Archive for Wednesday, July 31, 2013

40 years ago: Flamingo case referred to state ABC office

July 31, 2013


From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for July 31, 1973:

  • Three Lawrence persons were released today after having been arrested on the previous Sunday on charges of operating an open saloon. The three were employees of the Flamingo Club, referred to as "a private club located outside the city limits" at 501 N. Ninth. They had been arrested by agents of the Kansas Attorney General's office but were released by Douglas County Attorney David Berkowitz without local prosecution. Berkowitz said that he would be referring the case to the Kansas Alcoholic Beverage Control office for action. The Flamingo had a 3.2 beer license issued by the state as well as a license as a private club, which permitted mixed drinks to be sold there.
  • A steam whistle had gotten stuck on the "open" setting from three to five minutes at 1 p.m. today at the Kansas Fibreboard Inc. plant at Sixth and New Hampshire. Plant officials said that the normal duration for the whistle was 15 to 30 seconds. In an unrelated incident, two men who worked at the plant had been admitted to Lawrence Memorial Hospital after suffering injuries in an accident earlier today at the plant. The men, who worked for an Ohio firm contracted by Kansas Fibreboard to install a new paper processing machine, had been injured when a small mobile crane had knocked over a large metal frame, which then struck one man and pinned the other to the floor for about a minute.
  • A disturbance at the U.S. Penitentiary in Leavenworth had erupted this morning. Warden Loren Daggett said that one prison guard had been killed and that inmates were holding one to four other persons as hostages. Daggett said he believed that the disturbance was in response to the previous week's major riot at the Oklahoma State Prison in McAlester, Okla.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.