the majority of cases. I apologize if that reference caused anyone to be hurt by it. I never gone onto the KU campus since I retired., so I doubt any change in the gun law regarding carrying on campus would affect me. I have not had specific hostage training, I would not assume that role. I would only try and save lives until active sworn officers arrive.

headdoctor 1 year, 9 months ago

So what ever happened to the rules that allowed Kansas retired peace officers the right to carry concealed weapons any where inside Kansas. You also have Federal law HR 218 even though it can be limited by State law. Did the current CCL law put a stop to retired peace officers having concealed weapons without a CCL?

Charles L Bloss Jr 1 year, 9 months ago

I carry under LEOSA (HR218). I can carry nationwide, but I must abide by local laws. The only persons allowed to carry on campus, under current law, are sworn, active peace officers. I do not have a KS concealed carry permit, I do not need one. To carry under LEOSA (Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act) I must qualify yearly, shooting the type of firearm I wish to carry, and shoot the same course of fire that all KS peace officers shoot. If I wish to carry both semi-auto & revolvers, I must qualify with each.

tecuani 1 year, 9 months ago

Using your logic, we shouldn't have 20 MPH zones around schools because it would just attract speed demon psychopaths in cars...

Linda Endicott 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't for an instant think that anyplace with a "no guns" sign is going to automatically become a target for crime...with the apparent mindset of most criminals, I think they would consider a place that has guns as a bigger target...they'd be wanting to prove that they could rob a place even with guns there...

Isn't that what happens when banks are robbed? Surely the criminals know that there are going to be armed guards there, and in many other places where shootings occur, like courthouses...and yet those kinds of crimes still happen...how do you explain that?

gudpoynt 1 year, 9 months ago

If I have a "No shoes, no shirt, no service" policy, does that mean I'm obligated to provide shoes and shirts for those that don't have any?

fiddleback 1 year, 9 months ago

Maybe rather than writing a politely disdainful editorial for every utterly asinine, embarrassing, and time-wasting proposal coming through our legislature, LJW should just create a regular feature called "This Week in Mortifyingly Stupid/Insane Statehouse News"... this brain trust has only been at work a couple months but has already so thoroughly punished anyone anyone bothering to pay attention that the phrase "outrage fatigue" comes to mind...another potential segment title...

Keith 1 year, 9 months ago

They can't do that, the owner has supported these goobers for years, and is just now noticing how stupid they are.

headdoctor 1 year, 9 months ago

One can only assume that Dolph isn't paying a lick of attention to what goes on at his paper except maybe to write his Saturday Editorial. Guess I just managed to state the obvious.

Dan Eyler 1 year, 9 months ago

Lynn731 your comments are accurate and full of common sense. At the rate Kansans are arming themselves criminals on the street and home invaders such as the home burglaries we experienced last summer will result in deadly encounters. Home invasions should always be a shoot first and ask questions later situation. A thug robbing someone in our neighborhoods should be met with force. Lawrence likes to celebrate "taking back the night", and we are heading in the right direction to make that possible. It won't happen with whistles, it won't happen by urinating on, or vomiting on the criminal or rapist. There are no safe zones to run too, there are no police who will get there before the crime is committed. But there is self defense and it works far more often than not. It works much better than pissing or vomiting on yourself, or blowing a whistle.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 1 year, 9 months ago

I thought the Democratic Party had learned its lesson when it came to 2nd Amendment issues, but clearly the fringes of the party have taken control. Certainly it had during the Clinton years. Clinton understood the depth of feeling about this issue and his policies helped move many back into the Democratic column. Now Democrats are bucking a tsunami of angst from the American people over this issue. I hope more rational minds help move the party back to the Clintonian policies of the past.

Also, this editorial completely misses the point by having no explanation why people are stripping the shelves of gun stores in the first place. How can you ask someone to stop and breath if you don't know what's motivating them in the first place?

tecuani 1 year, 9 months ago

Seriously? The Republican party is the group who as become radicalized. Most Americans support universal background checks, yet Republican legislators believe that they somehow have support for their stance opposing said background checks.

I'm sorry, who is living on the fringe?

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 9 months ago

""insane gun buying ""and"" politics of fear "", you are probably right with the people trying to ruin the country, Who is one of the people on the committee to come up with a policy for gun control, do you know the name Eric Holder and all the guns here and big "O" let go to south of this country??Yes I am in fear.

Mark Currie 1 year, 9 months ago

I am not going to do any name calling here. I know of no case where a cch person has hurt anyone in KS. I know others who have hurt people, but not cch. If a building isn't secure like our courthouse, and is posted, I don't go there unless I absolutely have to. LMH has security, so no problem. Some of the schools have SROs, again no problem. Other places, I feel very uneasy. If there is no sign, I will carry. I do not believe people wanting to protect themselves, or their homes to be on any fringe, just people. I do believe in training, the more the better, also practice, the more the better.

jafs 1 year, 9 months ago

Well, you must have missed the story about the cch who shot his wife accidentally at a restaurant then.

According to folks who seem to know something about guns, he had his gun in his pocket in a very stupid and unsafe manner - also he was drinking, which cch folks are supposed to refrain from when carrying.

Mark Currie 1 year, 9 months ago

Sorry, I forgot about that idiot. Yes the gun must be in a holster. I meant though, someone pulling a gun and shooting someone. That guy in Olathe should have his cch pulled. My fault there. Sorry

Michael LoBurgio 1 year, 9 months ago

This woman used her 2nd Amendment rights!

Coupon Rejected, Walmart Shopper Pulled Out Gun

Angered that a Walmart employee refused to honor a “dollar-off” coupon, a Florida woman allegedly retrieved a handgun from her car and waved the weapon at several store employees, police allege.

Mark Currie 1 year, 9 months ago

This was a criminal act and should be treated as such, with extra time thrown in for use of a gun to commit a crime.

jafs 1 year, 9 months ago

Sure, she also claimed to have a concealed weapons permit.

greatgatsby 1 year, 9 months ago

No one in Lawrence really has anything to worry about with this measure. Even if it is passed, do you really think KU is going to allow it? Tough chance. I think this would mainly be for Friends University down in Wichita. As far as I can remember, Friends has been the only school in KS to allow conceal carry on campus and I think it is them who wants to have that right still.

mom_of_three 1 year, 9 months ago

Friends is a Quaker school, which is surprising they want to allow CCH on campus, since quakers have always been on the nonviolent side.

Mark Currie 1 year, 9 months ago

jafs, She may have had a cch permit. Carrying a gun gives you no right to do anything illegal. why did she have to go to her car to get it if she really had a cch? I agree with the post above, no one in Lawrence has anything to worry about. Also remember the story I told here awhile back about a local law enforcement officer accidentally shot himself in the buttocks while reholstering his Glock pistol. Finger in the trigger guard. Please don't count all of us in with the loon from Olathe who was so stupid as to carry a gun in his pocket without a pocket holster.

Thanks

jafs 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't do that.

But, pro gun folks often talk about how cc permit holders are reasonable and careful - obviously they're not all that way.

Mark Currie 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks. I have to agree. I wish they had left the class in that had to be taken for renewal. The idiot in Olathe was drinking too from what I heard. That is illegal, he should have his cch pulled and be charged with a crime. If humans are involved, there are going to be accidents, no matter what. I hope I haven't offended you. I would not care as I said if the rules to get a cch were harder. My teacher was a very good one. She had us so nervous most of us couldn't hold our guns steady to qualify. She also offers excellent classes that people should take on defensive use of a lethal weapon. In 6 years of carrying, I have not one time ever considered the need for the gun, and fully realize its use will change my life forever. Due to my failing health, it is comforting to know I have the option to defend myself and my family. Have a good one.