Archive for Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Liberal group to hold mock funeral for Kansas to protest Brownback’s tax measures

June 5, 2013

A mock wake and funeral for the state of Kansas will be held Saturday in Lawrence to protest Gov. Sam Brownback's tax policies.

The event, coordinated by the liberal group MoveOn.org, will start with a memorial service officiated by the Rev. Josh Longbottom at 3 p.m. on the front steps of Plymouth Congregational Church, 925 Vermont St.

At 4 p.m. there will be a Kansas coffin funeral procession from the church to South Park at 12th and Massachusetts streets.

The public is invited to attend and urged to bring signs and written condolences for the death of Kansas and to wear black.

Al Frisbee, Johnson County organizer for MoveOn.org, said the event is being held to show opposition to Brownback's tax policies.

"He's giving away taxes for LLCs and S-corps and made a big old hole," Frisbee said. "We are an experiment, a bunch of rats."

Last year, Brownback signed into law cuts in state income tax rates and the elimination of state income taxes for the owners of partnerships, S corporations and limited liability companies. Brownback has said the cuts will spur the economy.

The cuts also projected revenue shortfalls for years to come. This year, Brownback and conservative Republicans pushed through a $777 million tax increase that will boost the state sales tax and reduce itemized and standard deductions, while continuing to phase down income tax rates.

Frisbee said he wants the tax cuts from last year repealed. He said the cuts increased the tax burden on low-income and middle-income Kansans while robbing needed funds for education and social services.

Comments

Mike Ford 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I remember a time where churches encouraged people to be concerned about their fellow man and society as a whole. A time where people didn't retreat into God talk and abject selfishness and lunacy. A time of theology and civil rights for all. And the call to stand up against ignorance, selfishness, and bullying. I remember a time where churches took the stand against bad policy that hurt the weakest segment of the population. A time where the good of society was shown. We need this time again. We need the end of mindless evangelicalism and made up issues that pander to the lowest common denominator and the end of Phill Kline wannabes doing their political bit from the pulpit talking about made up strawmen to fall in line with the faux network types. Good on a church taking a stance against heartlessness and greed. I'm a grown PK so I've witnessed what I'm talking about.

Timothy Eugene 10 months, 2 weeks ago

This whole stunt is "dead on arrival." What will you have, 12 people there?

bad_dog 10 months, 2 weeks ago

"Mock funeral" = dress rehearsal.

Armstrong 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Can't wait to see the pics of the wake. Death of freebies

cheeseburger 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I think it is in poor taste for the group to use a coffin in their demonstration.

rtwngr 10 months, 2 weeks ago

p>MoveOn.org. I wonder how quick it took them to get their 501c4, tax exempt status? I'm with EveryMan, MoveOn.org should do exactly that.

ICUNVME 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Apparently no one has been paying rhem any attention lately.

reality_check79 10 months, 2 weeks ago

How cute... All 12 of them go to a coffee shop and discuss world peace afterwards??

Joe Hyde 10 months, 2 weeks ago

What will be interesting to see come November, 2014 is whether Kansas voters conduct not a mock funeral but an actual political one where a whole body of political thought ("conservative" Republicanism) gets cast away in favor of a return to more traditional Republican values and methods.

19 months to go. Buckle up for safety, amigos.

EveryMan 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Pathetic. MoveOn should take their own advice...

Brock Masters 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I was against the tax package passed by the legislature but after reading that moveon is against it I might have to rethink my position.

roggy 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I am shocked that a pastor from that church would actually bring his church into a political mudslinging event like this. I'm not even a Brownback fan but I would leave that church immediately if I belonged there. Maybe all of it's members are left leaning and support this kind of thing. I go to church for very different reasons.

Liberty275 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I wonder if the Phelps people will make it over to protest the Kansas funeral. You know who will get the blame from westboro. I have to work to pay bills and taxes on Saturday, so Ill miss it.

BigDog 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I am sure the IRS will be watching to see that there is no political activity at the church ..... oh wait what was I thinking ..... no problem there, carry on

toe 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Our old state needed to die.

MarchSadness 10 months, 2 weeks ago

It's amazing how this guy became governor. Solely on name recognition alone and being a republican. Brownback brought Washington politics to our state. His campaign was heavily funded by his DC counterparts on the far right. Now he is cutting taxes for the rich, taking money from our schools, allowing guns in state buildings, making abortions for women impossible, just to name a few.

Come reelection time, all of these low income families who will pay the price for his policies will happily vote for this man simply because he is a republican and attends prayer rallies in Texas with his buddy Rick Perry. Do your research Kansans! This guy is killing our state one policy at at time. Good for this group trying to get the message across.

JBsJAYHAWKS 10 months, 2 weeks ago

We are sooooo screwed!! Wow we (the state of kansas) just continue to prove

Forest Gump's theory is correct "Stupid is, as Stupid does!"

I love my Jayhawks, but I've got to find a way out of this "Johnny-on-the-Job!"

rockchalker52 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Did Bruce Weber put them up to this?