Archive for Thursday, June 13, 2013

Cat show planned for this weekend

June 13, 2013

You may as well call this Saturday “Caturday” in Lawrence.

More than 100 cats and their owners will be traveling in from throughout the region for the Kansas City Midwest Cat Show at the Douglas County Fairgrounds, 2110 Harper St.

Twenty-three breeds will be represented and each cat will be judged within its category: kitten, adult, household or altered. The show and the judges are affiliated with the American Cat Fanciers Association, an international purebred cat registry.

The show will take place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Admission is $5 for adults, $4 for children, seniors and millitary personnel and free for children under 6.

Raffles, a silent auction, information booths and vendors selling cat supplies will be part of the event.

Comments

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 6 months ago

Can I drop off my cat? No returns, please.

gatekeeper 1 year, 6 months ago

And right across the street, hundreds of cats are desperate to find loving homes at the animal shelter. I hate these cat and dog shows and all the hype around having to have a pure bred animal. There are so many wonderful animals that need homes and people are stupid and spend hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars on a pure bred.

I used to have a Persian cat that was rescued. A breeder was practically trying to force rape to get her to breed because she was perfection. She didn't want to. The breeder had all her claws removed and would beat her. Still never got her to submit and get pregnant. They finally tossed her for dead. For every "good" breeder out there, there's a dozen bad ones that abuse and neglect the animals - they only care about the kittens and puppies they can make money on and if your cat wins at a show, they'll make more money. It took me years to get that poor cat to act like a normal cat. Just like most pure breds, she had lots of health issues.

Please don't attend these shows and don't purchase pure bred animals from breeders. Always adopt from shelters and save the lives of animals that desperately need homes. If you have it in your head that you just have to have a pure bred, then adopt from a rescue group. There's a rescue organization for almost every breed of cat and dog out there.

Lisa Medsker 1 year, 6 months ago

This made me bawl. Who beats a cat? Or anything smaller than they are, for that matter?

gatekeeper 1 year, 6 months ago

I rescue lots of animals and it's amazing how people will abuse and dump animals. I have a house full of once-neglected, dumped animals.

I live my life by a simple quote from Dr. King Jr.:

"Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way."

Lisa Medsker 1 year, 6 months ago

...And, by the way, glad she was rescued by someone who obviously loved her, being willing to put the time and energy into "rehabilitating" her! "Rescue" is the best breed, by far!

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks for the comment. It is very true and also glad that she was rescued by you.