Advertisement

Archive for Sunday, June 23, 2013

40 years ago: Fire damages home while family is camping out

June 23, 2013

Advertisement

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for June 23, 1973:

  • A fire reported early this morning at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Larry Puckett, 1025 New Jersey, had caused an estimated $14,000 in damage. The blaze, so far of undetermined origin, had started while the Pucketts and their two small children had been camping overnight at Perry Lake.
  • Legal sales of fireworks in most parts of Kansas could begin soon, according to local ordinances. In Douglas County, sales were restricted to July 2-4 between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m.; they could not be sold in Lawrence, Eudora, or the business district of Baldwin. Fire Marshal Robert Wolfe reminded pyrotechnic fans today that except for skyrockets and night parachutes, all common fireworks (Class C) were legal in the state.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.