Archive for Saturday, June 22, 2013

25 years ago: Bid received for asbestos removal at county-owned houses

June 22, 2013


From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for June 22, 1988:

Douglas County had recently received a bid of $17,113 from Elliott Drywall & Asbestos Inc. of Kansas City to remove traces of asbestos from four county-owned houses. The structures, at 1108, 1112, 1114, and 1116 Rhode Island, were slated for demolition, but the discovery of asbestos late last month had caused the county to solicit bids for its removal prior to the razing. County commissioners this week had decided to wait to accept the asbestos-removal bid until a performance bond was secured, but they did approve a $4,400 bid from W. A. Dunbar & Son, Lawrence, for the actual razing of the houses.

In other business this week, the commissioners donated four computers to the Boys and Girls Club. The computers, which had been used by the county ambulance service, were not compatible with the current county system.

A professional printing company had been called in to finish a new guide to Lawrence historical markers. Watkins Community Museum director Steve Jansen apologized to the community for the delay in the completion of the project, which was to indicate the city's 16 historical markers and provide stories explaining their significance. The new release date for the brochure was tentatively set in time for the 125th anniversary of the 1863 Quantrill's Raid.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.