Archive for Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Liberal group to hold mock funeral for Kansas to protest Brownback’s tax measures

June 5, 2013

A mock wake and funeral for the state of Kansas will be held Saturday in Lawrence to protest Gov. Sam Brownback's tax policies.

The event, coordinated by the liberal group MoveOn.org, will start with a memorial service officiated by the Rev. Josh Longbottom at 3 p.m. on the front steps of Plymouth Congregational Church, 925 Vermont St.

At 4 p.m. there will be a Kansas coffin funeral procession from the church to South Park at 12th and Massachusetts streets.

The public is invited to attend and urged to bring signs and written condolences for the death of Kansas and to wear black.

Al Frisbee, Johnson County organizer for MoveOn.org, said the event is being held to show opposition to Brownback's tax policies.

"He's giving away taxes for LLCs and S-corps and made a big old hole," Frisbee said. "We are an experiment, a bunch of rats."

Last year, Brownback signed into law cuts in state income tax rates and the elimination of state income taxes for the owners of partnerships, S corporations and limited liability companies. Brownback has said the cuts will spur the economy.

The cuts also projected revenue shortfalls for years to come. This year, Brownback and conservative Republicans pushed through a $777 million tax increase that will boost the state sales tax and reduce itemized and standard deductions, while continuing to phase down income tax rates.

Frisbee said he wants the tax cuts from last year repealed. He said the cuts increased the tax burden on low-income and middle-income Kansans while robbing needed funds for education and social services.

Comments

rockchalker52 1 year, 3 months ago

Did Bruce Weber put them up to this?

JBsJAYHAWKS 1 year, 3 months ago

We are sooooo screwed!! Wow we (the state of kansas) just continue to prove

Forest Gump's theory is correct "Stupid is, as Stupid does!"

I love my Jayhawks, but I've got to find a way out of this "Johnny-on-the-Job!"

MarchSadness 1 year, 3 months ago

It's amazing how this guy became governor. Solely on name recognition alone and being a republican. Brownback brought Washington politics to our state. His campaign was heavily funded by his DC counterparts on the far right. Now he is cutting taxes for the rich, taking money from our schools, allowing guns in state buildings, making abortions for women impossible, just to name a few.

Come reelection time, all of these low income families who will pay the price for his policies will happily vote for this man simply because he is a republican and attends prayer rallies in Texas with his buddy Rick Perry. Do your research Kansans! This guy is killing our state one policy at at time. Good for this group trying to get the message across.

gatekeeper 1 year, 3 months ago

Then you need to move to a country when religious law is accepted and freedom isn't an option. This is the USA and my family members didn't fight overseas to restrict our freedoms. People like you make military families ill.

gatekeeper 1 year, 3 months ago

I would think someone that calls themselves "don't tread on me" might understand what that means. You brought up religion when you brought up abortion. The beliefs on when life begins is based on relgious beliefs. the church I was brought up never preached that sperm were sacred and that life began at conception. Many churches teach life begins at birth.

Reread your post, you brought religion into it.

I don't prop myself up on the backs of our servicemen. I support them all and have many in my family that have fought for all of us (one just recently got back, injured, from Aghanistan). Again, you bringing up abortion brought up the issue of freedom and you support restricting women's freedom to control their own bodies. My family members didn't give themselves for this country for people like you and our current gov to restrict anyone's rights. That's what they do in countries who's laws are dictated by religion.

Shelley Bock 1 year, 3 months ago

That's a very strong statement, toe. You appear to be an anarchist wanting "death to all government" or something like that. Interesting.

gatekeeper 1 year, 3 months ago

The wonderful, progressive state of KS that once led the nation? The Free State? The state that gave women rights before others did. The state that sued and kicked out the KKK, while other states were allowing them to kill and intimidate others? The state that used to focus on small family farms and fought against corporations? The state that helped integrate the nation?

Yep, what a terrible place Kansas used to be.

People like you are what's the matter with Kansas.

BigDog 1 year, 3 months ago

I am sure the IRS will be watching to see that there is no political activity at the church ..... oh wait what was I thinking ..... no problem there, carry on

deec 1 year, 3 months ago

Are you referring to pulpit freedom Sunday wherein conservative churches intentionally preach political sermons hoping to be flagged by the IRS?

Liberty275 1 year, 3 months ago

I wonder if the Phelps people will make it over to protest the Kansas funeral. You know who will get the blame from westboro. I have to work to pay bills and taxes on Saturday, so Ill miss it.

roggy 1 year, 3 months ago

I am shocked that a pastor from that church would actually bring his church into a political mudslinging event like this. I'm not even a Brownback fan but I would leave that church immediately if I belonged there. Maybe all of it's members are left leaning and support this kind of thing. I go to church for very different reasons.

deec 1 year, 3 months ago

Are you also opposed to Pulpit freedom Sunday?

roggy 1 year, 3 months ago

I am for separation of church and state. I wouldn't go to a church where they told me how to vote either.

Catalano 1 year, 3 months ago

Oh for crying out loud. It's not INSIDE the church. It's a rally outside. Did you have the same problem when Plymouth hosted a community-wide event to save our SRS office?

roggy 1 year, 3 months ago

Are you kidding me? He is a pastor from that church. On the steps of another building would have been no big deal but he brought the church into the fray by having it on the steps of the church where he is a pastor.

gatekeeper 1 year, 3 months ago

If Kobach and other Tea Party, Right wing nut jobs can go preach in churches on Sundays, then this minister is allowed to lead a protest about state policies that he know will negatively impact his parishioners.

Funny how it's ok for those on the other side to use a church to push their agenda, but heaven forbid that an actual man of God lead a protest against bad policies that he thinks will harm many.

roggy 1 year, 3 months ago

What would you think if one of the associate pastor's at the church across the street held a Tea Party rally on the steps? Would you find that offensive?

Catalano 1 year, 3 months ago

I'd find it pretty funny since those churches are fairly liberal.

Catalano 1 year, 3 months ago

And a very fine pastor, I might add. Now please answer my question about the meeting at Plymouth about saving our SRS. That meeting was INSIDE the church.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 3 months ago

I was against the tax package passed by the legislature but after reading that moveon is against it I might have to rethink my position.

EveryMan 1 year, 3 months ago

Pathetic. MoveOn should take their own advice...

Joe Hyde 1 year, 3 months ago

What will be interesting to see come November, 2014 is whether Kansas voters conduct not a mock funeral but an actual political one where a whole body of political thought ("conservative" Republicanism) gets cast away in favor of a return to more traditional Republican values and methods.

19 months to go. Buckle up for safety, amigos.

Anthony Mall 1 year, 3 months ago

How cute... All 12 of them go to a coffee shop and discuss world peace afterwards??

ICUNVME 1 year, 3 months ago

Apparently no one has been paying rhem any attention lately.

rtwngr 1 year, 3 months ago

p>MoveOn.org. I wonder how quick it took them to get their 501c4, tax exempt status? I'm with EveryMan, MoveOn.org should do exactly that.

Armstrong 1 year, 3 months ago

Can't wait to see the pics of the wake. Death of freebies

bad_dog 1 year, 3 months ago

"Mock funeral" = dress rehearsal.

Mike Ford 1 year, 3 months ago

I remember a time where churches encouraged people to be concerned about their fellow man and society as a whole. A time where people didn't retreat into God talk and abject selfishness and lunacy. A time of theology and civil rights for all. And the call to stand up against ignorance, selfishness, and bullying. I remember a time where churches took the stand against bad policy that hurt the weakest segment of the population. A time where the good of society was shown. We need this time again. We need the end of mindless evangelicalism and made up issues that pander to the lowest common denominator and the end of Phill Kline wannabes doing their political bit from the pulpit talking about made up strawmen to fall in line with the faux network types. Good on a church taking a stance against heartlessness and greed. I'm a grown PK so I've witnessed what I'm talking about.