Archive for Sunday, July 21, 2013

One person killed in accident on South Lawrence Trafficway

July 21, 2013, 9:40 p.m. Updated July 21, 2013, 11:24 p.m.

One person is dead after an accident on the South Lawrence Trafficway in which a car struck a person on Sunday evening.

The accident happened after 8 p.m. near the stoplight on the trafficway at 27th Street. A helicopter ambulance had been called to the accident but the person was declared dead about 8:30 p.m. and the helicopter flight canceled.

The South Lawrence Trafficway was closed between Kasold Drive and the Clinton Parkway exit near the Clinton Lake dam, and traffic was detoured.

The Kansas Highway Patrol is investigating the accident.

Comments

DerekDanahy 1 year, 9 months ago

This happened right after I had crossed that intersection. Donloux's picture is very good at showing that even though this is said to have happened at "night" there was plenty of visibility and daylight at the time of the accident.

Kris Adair 1 year, 9 months ago

I live right there and did not notice. My children and I take this path to the Arboretum several times a week. I do hope with the continuation of SLT we can try to be safe.

smileyface40 1 year, 9 months ago

Saw this accident and it didnt appear to have a good outcome. People were on the side performing CPR on someone. Appeared to be a car bicycle accident as there was a mangled bike in the street. Prayers to the victims family.

Steve Jacob 1 year, 9 months ago

Think the only problem with that intersection is the speed limit. People turning, car or bike, underestimate how fast cars are coming.

Jean Robart 1 year, 9 months ago

Maybe the cars should slow down, and pedestrian and bicyclists should be a lot more vigilant---and walkers should walk facing traffic.

Jean Robart 1 year, 9 months ago

You are so right! But will "they" listen to a voice of reason?

usesomesense 1 year, 9 months ago

That intersection should never have existed. Originally there was just a stop sign for traffic going across the traffic way. A traffic way should have exits, not intersections. They should have either extended the road from the playing fields to E900 to utilize the Clinton Parkway exit or engineered an overpass where the current intersection is (which would be the better although much more expensive option). You just don't put something targeted at kids and/or physical activities (ie: running, biking, hiking) where the only practical access is by crossing a 65+ mph highway. We've been lucky so far - once the highway is complete the danger will be exponential.

Left_of_Lawrence 1 year, 9 months ago

I certainly agree that a traffic way should NOT have intersections. Maybe, if enough of us get together, we could get a bicycle/pedestrian overpass built here.

LawrenceTownie 1 year, 9 months ago

As much as this road is traveled now, and with the parks to the west of the light, perhaps a bridge crossing would be best here in place of the light. The speed on this road should be a deterrent for any walkers and bicyclists on the road itself. Too dangerous.

elliottaw 1 year, 9 months ago

A tunnel under the road would be better due to the number of bicyclist who cross there

Stuart Evans 1 year, 9 months ago

Nearly every day I ride my bike through that very spot, and nearly every day I see a car hammer on the gas pedal to beat the yellow light. Not only that, but you also have people blowing through the stop sign on the frontage road (27th). This is a high-traffic pedestrian crossing, which happens to be situated on a high-speed thoroughfare; we all need to pay more attention, and slow down, especially when pedestrians are present.

Topple 1 year, 9 months ago

I bike and drive through this intersection fairly often and haven't witnessed any close calls. Though, it does strike me as a dangerous design. Crosswalks for families to get to baseball fields and the arboretum, a 2-way stop, and a 65mph speed limit.

Perhaps they could drop the speed limit around the intersection, or create a pedestrian crossing above/below the road.

GardenMomma 1 year, 9 months ago

FYI, there is a stoplight to cross K10, not a two-way stop sign.

But still rather a dangerous intersection.

My prayers go out to everyone involved. The person who died and all the first responders and everyone else. It was terrible.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 9 months ago

Just wondering if the setting sun may have temporarily blinded one or the other.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 9 months ago

I may be misunderstanding you, but it appears that your first statement is that people should be banned from crossing K-10 at the traffic light where traffic is supposed to stop at a red light, and instead be forced to run for their lives across the street elsewhere, where the speed limit is 65 mph, and there is no traffic control at all.

Sarah St. John 1 year, 9 months ago

I was shocked and extremely grieved to hear this news this morning. This person was a very dear friend to many and the family is in anguish. I have rarely met a happier person in life and I can't really get my head around this news.

When commenting, please bear in mind the usual caveats....

mira 1 year, 9 months ago

Please have some respect. Now is not the time for blame. She was a friend of mine. I am in shock as are her friends and family. My thoughts are with her family and friends.

myownme 1 year, 9 months ago

myownme 1 year, 9 months ago

My condolences to the victim, her family, and friends.

Jan Roberts 1 year, 9 months ago