Archive for Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Former KU student sentenced to 30 days in jail, barred from social media, for attacking female student

June 18, 2013

Lawrence crime, fire, courts coverage
Have a tip?
Contact Journal-World reporter Caitlin Doornbos:

A 21-year-old former Kansas University student was sentenced Tuesday to 30 days in jail and barred from using social media for a period of 18 months after being found guilty of attacking a local female college student in January.

Alexander N. Beglinger was sentenced in Douglas County District Court, where he had pleaded guilty last month to one count of misdemeanor battery and two counts of misdemeanor criminal restraint. He had been charged in connection with a Jan. 21 incident at a Lawrence hotel.

On Tuesday, Douglas County District Judge Peggy Kittel said the battery conviction was not an ordinary one because it had involved sexual contact. Kittel said she was concerned about the possibility of the victim being bullied over Twitter or Facebook and made it a special condition of Beglinger's 18-month probation that he not use any form of social media. Beglinger was ordered to spend 30 days of "shock time" in Douglas County Jail.

Comments

patkindle 1 year, 6 months ago

pretty lame sentence, but I am sure some folks think by todays standards this is cruel and unusual punishment

Shelley Bock 1 year, 6 months ago

I wouldn't consider it "lame". Based on the pre-sentence report and details of the event, this sentence may be very appropriate. Unless you are privy to the information available to the judge, you are only speculating. I do find it interesting that there is the prohibition of social media as part of the probation. That could be the most onerous part of the sentence for a young person.

And, the comment of "by today's standards" is unwarranted

patkindle 1 year, 6 months ago

any guy that beats up a woman may be pretty cool in your book but I think he is a waste of manhood I think he should meet the same fate as the lady now that wouid be under todays standards cruel and unusual punishment

Lisa Medsker 1 year, 6 months ago

"...Judge Peggy Kittel said the battery conviction was not an ordinary one because it had involved sexual contact."

Sorry. There isn't a punishment "cruel and unusual" enough for him. I was fifteen the first time I was assaulted, and thirty years later, it STILL has an effect on my life and all of my relationships. There's no "coming back normal" from something like that.

midwestmom 1 year, 6 months ago

So.... he gets to avoid having to register as a sexual offender? That's just wrong. His crime was sexual assault - it's naive to believe that he'll never do it again. His 'apology' was more of a lament of the things he lost, barely mentioning his victim at all. He just didn't get what he did was wrong. His 'woe is me' was insensitive and out of touch with any feeling of accountability on his part.

optimist 1 year, 6 months ago

I've heard of many cases where "Romeo and Juliet" relationships have resulted in young men and women being forced to register as sex offenders, but in a case where there was violent sexual contact there is no requirement to register? What is the sense of having a registration if those that commit sexual violence aren't at least required to register for a period of time? I don't get that.

patkindle 1 year, 6 months ago

future wife beater could get a job on muzzou football team

jafs 1 year, 6 months ago

It's outrageous to me that a physical assault results in little punishment, while on another story, a bank robbery without a weapon results in much more.

If we're supposed to make the punishment "fit the crime", then violence against another human being is much worse in my book than theft.