Archive for Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Local health department receives $75,000 grant to increase access to healthy food

June 26, 2013

The Kansas Health Foundation awarded the Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department a $75,000 grant that will go toward improving access to healthy foods in the area.

The health department was one of 12 in the state to receive funding through the foundation’s Healthy Communities Initiative.

Before applying for the grant, the health department underwent a yearlong planning process to form Roadmap to a Healthier Douglas County, which pinpoints specific changes that would improve the overall health of area residents, including increased opportunity for healthy eating at work and improving food and beverage environments at local venues.

The $75,000 grant will primarily focus on these goals and will be used to develop policies that could make nutritional foods available in public areas like community buildings, recreation centers, swimming pools, libraries, health care facilities and workplaces. The grant will also go toward developing nutritional standards and guidelines for these places.

Comments

oneeye_wilbur 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Wasted money to a research firm!

Leslie Swearingen 9 months, 4 weeks ago

I can think of so many other things this money could be spent on that would be far more important to me. But, then it's not my money, is it? And, I have yet to see food at the library, in fact I thought it was prohibited. I don't go to the other places they mentioned, so, I guess I don't have a dog in this hunt, do I? Just saying.

Ben, Jerry and I are in a deeply polygamous relationship and I don't seem to be able to break it off. It's love at the most basic level.

toe 10 months ago

Just give the 75grand to the poor so they can buy food instead of feeding the well off that run these programs. Oh, the poor will not buy good food on their own? Then force them to eat their spinach.

bearded_gnome 10 months ago

---but the food served to patients at LMH already lacks flavor, avoids tasty cheeses, good spices, etc. now, it'll be more so?

appleaday 10 months ago

Ontheright-- Here's the information about this private organization: http://www.kansashealth.org/

10 months ago

ontheright - I know you're probably an older white man - but where would you like to see dollars spent? Do you think that health is important to low-income families and healthy food contributes to the whole person and can be a preventative measure that can keep our future successful? Or do you not care? And I don't know if this is tax dollars or not - but I believe that contributing to health is always a good idea in our society.

oneeye_wilbur 10 months ago

S, who funds the foundation?

xyz 10 months ago

ontheright--this is a foundation grant, it is not funded with tax dollars.

Congrats to the health department!