Business

Business

KU Credit Union changes name to Truity Credit Union

July 28, 2013

KU Credit Union announced today that it will rename itself Truity Credit Union.

President and CEO Kelly Diven said the new name “Truity,” a combination of “trust” and “integrity,” will appeal to a broader audience and position the credit union for future growth.

“We are proud of our rich tradition and history with the University of Kansas,” Diven said. “However, Truity Credit Union will help convey that we serve not only this employee group, but others as well.”

The credit union said the change is in name only and it has not been bought or acquired by an outside company.

Comments

Steve Jacob 1 year, 4 months ago

You don't drop the KU for no reason. They will be bought out, merged, or expanding by the end of the year.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 4 months ago

I have an account at Truity, and when I opened my account several months ago I was told that the name would shortly be changed, but they didn't know what the new name would be for 66 Federal Credit Union. That merger happened in 1990. Only the branches here in Lawrence kept the name K.U. Federal Credit Union.

Truity has branch and ATM locations in Lawrence, KS, Bartlesville, OK, Houston, TX, and Springdale, AR, and more than 62,000 members.

The name was changed so that all of the 66 Federal Credit Union branches would have the same name, and because it is a credit union that serves the entire community. With the old name that was used only locally, it sounded as though it was only for persons associated with the University of Kansas, or the employees of a listed group of companies. But, for quite some time now, the only requirement is that you be a resident of Lawrence.

supportive 1 year, 4 months ago

Credit Unions are owned by their members, therefore they cannot be "bought" out. They simply changed their name.

Kirk Larson 1 year, 4 months ago

I have an account there and got a letter informing me of the name change. Sounds a bit like "truthiness".

oakfarm 1 year, 4 months ago

Why not put together "stupendous" and "integrity". Even that could not be a more brand aware-less name than "Truity." Sounds like my old girlfriend's last name and I will speak nothing ill of her truthfulness or integrity.

Brian Rumsey 1 year, 4 months ago

Several years ago, the University of Iowa Community Credit Union decided to change its name to a similar, made-up, modern-sounding word ("Optiva"). After an uprising from credit union members who liked their credit union to reflect the community they live in, the name change was scrapped, and it remains UICCU to this day.

DanR 1 year, 4 months ago

Truity fruity. I doubt this name change is going to increase membership. Part of the appeal of a credit union is the community connection, and a contrived word doesn't represent anything local at all.

On the other hand, I was a tad surprised and disappointed to learn when opening my account at KUCU that it was actually headquartered in Oklahoma... and my money was mixed in with that of OU Sooner and Arkansas Razorback fans.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 4 months ago

---got that same letter some weeks ago. "truity" is a truly/truity silly name! did they just input some words into a PC and wait to see what it belched forth? that's how they got "Truity?"

I understand the need to have all the KUCU/66federal unions to go under one name. but butchering the English language is not how to do it.

I have had my account(s) with KUCU for decades and been very happy with their integrity, caring staff members.

putting up a plastic-banana name on it actually insults us members and those good staffers IMHO.