Archive for Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Under bill, concealed carry of guns would be decided by school boards, university leaders

March 6, 2013

— School boards and university administrators would be able to decide if they want employees who have concealed-carry licenses to be able to carry their weapon on the job, under a bill approved Wednesday by a House committee.

The Federal and State Affairs Committee sent House Bill 2055 to the full House for consideration.

Under the measure, Kansas University Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little could allow licensed concealed-carry holders to carry concealed guns in certain buildings. The same would hold true for the Lawrence school board.

The amendment applies only to employees of schools and higher education institutions.

Kansas now prohibits concealed firearms in most government buildings. The bill would let the state, cities, counties and townships ban concealed guns in their buildings only if they had electronic equipment and officers at public entrances to check for weapons.

Aside from the employee policy, public institutions of higher learning would be exempt from the general expansion of concealed-carry rules for four years.

A proposal by state Rep. Emily Perry, D-Mission, would have renewed that exemption after four years, but it was voted down by the committee. Perry also tried to amend the bill to prevent concealed carry of guns in community mental health centers, but that was defeated too.

The committee did approve an amendment that would eliminate the misdemeanor charge against a concealed carry license holder who carried his or her weapon in a prohibited area if the person left the area after being asked by someone in authority.

Supporters of that amendment said it was necessary to remove criminal charges for someone who simply forgot to leave their weapon behind when entering an area where concealed-carry was not allowed.

Comments

seventeen 1 year, 4 months ago

Sorry...but it's Gray-Little.

srothschild 1 year, 4 months ago

seventeen -- thanks. it's fixed now.

derkle 1 year, 4 months ago

It's too bad the gun control nut-jobs can't understand that it's going to be concealed carry holders who will save their lives in moments of utter terror. "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away..."

UneasyRider 1 year, 4 months ago

That is pure un-adulterated BS. No CCH could or would be able to save you. I'm more afraid of them than any criminal.

DillonBarnes 1 year, 4 months ago

Statistically, that really is a silly thing to say. What absurd emotional reason do you have for holding that belief?

mom_of_three 1 year, 4 months ago

the fact that you think that cc holders can and will save lives is what scares the rest of us. In your attempts to "save" the rest of us, how many of us will you possibly injure? There are NO guarantees.

mom_of_three 1 year, 4 months ago

and not every cc holder is the same. While one of them may be able to is not guarantee that everyone one of them can.

greatgatsby 1 year, 4 months ago

Thank you for being reasonable.

50YearResident 1 year, 4 months ago

How many times has that happened in the last 5 years that CC has been in effect?

McTaz 1 year, 4 months ago

The only thing worse than one dipst shooting into a crowd is more than one dipst shooting into a crowd. Arming everyone will protect no one from a single disturbed individual bent on mass murder, and will put even more of the innocent at risk. We as a society can do much more with mental health reform and meaningful gun sales regulation. It's really not that difficult to understand.

James Minor 1 year, 4 months ago

It's the CCHs that will create more confusion and deaths. In a state of emergency what is not needed is some wannabe gun toting nut wanting to kill someone. It is hard to always trust law enforcement and now there is a roving maniac and a CC nut with disturbed ideas!!!! God save us especially the children!!!

SnakeFist 1 year, 4 months ago

Most people who think they need to carry a gun are, by definition, irrational and shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun.

greatgatsby 1 year, 4 months ago

So just to be certain of myself I looked up the definition of irrational. Deprived of reason, illogical, deprived of mental clarity. I don't understand how those who choose to carry a gun fit said description. We simply think differently and see the world differently than you.

SnakeFist 1 year, 4 months ago

"We simply think differently and see the world differently than you."

Exactly, except there's no rational basis for your view of the world, which, apparently, involves the perceived risk of being attacked at any moment. As there's no rational basis for your view of the world, you are irrational. And as you aren't, in fact, at risk of being attacked at any moment, you don't need to carry a gun.

DillonBarnes 1 year, 4 months ago

Please inform me of the moment you will be attacked. That must be some handy information to have available.

SnakeFist 1 year, 4 months ago

Please inform me if you've ever been attacked, or if you know anyone who has ever been attacked. The answer is very likely that you haven't and you don't. The fear that you live under is unfounded and irrational.

DillonBarnes 1 year, 4 months ago

I have never been attacked myself, though there have been a few incidents that I have been grateful to be carrying a firearm. They were not situations I brought on myself, one was going to a gas station, one was visiting a hardware store one evening. In both situations I was able to remove myself from the situation without any conflict. However, I acknowledge that with one or two changed variables, those situations could have turned out very differently.

And yes, I do know people who have been the victim of violent crime.

If I feared the world, I wouldn't go outside. However, I acknowledged bad things can happen (albeit rare) and I try to be prepared to handle those situations IF they ever arise.

Peacemaker452 1 year, 4 months ago

As there is no rational basis for your fear of people carrying firearms, you are by definition irrational.

It has been pointed out multiple times that there are much greater risks to your life and health than firearms. Are you irrationally afraid of swimming pools, motor vehicles and being affected by heart disease or cancer?

We all know that you are a statist who believes that the government should take care of everything, but that is just not going to happen. Get over it and quit worrying about what everyone else is doing.

SnakeFist 1 year, 4 months ago

What's it like to live in irrational fear, Peacemaker. The fear that every time you step out your door you may have to start shooting to save your life? Is it the zombies you're afraid of? Or maybe its not fear, maybe you just feel like a big man with a gun strapped on your hip? Admit it, outside of a war zone, you've never needed a gun to fight off an attack, and you don't know anyone who has ever needed a gun to fight off an attack. So get over it, and stop being afraid of something that's never going to happen.

Peacemaker452 1 year, 4 months ago

Wrong again, just like always.

I have used a firearm once in my life to ward of an attack. The guy was a fugitive who had raped and beaten a young woman before dumping her from his car. He ditched the car and tried to escape on foot. I had the unfortunate luck to meet up with him. He fled when he saw my firearm and was picked up by the cops within a half hour.

BTW, I never said that I carry routinely; you seem to be assuming that point.

What is it like to live with the irrational fear that someone else’s choice to carry a firearm is in any way affecting you? So get over it, and stop being afraid of something that someone else chooses to do that is none of your business.

JJE007 1 year, 4 months ago

No response from the fist of snakedom... Could it be that Snakefist believes that saving "just one life" is actually worth protecting yourself in that rare encounter with a psychopath? I doubt it. Saving "just one life" is only good for changing simple minds and guns are always bad...so only bad guys have guns. Right?

I think it's somewhat hilarious that some people believe that a more dangerous world is created when there are more people in their community who are willing to protect themselves from evil. It seems they believe that bullets will fly in their direction and that of their loved ones, simply because guns are carried by their law-abiding neighbors. This is totally contrary to existing data but demonstrates a greater fear of their neighbors than of criminals. Brilliant...

It seems to me that their knowledge of gun handling, training and use is so deficient that they cannot understand the realities of defense, or appreciate any necessity or inclination to protect themselves or their families, as they wait for law enforcement to arrive at the tragedy of a catastrophic crime scene. This seems like "first-world" ignorance, to me.

It is RUDE and dismissive. There is no evidence that ANY significant harm has been done by YOUR well-intentioned NEIGHBOR carrying a concealed, defensive weapon.

There IS probably evidence that you have neighbors who have been victims of crime. There IS evidence that crime will increase as our economy continues to crash in this lackadaisical village of corporation (MONEYpeople) rule.

There IS the probability that the more wealthy one is, the more guilty and fearful one feels.

There IS the probability that the more arrogant and insulated from the evil of society (beyond your preferred propaganda) that one is will affect your views in the matter.

I encourage all of you to drop the fear of your licensed, law-abiding neighbors and think about dealing with real problems.

KSManimal 1 year, 4 months ago

"State Rep. Steve Brunk, R-Wichita, said he didn't want the decision for universities left up to the Kansas Board of Regents, which opposes concealed-carry in higher education facilities. "It disallows the freedom of any particular university," Brunk said."

I wonder how Steve "local control" Brunk will vote on HB 2027; which includes the following language:

"(5) All negotiated agreements between boards of education and teachers' associations in existence as of the effective date of this act shall be void and unenforceable in all aspects relating to terms and conditions of employment,"

HB 2027 is being heard in committee this afternoon. Brunk is on the committee. Betcha Mr. "no cognitive dissonance here" Brunk supports it.

fu7il3 1 year, 4 months ago

The list of what gun advocates are afraid of could go on for pages. Or, you could just go to CNN. It won't take you long to make a list.

fu7il3 1 year, 4 months ago

Maybe you should be.

I don't have any problem with gun control. I don't have any problem with gun advocacy. I do have a problem with people who call anyone who carries a gun a "gun nut" or anyone who thinks that the slightest gun control is going to turn the United States into Nazi Germany.

Neither of you is helping, at all. You won't admit that they have a right to defend themselves from the things you pretend aren't threats, and they refuse to admit that they don't need a hundred round drum magazine to protect themselves from those threats.

Both of you are the problem.

fu7il3 1 year, 4 months ago

It's worthless to give you examples, because you will refuse to acknowledge them. As I said, that is why you are part of the problem.

If someone wants to kill you, you will be dead before the police get there. That doesn't bother you, apparently, so there is no point in listing off a bunch of examples. That's the difference between you and someone who carries. You would say violence is relatively rare in Lawrence, therefore you are safe. But violent crime rates are just a statistic. As long as you never become the statistic, it's a fine way to go through life. Good luck with that. I hope it works out for you. No one says you have to have anything to do with guns. If someone decides to hurt you, you can just hope for the best.

My question is why you do you feel the need to make other people do the same? Has an ordinary citizen carrying a legal concealed weapon ever hurt you?

fu7il3 1 year, 4 months ago

You accused me of not answering a question, yet avoided mine entirely. Give me a legitimate reason why you should be able to decide that someone else can't carry a gun? If you aren't afraid of the world around you, and aren't afraid of randomly being attacked by someone who has a gun illegally, then why are you afraid of someone legally carrying a weapon?

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 4 months ago

Besides the average every day threat of assault, robbery, rape, and murder...The following are a few additional reasons why one might want to keep a weapon on them: August 11, 1965 (Watts Riots); August 1, 1966 (TX Bell Tower); January 17, 1989 (Patrick Purdy); October 16, 1991 (George Hennard); November 1, 1991 (Gang Lu); April 29, 1992 (LA Riots); July 1, 1993 (Gian Ferri); December 7, 1993 (Colin Ferguson); March 24, 1998 (Jonesboro, AR); April 20, 1999 (Columbine, CO); July 29, 1999 (Mark Barton)...Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

You may not care if you live or die...other folks have a lot to live for and refuse to give up their right to self-defense.

JJE007 1 year, 4 months ago

Go back to your 1st world life. Don't worry about anything but your lovely home and friends. You are insulated from all evil. You are too precious to be of value. The evils of this world will never touch you. OH, and tell every poor citizen, paving your way to arrogance, that they are too foolish to be heard, and so fearful and angry (thus dangerous) that they will never be protected by the government or industries that hold them hostage.

COME NOW! Let's all call a truce and eat cake.

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 4 months ago

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't know the particulars...I'm simply giving examples of when a person might want to have a gun. Thanks!

mom_of_three 1 year, 4 months ago

I think you are making some points for gun control advocates. The "every day threat" of assault, robbery, rape and murder...I haven't felt threatened by any of those things, but only once in my life and that was years ago in high school. I dont walk around worried that something is going to happen to me, but still aware of my surroundings, especially when I get a feeling that I am not comfortable....

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 4 months ago

LOL! Only once in my life? I guess you're fine with being raped or killed once per life time? WTF? You just made MY point!

mom_of_three 1 year, 4 months ago

Hardly... I never said I was raped or afraid of being murdered...that I was only afraid once in my life,where I wanted protection (and a gun would not have helped me). All other times, I was able to handle the situation (obviously) without resulting to a gun, so i think I proved MY point.

Betty Bartholomew 1 year, 4 months ago

You really think adding guns to a riot situation is a good idea? Talk about a recipe for even more unnecessary death.

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 4 months ago

Remember the LA Riots? Many Korean stores were not burned to the ground... Guess why...

Jason Johnson 1 year, 4 months ago

I want to be able to have the chance to defend myself, my friends, and my family (and possibly passers-by) from someone else trying to deny me (or my friends or family) life or property that is rightfully ours. Yes, I do know that I could be the first one shot and/or killed, but I view my gun the same way as I do health insurance: I would rather have my gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I pray I'm never in that situation. When I was younger I was a lifeguard, and did constant training, etc, and I thank God that I never had to use those skills, but I was ready.

That's what this so-called gun nut is afraid of.

greatgatsby 1 year, 4 months ago

After reading so many articles on this web site it appears that people think that CC holders are wild west gun fighters who jump for any chance to pull their firearm. This, however, is simply not true. In my KS CC class we were told that we "need to decide who you would pull your weapon for, who you would be willing to possibly kill for, who you would be willing to go to jail for." I'm telling you, if you are not my family, my closest friends, or a child you're out of luck. If put in the situation where I could attempt to intervene and help someone, I'm still not willing to accidentally shoot an innocent bystander or even a perpetrator to save someone I don't know because the risk is so very high for me.
On a side note, I realize that that is going to sound really cold to the some people, and in my experience those are the same people who are on this site being anti gun, which is very hypocritical.

mom_of_three 1 year, 4 months ago

I think you make total sense. Just because you carry a gun, I don't expect you to "protect" me, nor do I think that you should. And I commend you for thinking that you can't protect everyone just because you carry a gun. but don't make generalizations about anti gun and hypocrits.

mom_of_three 1 year, 4 months ago

And for the record, I am not anti gun. I am for responsible gun owners and responsible gun control. But I do not own a gun nor do I ever plan to.

greatgatsby 1 year, 4 months ago

I apologize. I should not have generalized all liberals with my comment. That was ill conceived. I should say that the anti gun peoples who I have had this discussion with have indicated that I am a bad person for not trying to do everything in my power to "protect" a stranger.

mom_of_three 1 year, 4 months ago

You know and have your limits. Just because you carry a gun, it doesn't mean your responsibility is any greater to society than someone without a gun.

mom_of_three 1 year, 4 months ago

he didn't say that he carries it all times....

greatgatsby 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't believe that anyone wants to kill me, except for maybe you, you seem to have gotten you pretty heated. I just like to know that I have the ability to protect myself I need to. Also, I never said I carry a firearm at all times. I carry it rarely. I almost never carry in Lawrence. However when I am with my family in Houston I carry nearly all the time. If you were to ever have your house broken into, bullets come through your and your neighbors window, or have a man with a gun approach your car after stealing the appliances from your house then you might understand.

UneasyRider 1 year, 4 months ago

And exactly how many times have these things happened to you. Bet your honest answer would be never, but will you answer honestly?

greatgatsby 1 year, 4 months ago

I've had my house broken into in KS while I was there. I was able to scare the men off. My parents house down in Houston was broken into and the appliances were stolen. My father and a neighbor tailed them while on the phone with the police and when the thieves realized they came at them with a gun. Fortunately neither were hurt and they drove away before the man got to them. Lastly, my neighbor had bullets come through their back window while sitting there watching TV. A few feet lower and they could have been killed. I wouldn't have used the examples if I wasn't directly tied to them. You don't have to believe me but this stuff does happen.

JJE007 1 year, 4 months ago

Anyone who takes the moniker of "KansasLiberal" is an arrogant fleck...of gold in a cow patty.

Why are YOU so scared of the world around YOU? Why are you so scared of guns in the hands of your vetted, law-abiding neighbors? What makes you so special that anyone should give a flying fig about your desire to keep them from living as they see fit?

mom_of_three 1 year, 4 months ago

I have been verbally attacked by pro gun peoples who think I am crazy for not thinking I need a gun or for not carrying a gun. Then they say "well, dont come running to me when you need protection." And I won't be going to them. Its my choice not to have a gun. I have never been in a spot where I think a gun would have been needed or where I haven't been able to remove myself when i felt unsafe or uneasy. I have a baseball bat and two dogs at home and have been told that they won't help me with a burglar and a gun at 50 feet. In my house, there will never BE 50 feet between me and a burglar...its not that big!
So I know where you are coming from.

JJE007 1 year, 4 months ago

I really don't think that you should care at all about people who think you NEED a gun. Did someone really verbally attack you about that? That's crazy. The real point is that we all live in different environments and some people realize that the police CANNOT, or will not, protect them!

It could be considered cruel, rude, evil and dismissive to deny them the right to protect themselves...especially considering how few people have died from friendly fire in this country, outside of war zones.

Lane Signal 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't think that's a fair characterization of those who oppose conceal and carry. I don't think most or even a large minority of those who carry are eager to draw their weapon at the drop of a hat. I do feel that conceal and carry laws expand the number of guns in circulation. The US has the most liberal gun laws of any industrialized nation. They also have far and away the most gun violence. Conceal and carry is just another way for the gun makers to get more guns into people's hands. The more guns they put into circulation, the more opportunities for gun violence. The more gun violence, the more fear. The more fear, the more guns the gun makers can sell. Conceal and carry just makes it easier to promote guns as a solution to fear (the fear created by our culture of gun violence). Some of the people who carry guns will not use them responsibly. It just takes a couple of cowboys to ruin everyone's day.

greatgatsby 1 year, 4 months ago

How does conceal carry expand the number of guns in circulation. I do not have a gun because I have CC I decided to get a CC because I already had a gun. I don't have any more guns because of the piece of plastic in my wallet. Also, it makes no sense for people with CC's to create more violence. It's such an expensive and extensive process that inciting any sort of ruckus with your CC will result in it losing it and jail time. As a law abiding citizen I won't do anything to jeopardize losing it but if I was a criminal who does incite most of the violence I wouldn't bother/be eligible for getting a CC. In 2012, out of 10424 CC holders in KS, only 84 were suspended or revoked and of those not even half were from violent crime offenders.

Lane Signal 1 year, 4 months ago

Really? It's not obvious to you that the option to conceal and carry would inspire more people to by guns? To me that seems like an obvious conclusion. Gun sales in Kansas are at an all time high. Concealed Carry permit applications are at an all time high. People are buying guns to carry them. They are buying guns because they are afraid. I do agree with you that it makes no sense for people with CC's to create violence. My point is there are lots of people out there who can't be counted on to be sensible. I imagine this will be a small minority of those with CC, but I'd rather they not be armed. I don't have confidence that all of those 10,000 people wandering around Kansas with hidden guns are going to act responsibly.

greatgatsby 1 year, 4 months ago

Ok, that's a fair sentiment. There are countless people out there that I do not want to have a weapon either. But why should I, who I feel like has been fairly reasonable in my arguments on this site, not be allowed to exercise this freedom because of those. Are there any ways to regulate those people without imposing on the others?

verity 1 year, 4 months ago

So---are you saying you would be willing to shoot an innocent bystander for your family, closest friends or a child?

verity 1 year, 4 months ago

Question to greatgadsby's comment way up there.

greatgatsby 1 year, 4 months ago

Oh absolutely not. I would never make a shot that I couldn't say with near certainty I could make, but with a clean shot and remembering the rule that you should "Always know what's beyond your target" I would be willing to shoot a perpetrator. It's all about using common sense in those scenarios.

Hardhawk1 1 year, 4 months ago

Drones are the answer. Every school and university could have their own. Fire away at the first sign of trouble.

elliottaw 1 year, 4 months ago

As long as they let the general public know if their teachers will be carrying guns, because I will be pulling my kids out of those schools. This isn't nazi germany I don't want my kids surround by guns at all times, it only leads to more death. If guns really kept people safe then Africa would be one of the safest places in the world.

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 4 months ago

"If guns really kept people safe then Africa would be one of the safest places in the world." Perfect example of how ignorant the anti-gunner really is! If you looked at the top 20 gun owning countries in the world you will not find one from Africa and they're all relatively safe.

elliottaw 1 year, 4 months ago

A survey of academic studies by Harvard University’s Lisa Hepburn and David Hemenway concluded that high-income countries with more firearms have more homicides. Americans have the highest gun ownership in the world, with nine guns for every 10 people. The U.S. also has by far the highest level of gun violence among rich countries. In another study looking at 23 countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, Hemenway and a colleague find that U.S. homicide rates were 6.9 times higher than rates in the other high-income countries, driven by firearm

Any other NRA myths you need debunked

DillonBarnes 1 year, 4 months ago

Please provide these findings. Not a correlation study, a casual relationship study.

elliottaw 1 year, 4 months ago

So because you do not like the statistics are provided they must be false, I am sure if I found a casual relationship study you would want a different one, plain fact more guns do not make you safer, US has the highest rates of gun violence in the world

SnakeFist 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree completely. But teachers with guns isn't going to be a problem - I know a lot of teachers and almost none of them would ever consider carrying or even owning a gun. Cowboy-vigilante-types don't become teachers. So if arming teachers (and, presumably, bus drivers, playground supervisors, lunch ladies, etc.) is the gun-nuts' great plan to keep children safe, it isn't going to work.

JJE007 1 year, 4 months ago

So be it. NObody will be forced to carry. If that is not clear to you then you are being obtuse. It appears that you are being obtuse.

UneasyRider 1 year, 4 months ago

One town to avoid, a town of 1314 as of 2000 census. Located in ne Ga mountains. Fitting location for backwoods, redneck gun nuts.

voevoda 1 year, 4 months ago

I guess, rockchalk1977, you aren't in favor of individual freedom after all. Of all the ridiculous government mandates, this strikes me as the most ridiculous. It's irrational and an infringement of Constitutional liberties to order persons who do not want to own guns and cannot use them safely to own them anyway.

SnakeFist 1 year, 4 months ago

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

Or you could just keep the bad guy from getting a gun in the first place. Universal background checks would help, and the NRA lost all credibility when it argued against them (after being for them).

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 4 months ago

You really believe that a criminal is going to buy a gun legally?

JJE007 1 year, 3 months ago

Of course they will buy legally, because it's the LAW! (rolling eyes)

JJE007 1 year, 4 months ago

My fear of law abiding citizens who legally obtain the right to carry concealed should deny those people that legal right. Their fear of being at the mercy of a criminal is irrational and proves that they cannot be trusted to carry a gun.

Is that what I'm hearing?

How many people have been accidentally shot by someone carrying concealed, compared to how many have been killed or injured by criminals?

Who is irrational?

I know the answer to that. It's "Some of us are quite irrational, some of us are less irrational and many of us ride the bell curve of rationality, like a roller coaster, throughout each day."

I say we wait until the sky is actually falling before we begin shoring it up with 2x4s, but that's just me. I'm not very proactive.

ANYwho... Proceed with the promotion of your particular fears, and good luck with that.

elliottaw 1 year, 4 months ago

When is the last time you have been in a situation where you thought geee I could really use a gun right about now........yeah I'm guessing never.

JJE007 1 year, 4 months ago

You totally missed the point. Good job.

Jason Johnson 1 year, 4 months ago

That may be, and I pray I never have to take mine out.

50YearResident 1 year, 4 months ago

I've said this before and I will say it again, do you gun haters actually know who is carrying guns in Douglas County? It is your Doctor, your Lawyer, your Business Owner and probably your next door neighbor. Would you repeat these nasty gun owner remarks to their face? I think not. Gun owners are everyday people that you already know and trust. Have they killed or wounded anyone lately? No, they have not. So maybe you need to quit worrying about what "could" happen and start thinking about what is happening. The CC program has been in effect for 5 years now and none of your concerns have happened yet. Relax!

JJE007 1 year, 4 months ago

We ARE the world and we are not the ones who are NUTS! Do you have ANY proof that those who carry concealed are more dangerous than criminals? You're ridiculous.

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 4 months ago

Were the founders of this country 'paranoid' when they wrote the Bill Of Rights? Things that make you go, hmmmm....

mom_of_three 1 year, 4 months ago

And when they wrote the bill of rights, they needed guns to go hunt game, and to protect themselves from Native Americans and the British. You are comparing apples and oranges or 1791 to 2013. TOtally different situations.

JJE007 1 year, 4 months ago

I know you will think this is crazy but I don't understand how you can be so confident that there will not be a collapse of the monetary system, governmental support, your food and water supply and then your estranged neighbors' good will. It seems to me that this world, this government and this life in general is not as stable, and not as innocuous, as the first world contingent seems to believe.

I have a decent job, but it's still a hard life and I can't guarantee that anyone other than myself will be able to protect me if things go a bit wonky. If you do then bless your heart, but don't tell me that I have less of a right to my beliefs than you do. I don't believe that anything but an artificially enhanced economy and the practical will of those who own our very lives is keeping us all from (more) ruin. They WILL take everything from us. They will take our guns, food and lives. They do, now. They take us to meaningless wars. They drive us all towards ignorance and compliance. They allow us the shallow venting of our angst on public forums. OOPS! :)

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 4 months ago

And they didn't have computers or telephones either... You're fooling yourself if you think the Second Amendment is about indigenous people and hunting. What did the founders need the First Amendment for? They didn't even have telephones or computers!

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 4 months ago

"On every question of construction (of the Constitution) let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." Thomas Jefferson

SnakeFist 1 year, 4 months ago

"Have they killed or wounded anyone lately?"

There just happens to be another story in the online LJW today about a man who accidently shot his wife in a restaurant with his concealed carry gun. The gun-nuts are more of a menace than the criminals - at least I can avoid the criminals by staying out of the wrong part of town.

We're not the ones who should "quit worrying about what 'could' happen", your whole rationale for needing to carry a gun is based on an irrational fear of what "could" happen.

elliottaw 1 year, 4 months ago

there is a big difference between having a gun in your home for self defense and being so afraid that you feel you need to have a gun on you at all times, this is not a war zone people, you will be ok in the big bad world

JJE007 1 year, 4 months ago

And yet you are so terribly afraid of a legal gun owner carrying a deterrent where criminals roam...

You will be OK in the big bad world!

JJE007 1 year, 4 months ago

If you would rather have more gun carrying criminals who kill daily, with no fear that they will encounter resistance, than one gun carrying citizen who makes a horrible mistake and accidentally shoots his wife, then you are not weighing societal costs properly.

Name another incident. Name one other incident. Name two. Name three. Name more incidents of concealed carry accidents than incidents of shootings due to criminal intent. You are being dismissively foolish.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 4 months ago

I keep a loaded handgun at my office. I keep it there because some unhappy people do not like lawyers if they came out on the wrong end of a civil or criminal action. I have had contemporaries threatened by irate clients, parents on the other side of a custody action, biker drug dealers and general scum bags. I am a lawyer, I have a concealed carry license. I have had clients who are crazy and you cannot predict what they will do. Yes, I keep one at home secured away. I do not carry a weapon when out and about. I do not consume alcohol when I am carrying. I am a combat vet and have been shot at and and shot back. Shooting someone is not done lightly. It is probably why when I deer hunt, I never shoot a deer.

Our universities should be allowed to determine gun policy on campus.

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 4 months ago

Based on the amount of gun sales I think it is clear that the gun haters are in the minority and that is something they cannot accept. The fact that law abiding citizens are not crazy and irresponsible gun fanatics does not quite align with their gun hating hysteria.

I think a lot of this hysteria is politically motivated and is not helpful.

I am in favor of background checks and I think most Americans and gun owners do not have a problem with this. The way we manage this is the larger issue. We are not going to sit down and work out a practical solution as long as gun hating hysteria is dominating the conversations.

The Patriot Act is a good example of how government can be hard to control and I do not believe we have fully comprehended how much our privacy has been effected by it. In the same way, we cannot allow fear to cause us to give up our American style freedoms.

mom_of_three 1 year, 4 months ago

Gun hating hysteria? I think the "gun haters" want background checks and a practical solution, too. Its the ones labeled "pro gun nuts" who would rather give up their left arm then give up the right to own whatever weapon they want.
See, generalizations are wrong and go both ways.
I think 90% of the people in this country, pro gun, anti gun, or those who choose not to own a gun , are all for regulations and responsibility that we can all be happy with. Its the fringe that are making everything crazy

UneasyRider 1 year, 4 months ago

Sorry, but a nutcase with a gun will not stop another nutcase with a gun. Odds are the nutcases won't be in same place at same time. Actually I don't want a CCH nutcase anywhere near me if a nutcase with a gun shows up. The CCH nutcase is more apt to kill me than the bad guy.

Jason Johnson 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm not a nutcase carrying a gun, I'm a normal guy carrying a gun who doesn't want to be at the mercy of a would-be attacker. I pray it never leaves my pocket.

50YearResident 1 year, 4 months ago

So be it, no gun owner will come to your aid. You are on your own with 911 as your safety net. (They wern't going to volenteer to protect you anyway) You have always been on your own. Good Luck! Concealed Carry is for self defense, it isn't for protecting others unless they are friends or family of the CC permit holder. In that case you are not included in that group anyway.

Alyosha 1 year, 4 months ago

You keep writing "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," even though that's nothing but a fantasy.

Your comments are clearly designed to spread false information.

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 4 months ago

So, the police should give up their guns?, Alyosha? Are the police not 'good guys with guns'? Open mouth, insert foot?

nominalize 1 year, 4 months ago

Anyone miss the most ridiculous part? They exempt universities from the law to preserve the "freedom of any particular university," but ONLY FOR FOUR YEARS. After that, well, the state legislature knows best, apparently, not the institutions themselves nor the communities that use them.

In Texas they passed a similar bill, with no exemptions at all... it looks like the Kansas GOP's feeble attempt to out-Texas Texas is moving along at full speed.

oldexbeat 1 year, 4 months ago

Since a few of the message posters might want guns in every classroom, I am confused about a few points and would like to ask questions.

When we have those guns in our schools with the well trained and no doubt regulated militia of non-"union thug" teachers -- questions:

Will gun safes be in each classroom with touch pads ? Or open carry ? Will the guns be pretty colors, like those new fun toy like Ruger pink ones? If the gun falls out, will show-and-tell sessions start right away? Will cleaning the teachers' guns become the skill set of the 2nd grade ? If a teacher's gun in a classroom hurts a student -- totally by accident -- will the entire USD Board be criminally involved, or just the teacher and local principal?

Just asking.

JJE007 1 year, 4 months ago

The answers are "Yes." and "No.", as the world is a messy place.