From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for July 26, 1913:
- "Ever witness an old time fiddlers' contest? It is one of the most peppery events that is produced at a country picnic and in view of the fact that 'Ye Old Time Fiddler' is rapidly passing on it is becoming more and more of rarity and opportunities for the younger generation to enjoy the sport of their fathers is growing scarce. However, there are still present several of those of the old time school, old fashioned fiddlers who were much in demand at country dances in ye good old times, before the fiddle was ostracized from the dance hall. The Grant Township C.P.A. in seeking for a feature attraction for its big picnic to be held at Woodland Park on August 6th, recalled the old fashioned musician and the merriment created by him and gave him a place on the program for the day. It is to be an old time fiddlers' contest, and there are some real fiddlers in Douglas county yet. The Valley Grove neighborhood is said to be rich in talented fiddlers, men who can play as of old; this neighborhood has issued a challenge to all comers and will be open to engagements all day at the picnic. Bert Irwin, a fiddler of much renown, will be there with his old instrument and is out for another prize having been winner for the last two years at the Grant picnic, before it was made a county affair as it is to be this season."
- "In spite of intense heat and blinding sunshine, a crowd of some three hundred gathered to witness the laying of the cornerstone of the new United Brethren church at the corner of Vermont and Ontario [17th] streets yesterday afternoon. Owing to the illness of Bishop Weekley, Bishop Kephart of Dayton, Ohio, conducted the services.... Following Bishop Kephart's address a collection was taken, the proceeds to go toward the building of the church. About $700 was collected in cash and subscriptions."
- "A residence belonging to W. Hughes and occupied by Miss Stimpsen, at 911 East Hancock [12th] street, was completely destroyed by fire yesterday evening shortly after 5 o'clock. A defective flue caused the fire. The building was all aflame before the fire was discovered and the firemen arrived too late to do very much. Volunteers saved considerable of the furniture. The loss to the property is estimated at $450 and that to the contents at $100. There was no insurance."