Advertisement

Archive for Wednesday, June 5, 2013

40 years ago: Boys’ Club to open after fundraising drive

June 5, 2013

Advertisement

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for June 5, 1973:

  • The first phase of a fundraising drive for the Lawrence Boys' Club got started this week. The club was trying to raise $21,000 for first-year operating expenses. Vice president Bob Lee said that the funds would pay the salary for a trained professional director, buy equipment, and pay other bills. The club had so far raised $6,000 and had been granted $2,500 in revenue-sharing funds by the Douglas County Commission. The location for the club was then on the third floor above the Duckwall store at 10th and Massachusetts; it was planned to be open to all boys in Douglas County between the ages of 7 and 17 but could not begin operating until the money had been raised. The purpose of the club, Lee said, would be to prevent juvenile delinquency.
  • The new disaster siren warning system in Lawrence passed its first test today with flying colors. George Williams, the city's public works director, said that all 10 of the sirens had worked according to schedule during the noon test.
  • Tape players, tape recorders, a stereo turntable, and some small hand tools had been reported stolen over a recent weekend from Centron Corporation, 1621 W. Ninth. A window had been broken to gain access to the building.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.