Archive for Friday, June 7, 2013

Lawrence man charged with stealing motorist’s eyeglasses in road rage incident

June 7, 2013

Douglas County prosecutors have charged a 48-year-old Lawrence man with robbery after he allegedly attacked a fellow motorist during a road rage incident Thursday afternoon, striking the victim and stealing his eyeglasses.

The victim reported to police that he became involved in a confrontation with the driver of a white van while traveling west in the 500 block of west 19th Street about 6 p.m. Thursday, said Kim Murphree, a Lawrence Police Department spokeswoman. Angered at how close the white van was following him, the victim "made a gesture" at the other driver, Murphree said. When the vehicles were stopped, the driver of the van stepped out and approached the victim in his car.

The victim told police that the driver of the van struck him with the palm of his hand, grabbed the eyeglasses from his face, walked back to the van and drove away.

Police arrested John Brian Crawford about two hours later in the 2700 block of Louisiana Street. He was booked into Douglas County Jail, where he remained Friday as Douglas County prosecutors charged him with robbery. Bond in the case was set at $10,000, and Crawford is scheduled to appear in court again on June 13. It was not clear Friday if Crawford had yet hired an attorney.

If convicted of felony robbery, Crawford could face between 55 months and 20 years in prison, depending on his criminal history.

Comments

this_guy 10 months, 1 week ago

Ok people are quick to say what's right and wrong if you are willing to yell and scream at people when you haven't any clue how the day is going or if they just returned from WAR ...as a iraqi War Veteran we are taught to react and not to think and hand gestures can be taken as a theat sometimes .....so you just don't know.what they are willing to do when provoked

geekin_topekan 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Where in this article does it say SUNglasses? He stole the guy's eyeglasses, a prosthesis! Wouldn't that equate stealing a man's wheelchair or a blind man's cane?

purplesage 10 months, 2 weeks ago

It would be petty theft if eyeglasses didn't cost 10X what they ought to; they ought to arrest the optometrist or optician every time they gouge somebody for $500 for what shout only cost $50.

Steve Jacob 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Probation is all he will get...if record is clean.

HoneyBadger1 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I got to admit that I cheered when he assaulted Steve Stiponovich during the Kansas-Missouri basketball game a few years ago.. They didn't arrest him then...I think he got a techenical foul though and Ted Owens sat him down for a spell.....

bearded_gnome 10 months, 2 weeks ago

maybe use of force isn't appropriate for preventing a robbery?

what?

and, it isn't appropriate for preventing an assault?

at the point when perp reaches into your car, how do you know just what his intent is at that point?

you have no way of knowing that all he wants to do is lift your eyeglasses! for all you know he may have intensions on snapping your neck like a chicken!

I'm glad for the harsh charging, and don't just blame the PD, for a change the DA is not so weak.

if this dude is walking around with this kinda explosive anger problem, who knows what would've been the next event.

redneck 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Jean Robart 10 months, 2 weeks ago

More importantly---did the victim get his glasses back? Did he get stopped again--this time by a cop, and ticketed for not wearing them? And are they being held as evidence?

Thinking_Out_Loud 10 months, 2 weeks ago

neworleans, please tell me that you wouldn't kill a person who was stealing your eyeglasses. The use of lethal force does not strike me as a reasonable to the attempted theft of eyewear, even if they are particularly expensive.

neworleans 10 months, 2 weeks ago

SofaKing 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Lawrence police are a little overzealous in my opinion. Jail? Really?

Liberty275 10 months, 2 weeks ago

"the victim "made a gesture" at the other driver"

Silver lining - he probably learned his lesson. You never know who is in the other car and if they are unstable enough to fight over sucjh a petty matter.

As for putting someone in jail for stealing sunglasses and slapping someone with an open hand, put me on that jury. Anything over 6 months of probation and there will be a mistrial.

oskiegirl 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Why didn't the victim just drive off, instead of waiting for the guy to confront him? That would have been to easy right. Did he really think he was walking up to his car to play nice?

toe 10 months, 2 weeks ago

A good reason to never drive without a weapon.

Tanked 10 months, 2 weeks ago

You got to love Kansas. 10,000 fine. 55 months to 20 years for A slap and removal of sunglasses. A 325 lb sex afender, murder of a nine year old boy is about to walk. Is there not enough bullets to go round? Sunglasses are a irreplaceable object I suppose. May God have mercy on us all. I am actively looking for another planet to live on.

gccs14r 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Windows up, doors locked. It's much more difficult for a perp to jack you that way.

Kat Christian 10 months, 2 weeks ago

This is just crazy...what is wrong with people? For one thing people need to be accentuated way when they get their driver's license that Driving is a Privilegde not a Right. Also if a person commite road rage once they should have only a conditional license, but if they commit it again then their license should be revoked for a year and if they do a road rage again their license should be revoked forever. I just believe in 3 strikes and you're OUT concept. However, I grew up on the East Coast and they drive fast and crazy, but since I've moved out here I have actually learned to slow it down and enjoy my driving, only sometimes I get the tail gater which only makes me slow down a bit so if an when they plow into me I'm not going as fast so I don't hit someone else, but at the same time encourage them to slow down too. Yes I"ve had a few finger gestures pointed at me, but I just laugh at the ignorance of it all. Obviously people who do this have very little brains to think of a more intelligent way of dealing with traffic frustration which isn't always the other person at fault. Remember driving is a priviledge NOT A RIGHT so respect it, use it respectually and leave in time to get you where you need to go so you don't become stressed out and want to blame the other person.

rockchalker52 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Further evidence that tailgaters are horrible, horrible people.

William Enick 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Bet he was going 10 miles under speed limit...

Steve Swaggerty 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Let me get this straight. The "victim" starts the incident, the perp stole his glasses and drove off? Seriously?

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I wonder if this was the same guy who, about a year ago, got out of his car, approached the car in front of him, took the driver's hat off and slapped her with it? I can't find the link to the article but would love to see if it is him.

Clickker 10 months, 2 weeks ago

John needs to keep it on the Basketball court, and out of the criminal courts!

PhilChiles 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Suspect was described as a blurry male, somewhere between 5 and 7 feet tall; possibly Caucasian, or Asian, or Latino.

Tammy Copp-Barta 10 months, 2 weeks ago

why didn't he get assault as well?

Thom 10 months, 2 weeks ago

And a former KU law student gets 4 months for manslaughter? What the hell is wrong with our legal system?

Thinking_Out_Loud 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Stole his glasses...? That is...bizarre....