Archive for Saturday, June 1, 2013

Over 100 animals find homes during free adoption day

June 1, 2013

Lines extended down the sidewalk in front of the Lawrence Humane Society on Saturday morning with people waiting to take part in the free adoption day, when a total of 104 cats and dogs found new homes.

Eight-year-old Lottie Keating pets Tad, a mixed-breed dog, during a meet and greet before adopting him on Saturday at the Lawrence Douglas County Humane Society, 1805 E. 19th St.

A spillover parking area was set up across the street in a grass lot, and long lines continued later that afternoon as people waited to check out and adopt their new pets.

Coty Stoneking, along with his girlfriend Jordin Burford, stood outside of the entrance as much of the crowd dispersed. They were waiting for Stoneking’s new cat, Amigo, a 14-pound longhaired tortoiseshell, to be brought to them by a humane society volunteer.

Stoneking said he was not considering getting a new cat until he heard about the Lawrence Humane Society waiving its adoption fees for the day. These fees can range anywhere from the $10 Thursday special for cats to $500 for some puppies.

“I honestly didn’t think I was going to come here and adopt,” Stoneking said. “But I decided it was something good to do.”

Dori Villalon, executive director of the Lawrence Humane Society, said she decided to waive fees for the day to kick off the shelter’s participation in the ASPCA Rachel Ray $100k Challenge, a competition between 50 animal shelters nationwide. The competition ends Aug. 31, and it encourages shelters to break personal records with the number of dogs and cats adopted.

Last summer, the Lawrence shelter adopted out 859 animals. The goal for this summer is 1,500: a number Villalon said would be a true challenge.

“My feeling is that we have this shelter, we have great staff, we have great operations — let’s move as many animals as we can through here,” she said. “We know how to run a shelter, so we want to save these animals that might be facing euthanasia in other shelters in Kansas.”

In order to reach the goal, Villalon said, the shelter plans to host microchip clinics to more easily reunite lost animals with their homes. Villalon is also planning to transfer dogs to the Denver area, where three shelters are requesting them. And, because the free adoption day exceeded her expectations with more than 100 animals leaving the shelter, she would like to waive fees again before the summer is over.

“It’s been phenomenal,” she said. “On a regular Saturday, we usually have 20 adoptions.”

It was also a good day for all of the people, like Stoneking, who received new pets. As Stoneking and Burford waited to take their new pet home, they chatted about how well they thought the old animals would get along with the new cat, whom they chose because he was large, fluffy and liked being petted.

“I have two dogs and one cat: Hooch, Jacks and Dottie,” Stoneking said.

“And now Amigo,” Burford added.

Comments

bearded_gnome 1 year, 6 months ago

great attitude for the shelter director!

thanks.

Dogs give so much and ask so little from us. I am delighted to read this article.

delighted knowing that so many dogs got loving homes today! keep walking and loving them dogs!

CrystalKU 1 year, 6 months ago

This is so exciting! I am so happy that 104 animals found new homes!

Kat Christian 1 year, 6 months ago

I love this Animal Shelter. I am so thrilled about hearing this...just wish I had known about it yesterday I would have been there. I hope they win the challenge. Just wish other shelters would take the same lead and not kill off every animal that comes into their shelter but work better towards adopting them out. I know there is a shelter in Maryland on D'Arcy Road that has been there forever and they are huge on killing strays. Sad, very sad. Anyway, I was so excited about this program I called my friend animal lover in MD and told her about it. She takes in or feeds outdoors every stray animal that comes into her yard. Even possums. LOL

Beth Bird 1 year, 6 months ago

I wish I would have known! We are looking to add a cat to our family....

kernal 1 year, 6 months ago

This is not the only shelter in the area with cats. There are two in Topeka and several in the KC area.

LadyJ 1 year, 6 months ago

They have $10 adoptions on Thursdays.

miniflavors 1 year, 6 months ago

Happypill---They will be having more FREE ADOPTION DAYS, one in July and one in Aug. Just keep your eyes on the LJW... :) ..

parrothead8 1 year, 6 months ago

They also have a Facebook page where they announce events like this.

gatekeeper 1 year, 6 months ago

I rescue animals and have two beautiful little grey boys that I rescued from the streets. They need to stay together. they're about 8 months old. Message me if interested. I love them, but have to many of my own.

Liberty275 1 year, 6 months ago

Good for the animals, and thanks to the humans.

Enlightenment 1 year, 6 months ago

I question whether a free adoption is always in the best interest of the animal being adopted. If adoption fee as little as $10 is preventing people from adopting, is the animal going to receive the necessary care it needs, because normal expenses of an animal goes way beyond the adoption fee. I would not want to deny a homeless animal the chance for adoption, but it is important that these animals go into acceptable homes and if adoption fees was the deciding factor as to whether or not to adopt, chances are pretty high that people adopting only free animals may not be providing the best care.

Kate Rogge 1 year, 6 months ago

Dori Villalon has been doing a great job as the LHS director by focusing on the health of the animals in her care and on increasing the rate of adoptions for the agency. Good for the LHS and good for Lawrence.