Archive for Thursday, June 6, 2013

Man convicted of killing Lawrence boy in 1988 up for parole this month

June 6, 2013

John William

John William

A 52-year-old man convicted of murdering a child in Lawrence more than two decades ago could be paroled next month, according to the Kansas Department of Corrections.

John William was a 29-year-old with no fixed address when he was convicted in the July 1988 killing and mutilation of a 9-year-old Lawrence boy. Richard Settlemyre's body was found along the Kansas River two days after he was last seen fishing with William. His head, hands and feet were severed from the body, and other wounds were discovered on the body.

William was convicted of first-degree murder on Nov. 17, 1989, after a weeklong trial. He was sentenced to life imprisonment.

Since then, the 6-foot-9, 325-pound William has been in Kansas prisons and Larned State Hospital. After a parole hearing at El Dorado prison next Tuesday and Wednesday, William could be released at the beginning of July.

Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson has said his office will oppose William's release.

Comments

toe 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I hope they bring Mike back to testify against this evil person.

Liberty275 10 months, 2 weeks ago

The man committed a horrid crime and should never be given parole. He needs to die in prison.

I know it's easy to say he should get the death penalty, we should get a rope or we should banish him, but the first two should be unconstitutional as cruel and unusual punishment and the third is plainly unconstitutional as there is no means for denying a citizen of that status.

Killing the boy was horrible and the man needs to be punished to the full extent of law, but execution is not the answer.

KansasPerson 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Ian, do you know if the parole board is holding public comment sessions as they did at his parole hearing in 2003?

juma 10 months, 2 weeks ago

eugunieum 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Tammy Copp-Barta 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I remember this case as well and pray this man is not released. I can only imagine what his family must be going through with this coming up AND the law enforcement officers that worked the case. I understand many of them had a really hard time with this one - as can be expected. Mr. Williams - you need to rot in hell ...

Curveball 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Latham and York were the last executed in Kansas on June 22, 1965. Hickock and Smith were hanged about 2 months earlier.

James Minor 10 months, 2 weeks ago

How about Komodo Island? Let the convict try and cut off the head and legs of one of those dragons!

Deb Engstrom 10 months, 2 weeks ago

He probably won't get out from his first parole hearing and could get passed for up to 5 years. When he does get, he will probably have gradual release to a half-way house or work-release center first. I'm sure he'll have some pretty close supervision.

Clark Coan 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I remember that case and remember seeing the guy walking regularly in the downtown area. He cut the boy up into little pieces because the boy refused to have sex with him. We need to buy some islands in the Pacific and put people like him on it and leave them there for life.

akt2 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I read on Wikipedia that Kansas hasn't executed anyone since 1976. 1st degree murder with aggravating factors is the only crime punishable by death, and lethal injection is the only method. If murdering and dismembering children doesn't warrant execution I don't know what would.

ontheright 10 months, 2 weeks ago

It's a waste of money to allow someone like this to remain in the system!

Tanked 10 months, 2 weeks ago

He killed a defenseless 9 year old boy. You mean you can be cured of that? {Larned Hospital} He will disappear into the homeless society and will be right back where he started. No wonder everyone wants to carry a gun. 325 lbs coming at you requires some potent fire power. Do they make holsters for AK-47's?

lawrenceloser 10 months, 2 weeks ago

someguy 10 months, 2 weeks ago

At least he got locked up for a while. If his trial had occurred under Branson's watch he would have pleaded down to misdemeanor assault.

RubyVrooom 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I have a 9 year old son myself so this is making me feel a bit sick. More details in the story linked below, looks like he was involved in the death of another child too: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2003/may...

Maracas 10 months, 2 weeks ago

So 23 years in prison is just the right amount of time to consider releasing someone for the horrible and brutal murder of a child? And he spent part of that time in Larned State Security Hospital? And it's a good idea to consider releasing him back into society? I hope, if this happens, that he doesn't come to Lawrence. And I hope no one else gets killed or otherwise harmed.

irvan moore 10 months, 2 weeks ago

good for branson, I remember when this happened, it was a horrible crime

Newell_Post 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm sorry, but this is what capital punishment was intended for. And don't give me that baloney about how expensive it is. Properly administered, this guy would have been edited out of the gene pool 19 years ago.

consumer1 10 months, 2 weeks ago

My sympathies to the child's family. I am sure this is a very hurtful time. Hopefully he will not be released.