Archive for Thursday, March 7, 2013

Kansan charged in accidental shooting of wife with concealed gun

March 7, 2013

— A Kansas man who accidentally shot his wife while they were eating at a restaurant is facing criminal charges.

Sixty-six-year-old William H. Mize Jr., of Lenexa is charged with aggravated battery and carrying a concealed weapon while under the influence.

Police say Mize and his wife were sitting across from each other at a Longbranch restaurant Jan. 2 when he reached into his pants pocket and accidentally discharged a small pistol, shooting his wife in the leg. She was treated and released at a hospital.

Mize had a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon. But Kansas law does not allow people who are under the influence of alcohol to carry concealed weapons.

Comments

elliottaw 1 year, 6 months ago

if only his wife also had a gun so she could have shot the bad gun, or someone else sitting around them so they could have pulled out their guns and stopped this senseless shooting.

Phoghorn 1 year, 6 months ago

I suspect that a concealed carry course teaches you to react differently in a case of an accidental discharge (by someone else's gun) versus an active shooter situation.

Overturning concealed carry because of this case would be similar to banning cars because someone drove drunk and injured somebody. It was a horrible accident - nothing more, nothing less.

elliottaw 1 year, 6 months ago

Didn't say it should be overturned because of this. Pretty sure that the course teaches you to always have it in a holster and not rammed in your pocket. There also is nothing taught that would have prevented the other people in the restaurant from firing at him in they felt they were in danger, which is a very open and subjective statement.

Phoghorn 1 year, 6 months ago

In all fairness, no you did not argue that. Unfortunately, some folks invariably will however. I was trying to get in my $0.02 before someone tried to make that case. There are some individuals who are adamantly opposed to concealed carry, and would undoubtedly love to make this guy a poster child for their cause.

elliottaw 1 year, 6 months ago

I would love to see a restriction on it and more training (yearly / or bi-yearly) so make the process safer for everyone, right now it is one course that is very basic at best

kawrivercrow 1 year, 6 months ago

Good! I am all for CCW holders who act in a 100% responsible manner and I am all for holding them 100% accountable when they fail to act in a 100% responsible manner.

Every single diner in that restaurant was lucky they didn't get shot instead of the guy's own wife.

elliottaw 1 year, 6 months ago

bet you he wishes he would have hit someone else though because he is going to be hearing about this for years

Phoghorn 1 year, 6 months ago

What makes you think that? Not trying to troll, I am just curious how you came to this opinion.

P.S. I appreciate your very rational discussion on the Statute of Limitations article a few days ago, I just did not get around to commenting on it.

jafs 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm really starting to worry about KL's attitude towards women.

jafs 1 year, 6 months ago

Wow.

Lots of projection there.

As I said before, you're the one who got "emotional" in our previous discussion, not me. If you don't want me to respond to your comments, just say so, and I'll stop. Of course, it'll be mutual then. Up to you.

If you can't understand why the combination of our previous discussion about rape, in which you echo the traditional ideas used to discount rape victims and this one, in which you're certain that this man wanted to shoot his wife would make me question your attitudes towards women, I can't help you with that.

Well, I'll try a little bit - why are you so sure he wanted to shoot his wife? People who say things like that usually don't like women very much.

elliottaw 1 year, 6 months ago

he carried a gun that did not have a safety or had one that wasn't engaged in his pocket, I don't think you can put common sense on this guys side.

Phoghorn 1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks for the response. This just seems to be such a strange case on so many levels.

elliottaw 1 year, 6 months ago

he apparently didn't even have the safety in, he had the freaking thing in his pocket

DillonBarnes 1 year, 6 months ago

To echo what the poster below said. Many firearms do not have a traditional external safety but rely on a longer heavier trigger pull. A firearm designed to fit into a pocket is usually designed like that, without an external safety. That being said, he still should have had his firearm in a holster.

elliottaw 1 year, 6 months ago

they he should not be carrying it, certainly not in his pocket.

optimist 1 year, 6 months ago

Most "pocket pistols", like revolvers, do not have a safety. They are generally double action with a trigger safety which acts as a drop safety. Even if he were keeping it in his pocket he should have had a pocket holster that covers the trigger to prevent just this type of thing from happening. While it may have been an accident he is responsible for the discharge of his firearm in a public place and should be held accountable. It could have been much worse than striking his wife in the leg.

Patricia Davis 1 year, 6 months ago

I think a better invention would be a patch indicator for stupid.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 6 months ago

many of the semiautos sold do not have traditional safeties. glocks and similar firearms have either grip or trigger safeties or both. if there is a round in the chamber that weapon is hot. revolvers have never had safeties, just transfer bars in some to prevent accidental discharge if the hammer is stuck. this guy did something stupid and he will pay for it.

msezdsit 1 year, 6 months ago

The whole thing was planned he just didn't get a very good shot off because the gun wasn't as accessible being under the table. Above the table it would have been attempted murder. Below the table it is just aggravated battery and he will get through this and have to come up with a better plan. This is one wife who should always look over her shoulder and under the table from now on or dump this guy.

kawrivercrow 1 year, 6 months ago

UIhh, no. Not anywhere in this country.

What country (or planet) are you talking about?

tomatogrower 1 year, 6 months ago

So, can they take away his permit? I hope so.

1 year, 6 months ago

Yes,it will be revoked as a matter of course.

Haiku_Cuckoo 1 year, 6 months ago

I know two people that recently got their CC permits. One person said that his class was very to-the-book and taught a lot of information. The other person went to a smaller class that was taught on a guys's farm, and he said that class was a joke and that the instructor gave everyone the answers during the written exam. Each of those two people now have the CC permit, but I feel that only one of them is qualified. I think the LJWorld should do an undercover investigation to visit various schools and see how seriously the curriculum is followed at each place.

justhavetosayit 1 year, 6 months ago

The gun was in a pocket that must not have been his shirt pocket. He is lucky he didn't shoot his you know what off. But if he had that probably would have been considered punishment enough. His wife might have been happier too.